Sponsored by:

PDK Failure & Outcome Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:18 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonpdx
You all are giving me the heebie jeebies about my PDK in my 2012.5. I have another year of CPO, so there is that. Almost makes me want to sell my car and move to the 996TT. Yikes!
Check into an extended warranty for the drivetrain after CPO lapses. Or, get a detailed diagnostic & inspection (as in slip the shop foreman a Benjamin or two to do a 'real' inspection) of the PDK before the CPO warranty lapses.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:41 AM
cclcal
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

great, I guess im going look into fidelity warranty. I had it for the Audi A8 and it was well worth it. Paid for itself in the first 2 years.

All these folks calling fidelity, they might decide to hike up the prices with all these inquiries
Old 10-08-2018, 12:43 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by cclcal
great, I guess im going look into fidelity warranty. I had it for the Audi A8 and it was well worth it. Paid for itself in the first 2 years.

All these folks calling fidelity, they might decide to hike up the prices with all these inquiries
Inquiries won't cause the prices to rise. But losses most certainly will.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 AM
cclcal
Instructor

well as more owners of these older cars buy the warranty, more losses are sure to occur. Prob should buy now before the price goes up.

what are the ball park figures people are getting for comprehensive warranty vs drivetrain warranty...
Old 10-08-2018, 02:12 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

I have fidelity Gold. Does anyone know if it covers the PDK? It seems that you have to have the platinum to get the PDK replaced, everything else is covering only part of the transmission, which is useless for the PDK. Is that correct?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:31 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Good advice with keeping these cars under warranty. I have a DSG S4, and a PDK 911. 2k miles before the warranty was out on my S4, the transmission failed and required full replacement, luckily under Fidelity Warranty which they fully covered besides the $250 deductible. 4-5 weeks later, I finally got my car back. Luckily the transmission comes with a 1 year/12k mile warranty but I don't have much faith in dual clutches after my experience. In a couple of years, I will probably trade the 911 in on a 6 speed Porsche. In the mean time, it is under CPO and when that runs out, a Fidelity powertrain warranty will be added.
Same question here, don't think that the Fidelity powertrain warranty would cover the PDK. This is what they cover on the transmission under their powertrain warranty:
TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/TRANSFER CASE
Transmission/transaxle case and all internally lubricated parts including ring and pinion gears; oil pump, cover, gears, housing and vanes; torque converter; valve body(s); throttle valve; valve pack; governor, gear and cover; parking gear and pawl; roll pins; sprags; sprockets; chain; springs; stator and shaft; pressure regulator valve; pressure switches; solenoids; bands; automatic transmission/transaxle clutch, drums, pistons and steel plates; planetary and sun gears; servos and rings; blockers; synchronizer hubs and keys; bearings; bushings; supports and shafts; control rings; yoke; extension housing; speedometer drive gears; accumulators and rings; adjusters; all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; separate bell housing; transfer case and all internal parts contained within the transfer case; seals and gaskets.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:39 PM
AndyR911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well as more owners of these older cars buy the warranty, more losses are sure to occur. Prob should buy now before the price goes up.

what are the ball park figures people are getting for comprehensive warranty vs drivetrain warranty...
Last week, I just bought a Fidelity platinum 10 year/100k mile extended warranty for my 2013 4S (9,550 miles) for ~$4k. I thought it was a no brainer after reading all these stories of PDK failures lol.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:39 PM
cclcal
Instructor

interesting...i will prob bring this up to Porsche service to see if they can shed light on this.

However, Fidelity Platinum is not that much more $ than Gold
Old 10-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
Same question here, don't think that the Fidelity powertrain warranty would cover the PDK. This is what they cover on the transmission under their powertrain warranty:
TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/TRANSFER CASE
Transmission/transaxle case and all internally lubricated parts including ring and pinion gears; oil pump, cover, gears, housing and vanes; torque converter; valve body(s); throttle valve; valve pack; governor, gear and cover; parking gear and pawl; roll pins; sprags; sprockets; chain; springs; stator and shaft; pressure regulator valve; pressure switches; solenoids; bands; automatic transmission/transaxle clutch, drums, pistons and steel plates; planetary and sun gears; servos and rings; blockers; synchronizer hubs and keys; bearings; bushings; supports and shafts; control rings; yoke; extension housing; speedometer drive gears; accumulators and rings; adjusters; all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; separate bell housing; transfer case and all internal parts contained within the transfer case; seals and gaskets.
I had Fidelity Powertrain warranty on my S4 and they covered the DSG replacement, for $11k.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:44 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

So I did some research today on Fidelity Powertrain Warranty and PDK coverage. No one could give me a clear answer. Fidelity people are super arrogant and dont have any clue. I have called few Porsche dealerships and the service people couldn't give me a clear answer. All of them told me if you want to be on the safe side, go platinum, but I don't want to pay half of the price of the transmission for something what has a likelihood of less than 20%. Platinum for my higher mileage car costs for 5 years over 8k USD. Would be great if someone with direct experience and PDK failure and replacement of Fidelity Powertrain warranty could report.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:57 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by AndyR911
Last week, I just bought a Fidelity platinum 10 year/100k mile extended warranty for my 2013 4S (9,550 miles) for ~$4k. I thought it was a no brainer after reading all these stories of PDK failures lol.
Does the coverage start counting from the day you purchased the warranty (expiration ~September, 2028)? Date first sold (expiration ~2023)? Or? If from date purchased, that might be a good approach: Factory warranty > CPO > Fidelity. You could potentially have warranty coverage out to 16 years (4 + 2 + 10). With the potential for a $20-$25K repair on just the PDK, that would seem to give significant peace of mind.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:18 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Fidelity (and other VSCs I've looked into) start from the date you purchase the contract. For example, if you buy a freshly CPO'd car that's out of factory warranty, a 5 year VSC would give you 3 years after the CPO expires. My car is already 6 years old, I've been offered a Fidelity contract as long as 6 years, for a total of 12 years of coverage since new.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
So I did some research today on Fidelity Powertrain Warranty and PDK coverage. No one could give me a clear answer. Fidelity people are super arrogant and dont have any clue. I have called few Porsche dealerships and the service people couldn't give me a clear answer. All of them told me if you want to be on the safe side, go platinum, but I don't want to pay half of the price of the transmission for something what has a likelihood of less than 20%. Platinum for my higher mileage car costs for 5 years over 8k USD. Would be great if someone with direct experience and PDK failure and replacement of Fidelity Powertrain warranty could report.
I have asked Michael Jourdan the same question with no response. Then I went on Fleabay and see used ones for my car not that highly priced. If the powertrain would cover it I would go that way but if not or no answer, I'm fine. Good luck to all!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:04 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I thought it was a given that the Fidelity Platinum covers PDK replacement.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I thought it was a given that the Fidelity Platinum covers PDK replacement.
We are talking about the Fidelity powertrain or/and Gold Warranty. Platinum should cover PDK.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure & Outcome Story