Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Failure & Outcome Story

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022 | 02:02 AM
Flexipino
Instructor

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Look at the bright side - you started the potential lemon law record with only 158 miles on the odometer. If the car spends more than 30 days total time in the shop or there are more than 4 visits for the same repair (PDK failure), then you will get almost all of your money back in a lemon law repurchase.

If it were me, I would keep my powder dry. If this is the only problem, then enjoy the car. If there are more problems down the road, then CA's lemon law is on your side.
I have not raised any war flags at all. Had great conversations with virtually everyone at the dealership during all my visits. In the end, I want it back to enjoy as if it were new.
Old 06-30-2022 | 12:44 AM
Ed99
Pro

Gosh...if its not Bore Scoring and IMS on 997 generation and now its a PDK failure for 991's. To think of it, is this the way Porsche makes more money on their cars? Engine replacement...PDK replacement all cost over $20K easy.

Does 991.2 have PDK failure as well or is it more common on the 991.1's?
Old 06-30-2022 | 02:21 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed99
Gosh...if its not Bore Scoring and IMS on 997 generation and now its a PDK failure for 991's. To think of it, is this the way Porsche makes more money on their cars? Engine replacement...PDK replacement all cost over $20K easy.

Does 991.2 have PDK failure as well or is it more common on the 991.1's?
I had the same question. I also wonder if Turbos and TurboS have fewer failures. I think the Turbo PDKs are different.
Old 06-30-2022 | 04:46 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jabellas
Not to add fuel to this ongoing fire, but I just had a *second* PDK failure on my 2011 987.2 Boxster base. I purchased the car October of 2019 from a Porsche/Audi dealer. There were no service records available with the car at the time of purchase and I have verified with Herb Chambers Porsche that there were none that they had access to. They said that they had done a thorough inspection of the car and that there were no issues. There was a clean carfax and it showed it had been serviced at Porsche dealer mostly. The car performed flawlessly for a number of months. One day, I believe late 2019, early 2020 the car started throwing a transmission overheating message when it clearly was not, in light city traffic. If I turned it off and back on the warning would go away but finally the car just stopped in traffic and I took it to my local dealer in Boston. I have been buying and servicing cars at Herb Chambers for 35 years and they are always excellent - expensive for sure, but worth it. They diagnosed a problem with the sensor and the repair came to if memory serves right around $2,500. Luckily this was covered by the third party insurance - Fidelity Gold - so I was only out the deductible.

I picked up the car and drove it to work and all was fine. On the way back home that afternoon I am on a parkway driving around 40mph and under steady throttle the car's revs were bouncing up and down rhythmically by 100 to 200 revs. Instead of going home, I drove straight to Herb Chambers and left the car there for them to check it out. After diagnosis they determined that the transmission needed to be replaced, which they did. Again, Fidelity warranty took care of the repair and I was only out of pocket for the deductible - invoice. The car was fine from when I picked it up in April 2020 until recently.

A couple of weeks ago, I was backing out of a parking spot and the car started 'skipping' in a very disconcerting way. When I put it in drive, it was fine and drove fine the two miles home from where I was. When I got home and went to park it, it started doing the same, skipping and losing power and it felt like the transmission was slipping. I immediately had it flat bedded to Herb Chambers. They have diagnosed that the transmission needs to be replaced *again*. The replacement which will be @ $14k if it is like the last one, will put the amount claimed on the warranty over the price of the car when I bought it and the Warranty will not cover it or won't cover the full amount. This is two years and only 6k miles since it was installed!

I do not drive this car anywhere near its limits, it is used mainly for city commuting to work with a few trips to our summer home an hour and a half away and elsewhere. I have never taken it to a track, rarely if ever put it in sport mode, never over rev it, never drive aggressively.

I have reached out to Porsche and they are in conversation with my service advisor. All I can do is wait, but I really hope Porsche will do the right thing.
What an absolute bummer. Did they give you a factory warranty with the first replacement? If so, I assume it expired.

Not to derail your story, but I'm curious any your Fidelity plan. Do you have the Gold plan or the no-longer-available Gold Plus? If the former (Gold, which I purchased) can you share your experience with Fidelity in covering the repairs, both times? It sounds like it wasn't an issue, correct?

I ask because I've only read a couple anecdotes of the PDK being replaced under any plan OTHER THAN the platinum plan. It would help to know about your experience for the sake of adding more info into the forum.

Here's hoping Porsche comes through with a goodwill replacement!
Old 06-30-2022 | 10:06 PM
Ed99
Pro

Originally Posted by cpbmd
I had the same question. I also wonder if Turbos and TurboS have fewer failures. I think the Turbo PDKs are different.
That is a good question and maybe someone here would know the answer to the 991.1 and 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S. I am curious to know too.
Old 06-30-2022 | 10:10 PM
Flexipino
Instructor

Originally Posted by jabellas
Not to add fuel to this ongoing fire, but I just had a *second* PDK failure on my 2011 987.2 Boxster base. I purchased the car October of 2019 from a Porsche/Audi dealer. There were no service records available with the car at the time of purchase and I have verified with Herb Chambers Porsche that there were none that they had access to. They said that they had done a thorough inspection of the car and that there were no issues. There was a clean carfax and it showed it had been serviced at Porsche dealer mostly. The car performed flawlessly for a number of months. One day, I believe late 2019, early 2020 the car started throwing a transmission overheating message when it clearly was not, in light city traffic. If I turned it off and back on the warning would go away but finally the car just stopped in traffic and I took it to my local dealer in Boston. I have been buying and servicing cars at Herb Chambers for 35 years and they are always excellent - expensive for sure, but worth it. They diagnosed a problem with the sensor and the repair came to if memory serves right around $2,500. Luckily this was covered by the third party insurance - Fidelity Gold - so I was only out the deductible.

I picked up the car and drove it to work and all was fine. On the way back home that afternoon I am on a parkway driving around 40mph and under steady throttle the car's revs were bouncing up and down rhythmically by 100 to 200 revs. Instead of going home, I drove straight to Herb Chambers and left the car there for them to check it out. After diagnosis they determined that the transmission needed to be replaced, which they did. Again, Fidelity warranty took care of the repair and I was only out of pocket for the deductible - invoice. The car was fine from when I picked it up in April 2020 until recently.

A couple of weeks ago, I was backing out of a parking spot and the car started 'skipping' in a very disconcerting way. When I put it in drive, it was fine and drove fine the two miles home from where I was. When I got home and went to park it, it started doing the same, skipping and losing power and it felt like the transmission was slipping. I immediately had it flat bedded to Herb Chambers. They have diagnosed that the transmission needs to be replaced *again*. The replacement which will be @ $14k if it is like the last one, will put the amount claimed on the warranty over the price of the car when I bought it and the Warranty will not cover it or won't cover the full amount. This is two years and only 6k miles since it was installed!

I do not drive this car anywhere near its limits, it is used mainly for city commuting to work with a few trips to our summer home an hour and a half away and elsewhere. I have never taken it to a track, rarely if ever put it in sport mode, never over rev it, never drive aggressively.

I have reached out to Porsche and they are in conversation with my service advisor. All I can do is wait, but I really hope Porsche will do the right thing.
any update on your case?

Old 07-07-2022 | 05:27 PM
Flexipino
Instructor

Valve control body replaced and still did not solve the issue. They are contacting porsche for next steps.....sheesh
Old 07-08-2022 | 01:20 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by Flexipino
Valve control body replaced and still did not solve the issue. They are contacting porsche for next steps.....sheesh
Sounds like they are following up with Porsche after having exhausted the usual repair.
You are at least 1 failed repair ahead of where you were when you first dropped off the car. Keep track of total time in the shop. 30 days goes by real quick.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure & Outcome Story