Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Thanks Tom. I have a 2014 991.1 TTS. What model would I be looking for, the V3?
Your 991.1 TTS takes DSC V3 controller. We have a superb calibration file for the TTS! The cal file was created by Mike Levitas for his personal car. Mike is a pro race driver and engineer with high credentials, he accepts no compromise between performance and comfort from his TTS.

Originally Posted by Penn4S
And have you had the DSC out long enough to have good feedback on any long term issues?
sal
DSC is relatively new, both the company and the products are only 6 years old. The DSC products and technology are revolutionary evident by hundreds of positive reviews here on rennlist alone, accompanied by esteemed awards from SEMA and nomination for SEMA manufacturer of the year for 2018.
As for long term issues, there's no sugar coating here, the truth is no company can really offer a long term issue-free guarantee on a high performance product. Modifying any car to exceed the original factory performance level we all have to accept a reasonable level of risk. Fortunately, in this case the risk level is very low(its not like increasing 300hp to blow the engine or transmission). This product's function is to commands the dampers. Worse case after 50K miles of rough usage you might need to buy a set of shocks.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:32 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DSC order placed!
Old 10-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
One for Tom @ TPC: Curious to hear more about how DSC may or may not harness the active mounts in cars with the option. Does it have to be configured to do so, or does it recognize the mounts and integrate them?
Great question!! For all 991/981 models, DSC also controls the Dynamic Engine Mounts.
In the DSC software the Dynamic Engine Mount commands are under "Driveline".

Once you selected to view Driveline mode, in the G-Force tab are the commands to each Dynamic Engine Mount in DSC Normal mode and in DSC Sport mode.
In this example image here the zero amount of g-force is highlighted in the g-table. At zero amount of g-force the commands are illustrated inside the red circle.

Here are the commands for each Dynamic Engine Mount during 1.0g cornering.

The factory commands are full soft in the middle range of the g-force table. This can be felt when driving a slalom when the g-force moves abruptly from left to right and vice versa, and can be felt when abruptly transitioning from throttle and braking. In factory form the commands feel like an off/on switch. The DSC Engine Mount commands fill in the hole in the mapping nicely. This feature further adds value to the DSC by making the mounts work as if the user bought and installed at set of motorsport mount! And of course DSC users can adjustment how stiff their engine mount commands are using DSC software.
The following users liked this post:
Croc999 (08-14-2020)
Old 10-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 917 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Great question!! For all 991/981 models, DSC also controls the Dynamic Engine Mounts.

Once you selected to view Driveline mode, in the G-Force tab are the commands to each Dynamic Engine Mount in DSC Normal mode and in DSC Sport mode.
In this example image here the zero amount of g-force is highlighted in the g-table. At zero amount of g-force the commands are illustrated inside the red circle.

The factory commands are full soft in the middle range of the g-force table. This can be felt when driving a slalom when the g-force moves abruptly from left to right and vice versa, and can be felt when abruptly transitioning from throttle and braking. In factory form the commands feel like an off/on switch. The DSC Engine Mount commands fill in the hole in the mapping nicely. This feature further adds value to the DSC by making the mounts work as if the user bought and installed at set of motorsport mount! And of course DSC users can adjustment how stiff their engine mount commands are using DSC software.
Super helpful info here Tom. Do you offer a pre-set maps? I don't want to get too much into messing around with my stock settings on my V2. I would like something that is slightly stiffer in SportMode. My normal mode is perfect.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

On the site I was not able to find a lot of documentation on how to use especially for a street car. Want to spend more time driving and less fidgeting
Old 10-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Your 991.1 TTS takes DSC V3 controller. We have a superb calibration file for the TTS! The cal file was created by Mike Levitas for his personal car. Mike is a pro race driver and engineer with high credentials, he accepts no compromise between performance and comfort from his TTS.

DSC is relatively new, both the company and the products are only 6 years old. The DSC products and technology are revolutionary evident by hundreds of positive reviews here on rennlist alone, accompanied by esteemed awards from SEMA and nomination for SEMA manufacturer of the year for 2018.
As for long term issues, there's no sugar coating here, the truth is no company can really offer a long term issue-free guarantee on a high performance product. Modifying any car to exceed the original factory performance level we all have to accept a reasonable level of risk. Fortunately, in this case the risk level is very low(its not like increasing 300hp to blow the engine or transmission). This product's function is to commands the dampers. Worse case after 50K miles of rough usage you might need to buy a set of shocks.

Tom
Thank very much for the quick and thoughtful response. I am traveling for the next few weeks. Once back I'll reach out to get an order to you guys. Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:39 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
On the site I was not able to find a lot of documentation on how to use especially for a street car. Want to spend more time driving and less fidgeting
I don't believe we actually wrote a manual on how to use the DSC(although we should have, and we will) since each unit come already programmed with calibration file, and that the core function of DSC is adjust the dampers and engine mounts actively while you drive. So pretty much just let DSC do the work that was programmed to do- Install, drive, and enjoy in improved comfort, balance, and stability. Like you said, spend more time driving and less fidgeting(or no fidgeting at all).
There is a 16-page DSC Software Users Manual for those who wants to make changes to the standard DSC calibration file to suit there personal preference. For stats, around 95% of the DSC users enjoy it their DSC as delivered.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
Super helpful info here Tom. Do you offer a pre-set maps? I don't want to get too much into messing around with my stock settings on my V2. I would like something that is slightly stiffer in SportMode. My normal mode is perfect.

Thanks!
Yes, I have made and stored hundreds of maps(aka calibration files) for DSC users worldwide. Send me an email request and I'll reply with the map to suit your description. My email is: tchan@tpcracing.com
Old 10-08-2018, 04:54 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

For all 991/981 models, DSC also controls the Dynamic Engine Mounts....
The factory commands are full soft in the middle range of the g-force table...In factory form the commands feel like an off/on switch.

The DSC Engine Mount commands fill in the hole in the mapping nicely.
Awesome information, keep it coming! I've been looking at a manual base that was optioned pretty much as I wanted, but didn't have Sport Chrono. I could care less about the dash timer, can live without auto-blip, but knowing that the DSC controller also does active feedback control of the dynamic engine mounts makes me want to hold out for a SC car....
Old 10-08-2018, 06:04 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

VERY interesting. The only reason I ordered Sport Chrono this time around was for the variable engine mounts—and the reason I almost didn't order Sport Chrono was the rev-matching feature in the Sport and Sport Plus modes. While I doubt DSC can be used to defeat rev-matching (which must be tied to the powertrain), will it (or can it be configured to) stiffen the mounts and dampers if the car is driven enthusiastically on the Normal mode?

Thanks again for the answer above, Tom!

pete
Old 10-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

VERY interesting. The only reason I ordered Sport Chrono this time around was for the variable engine mounts—and the reason I almost didn't order Sport Chrono was the rev-matching feature in the Sport and Sport Plus modes. While I doubt DSC can be used to defeat rev-matching (which must be tied to the powertrain)
While the DSC cannot be programmed to defeat the factory-rev matching feature, I have accidentally stumbled upon defeating it once. Actually a customer of mine did by accidentally bending one of the contact pins during the installation(which is pretty difficult to do but he did it). In his case everything else worked fine and had no error codes. I forgot exactly which pin it was but that bent pin severed a comm line to defeat rev-matching. The positive thing that came out of this incident is knowing that rev-matching can be shut off without any error codes by disrupting one signal. Which leads me to believe that rev-matching may be able to be coded out with a PIWIS or with a COBB Accessport. I'd think that as ridiculous as this sounds, there has to be(or will be) a country, a province, or a city somewhere that the law prohibits auto reving in neutral or between gearshift for the reason of noise or unnecessary pollution thus the car maker must have a way at the dealer level to code it out.

will it (or can it be configured to) stiffen the mounts and dampers if the car is driven enthusiastically on the Normal mode?
Yes, Absolutely, DSC does this already. And it can be programmed to stiffen more or less than the standard DSC mapping in each mode.

Thanks again for the answer above, Tom!
My pleasure! I live for this sort of thing!
The following users liked this post:
Croc999 (08-14-2020)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:31 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

While the DSC cannot be programmed to defeat the factory-rev matching feature, I have accidentally stumbled upon defeating it once. Actually a customer of mine did by accidentally bending one of the contact pins during the installation(which is pretty difficult to do but he did it). In his case everything else worked fine and had no error codes. I forgot exactly which pin it was but that bent pin severed a comm line to defeat rev-matching. The positive thing that came out of this incident is knowing that rev-matching can be shut off without any error codes by disrupting one signal. Which leads me to believe that rev-matching may be able to be coded out with a PIWIS or with a COBB Accessport. I'd think that as ridiculous as this sounds, there has to be(or will be) a country, a province, or a city somewhere that the law prohibits auto reving in neutral or between gearshift for the reason of noise or unnecessary pollution thus the car maker must have a way at the dealer level to code it out.

Yes, Absolutely, DSC does this already. And it can be programmed to stiffen more or less than the standard DSC mapping in each mode.

My pleasure! I live for this sort of thing!
^ Now beyond glad I ordered a car with Sport Chrono.

Just had a friend here who might have coded the rev-match out, but will ask about this next time my car is near a PIWIS, which will be soon. Would love to get rid of it. Ideally, it could be enabled/disabled in Settings by the owner/operator in the way some manufacturers allow the owner to enable/disable hill hold, but I know that would make too much sense.

My DSC is headed back your way for a tuneup and update for nose lift. Excited to finally give this a try!
Old 10-09-2018, 06:01 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Just ordered mine, cant wait
Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Stout
you can disable rev match in Sport and Sport + by holding down the traction control for 2-3 sec until you see yellow warning in your dash.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:13 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
Stout
you can disable rev match in Sport and Sport + by holding down the traction control for 2-3 sec until you see yellow warning in your dash.
Yep, but am of two minds on this: The gain is attractive, but the loss of a safety net that never bothers me or intrudes (preferred driving style "neat and tidy"/smooth rather than "pitch and catch"/loose) isn't something that appeals to me so much...

It's really too bad Porsche didn't put rev-matching into "Settings" under "Vehicle" on the digital dial in the dash—or allowed more individualization in the "I" mode of Sport Chrono. Would have been perfection. Of course, it's bad on the GT4, too. Want extra cooling? Rev match comes with it, too...

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module