Sponsored by:

Vektor Headers on .2 GTS, install and quick review

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 12:30 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 635 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Zylinderkopfdichtung
Did you have to pry and bend it out? My fear was damaging the studs in the block.

One related to from my experience: chase the threads of the studs using some M8-1.25 nuts before reassembly. Use high temperature anti-seize on of the studs.
No prying, just a lot of wiggling. I think my friend was just curious as on my own installed we double nutted the stud and removed it. Every installs guide mentions a similar approach.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:44 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 186 Posts

A few quick thoughts while it’s fresh:

As stated elsewhere, 1/4 tools help a ton. Here’s what I bought:

Snap-on BLPXZN1410 1/4" Drive Metric 10 mm/XZN10 Triple Square Stubby Bit Socket

Snap-on TMCOM12 1/4" Drive Metric 12 mm Open-End Crowfoot Wrench

The Triple Square works well in tight spaces, and I had no issues reinstalling the OEM nuts. Some spots require a swivel, and even then there a few scuff marks on header finish. Getting it back together was pretty easy.

The crowfoot is still thick enough to still be a pain. It would get pinched between the nut flange and one of the turbo oil lines. I used it to loosed the dreaded driver side top nut, but I think it was most useful for reassembly where it’s tough to torque the header to turbo flange straight on, and to hold the driver side top nut during reassembly. For disassembly, use a 12mm socket with a swivel or two to get to the driver side top nut.

Reinstalling the forward most torx for the heat shield is a pain. I found that a small drop of super glue does a great job holding the torx but to the bolt and it comes off cleanly ones tightened.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:37 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

I came across this neat little set of Triple Square Swivels that should work very well also...

VIM Tools Swivel Triple Square

A buddy of mine tells me Snap-On has a similar set, but the cost is much higher as you might expect.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:46 PM
markk222
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 12mm nut

Hey Basic,
can you share where you found a 12 mm size nut that the 13mm will slip over. I can’t locate one for the life of me. If you could pm me, I have a few more question on the removal/instal.
thanks!

Quick Reply: Vektor Headers on .2 GTS, install and quick review