Sponsored by:

Vektor Headers on .2 GTS, install and quick review

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
i might be wrong, but their exhaust and cats are paired together, but headers are separate. Especially considering flsupraguy just said he have all these mods minus the exhaust.

Unless someone starts sharing more experiences, so far we only know fabspeed headers alone had no increase in performance / sound, which is one of the key reasons i ended going with vektor headers. Because the assumption based on design and early reviews, it was the only header that would make a difference in sound and performance (alone, when not paired with cats). So far that parts been proven with my experience, but we have to see about the "only" part.
There's a definite change in sound from the fabspeed headers. No power? Where are you getting your info?
Old 10-11-2018, 05:26 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
There's a definite change in sound from the fabspeed headers. No power? Where are you getting your info?
check out sbaracing’s experience from this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1039...iscussion.html

to be very clear, I’m referring to header swap only; which from my research, very few people have done so far. Most people went with headers + cats all in one go.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Whose car is this, and where can I find more vids/info?

Old 10-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Psorcery
Banned

check out sbaracing’s experience from this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1039...iscussion.html

to be very clear, I’m referring to header swap only; which from my research, very few people have done so far. Most people went with headers + cats all in one go.
This is from his post

3. While I was under the impression that since 1 didn’t make any diff, I was surprised to find out that with both headers and sport cats, I did feel a noticeable improvement over sport cats only. It felt much quicker than the all stock, and it also felt quicker than sport cats only. I’m not so sure why, but I tested it again just to be sure and it is noticeably quicker with hears and sport cats (3) vs just sport cars (2).

These were my findings and I’m not sure I can explain why. And there may be a chart out there that may show that I lost something somewhere, but for a feels prospective, I feel like the car is significantly quicker with (3) than any other setup I tried.
He said he felt the most significant gains with the sport cats and the headers vs just the sport cats or just the headers..

Perhaps the stock cats are very restrictive? Either way, it's not much of a scientific test. The best way to test out wether these cars are picking up power from mods is 3rd, and 4th gear+. In these ranges the car spends more time in higher RPMS where gains from headers are made.

I have fabpseed headers and bypass pipes. My setup sounds different than cars with only sport cats/no headers. I'm also Cobb tuned but in 3rd and 4th coming up on the last 2-3K RPMS the car pulls tremendously stronger.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:49 PM
basic666
Racer

This is from his post

He said he felt the most significant gains with the sport cats and the headers vs just the sport cats or just the headers..

Perhaps the stock cats are very restrictive? Either way, it's not much of a scientific test. The best way to test out wether these cars are picking up power from mods is 3rd, and 4th gear+. In these ranges the car spends more time in higher RPMS where gains from headers are made.

I have fabpseed headers and bypass pipes. My setup sounds different than cars with only sport cats/no headers. I'm also Cobb tuned but in 3rd and 4th coming up on the last 2-3K RPMS the car pulls tremendously stronger.
I think if you are gonna quote, you should quote the entire statement, here's the part that you missed

"With headers swap only, I couldn’t feel any diff from full stock OE."

And more from a post below
"I didnt hear any noticeable diff in sound with the headers. I feel like the only diff in sound was effected by the sport cats."

Another poster below that confirmed with similar findings.

"I have done this same succession of exhaust part swaps and have found the same thing. I did not have the time to dyno but can confirm that the sport cats by itself is the key to making additional power on the 9A2. Sport headers in junction with sport cats make the car even stronger but the sport headers with all else stock does not feel this way. I can only assume the issue is that without the oem cats replaced, the oem cats are not able to utilize the additional flow from the sport headers."

If we all agree to take what SBA said as a data point, I can confidently say that's not the case for the set of vektor headers. I will try to record some clips over the weekend, but the car's sound have greatly improved with just a header swap. And i'm not trying to talk down on fabspeed headers, as according to SBA, they did show improvement when paired with sport cats.

i hope i don't sound like a total douche with a lot of confirmation bias, but these were the data points i used before deciding to take the plunge with the vektor headers
Old 10-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Psorcery
Banned

By all means take and make vids.. No douchery here lol. The more info we have, the better!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 PM
basic666
Racer

By all means take and make vids.. No douchery here lol. The more info we have, the better!
Exactly, thats the way i see it. It's really hard to depend on some of these manufactures as the source of truth. Us early adopters are the ones who are paving the way lol.

Btw i believe that car is from flsupraguy, he has a red car and mentioned he modded his center exhaust to the sides, he's also got the kline headers
Old 10-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Exactly, thats the way i see it. It's really hard to depend on some of these manufactures as the source of truth. Us early adopters are the ones who are paving the way lol.

Btw i believe that car is from flsupraguy, he has a red car and mentioned he modded his center exhaust to the sides, he's also got the kline headers
He has an X pipe with quad tips... This exhaust is straight from the turbos out with not cross section. I wonder how this car runs.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 796 Posts

He has an X pipe with quad tips... This exhaust is straight from the turbos out with not cross section. I wonder how this car runs.
Runs great! here's a video with no cats and agency power exhaust before kline headers https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm4DjE_HxCC/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11pboia8nigrj

Here's dyno vid with headers and all mods 450/450 on a mustang dyno so about 500/500 on a dyno jet (common cobb give me a e85 tune )
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoZhNbslcB5/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=jt29vop64mz4

Old 10-12-2018, 02:04 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 586 Likes on 395 Posts

If we all agree to take what SBA said as a data point, I can confidently say that's not the case for the set of vektor headers. I will try to record some clips over the weekend, but the car's sound have greatly improved with just a header swap. And i'm not trying to talk down on fabspeed headers, as according to SBA, they did show improvement when paired with sport cats.

i hope i don't sound like a total douche with a lot of confirmation bias, but these were the data points i used before deciding to take the plunge with the vektor headers
I made a rough comparison between the Fabspeed and Vektor headers with the available data. Different dynos, different cars, unknown test conditions with the Fabspeed dyno, but both cars had stock tunes and only headers swap. Fabspeed says Carrera on their dyno chart, the car MotoIQ tested was a Carrera S. I drew in some lines on the dyno charts to take out some of the noise. I calculated % change as the Fabspeed Carrera put down higher numbers on the dynojet than the MotoIQ Carrera S on the Mustang. So % change is the best reference as the baselines are completely off due to different dynos/cars/etc. Of course, there is some error in my eye-balling the dyno charts. Everyone is welcome to repeat the same exercise.

Of course, there are the material differences of 304 vs 321 and everyone can research that on their own. TLDR, 321 is stronger in header applications where there are welds and also high temperatures are experienced. Here is one link:
http://www.penflex.com/the-advantage...vs-304304l-ss/

@PTS-BRG
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...ew-several-use
couple is used of small numbers most of the time, but usually at least two or more.
few is less than many or most, and could be as much as couple or more than couple.
in common use, several is often more than a couple and a few, though it is sometimes the same as both and occasionally more than a few.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:11 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 586 Likes on 395 Posts

I have fabspeed headers and bypass pipes. My setup sounds different than cars with only sport cats/no headers. I'm also Cobb tuned but in 3rd and 4th coming up on the last 2-3K RPMS the car pulls tremendously stronger.
Figure the double wall stainless stock headers act as a bit of a muffler compared to single wall aftermarket. And cats act as a muffler too. Also, as far as spacing of exhaust pulses, the aftermarket headers have different runner lengths and flow separation than the stock headers, so one could expect headers to change both tone and pattern.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Marc D Gonsalves
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I made a rough comparison between the Fabspeed and Vektor headers with the available data. Different dynos, different cars, unknown test conditions with the Fabspeed dyno, but both cars had stock tunes and only headers swap. Fabspeed says Carrera on their dyno chart, the car MotoIQ tested was a Carrera S. I drew in some lines on the dyno charts to take out some of the noise. I calculated % change as the Fabspeed Carrera put down higher numbers on the dynojet than the MotoIQ Carrera S on the Mustang. So % change is the best reference as the baselines are completely off due to different dynos/cars/etc. Of course, there is some error in my eye-balling the dyno charts. Everyone is welcome to repeat the same exercise.

Of course, there are the material differences of 304 vs 321 and everyone can research that on their own. TLDR, 321 is stronger in header applications where there are welds and also high temperatures are experienced. Here is one link:
http://www.penflex.com/the-advantage...vs-304304l-ss/
Wow spdracerut. Nice analysis! Is there not a Dyno chart on Kline headers? I’ve been having trouble finding any info on those.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:07 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,252 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut

Got this picture from BBI and you can search many others or just go look at your car. You can see the stock headers sits about even with the pan.

Oh, and by the way, Porsche designed new headers for the 992 to make more power. They ditched the 991.2 stamped steel headers and are going to a cast header.

This is all I needed to see. All of the drama and commotion and name calling over nothing. They clearly do not sit 3 inches lower than stock. But even if they sat 5 inches lower than stock and still cleared, No one would care, they filled a space. That's clever design. Using every inch available for softest curve.
They clear. The picture shows there is no clearance issue at all.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

4 point 0: You talk a lot of smack and you clearly have money to play so lets make a bet and the forum will be the Judge.

I will bet you $10,000 USD CASH that the bottom of the Vektor Header on driver side sits 3 inches lower than the OEM Header does.
If they "clearly" do not sit 3 inches lower than I just paid for your Vectors and your Akra Exhaust.

Now its time to put up or shut up. I'm tired of your nonsense and X ray eyes that can see HP and flow and 10mm and my wife naked in a thong.
If its 2 1/2 to 3" I win. If its NO LOWER or anything less than 2 1/2 inches you win. Since you say its NO LOWER then 2 1/2" is a mile

I am calling you out right here and now. Put up the 10k or STFU. We can send the money via PP to anyone on the forum who wishes to be the Escrow, I dont care who, maybe a Moderator.
I will go and measure the stock header with video to show my tire pressure isnt 75lbs and that its a real 12" ruler. You do the same or we can use the OP photo as the gauge.

So what say you my Ozzie lover?
Old 10-12-2018, 06:52 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
4 point 0: You talk a lot of smack and you clearly have money to play so lets make a bet and the forum will be the Judge.

I will bet you $10,000 USD CASH that the bottom of the Vektor Header on driver side sits 3 inches lower than the OEM Header does.
If they "clearly" do not sit 3 inches lower than I just paid for your Vectors and your Akra Exhaust.

Now its time to put up or shut up. I'm tired of your nonsense and X ray eyes that can see HP and flow and 10mm and my wife naked in a thong.
If its 2 1/2 to 3" I win. If its NO LOWER or anything less than 2 1/2 inches you win. Since you say its NO LOWER then 2 1/2" is a mile

I am calling you out right here and now. Put up the 10k or STFU. We can send the money via PP to anyone on the forum who wishes to be the Escrow, I dont care who, maybe a Moderator.
I will go and measure the stock header with video to show my tire pressure isnt 75lbs and that its a real 12" ruler. You do the same or we can use the OP photo as the gauge.

So what say you my Ozzie lover?
PTS-BRG 3 inches sure means a lot to you.... compensating for something jk

Quick Reply: Vektor Headers on .2 GTS, install and quick review