Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Failure & Outcome Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018 | 11:53 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by john981
We are talking about the Fidelity powertrain or/and Gold Warranty. Platinum should cover PDK.
Ok, Good.

thx
Old 10-12-2018 | 04:34 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

update, PDK is fine! Leaking was from External Transmission cooler which is ordered for replacement.
Old 10-12-2018 | 05:29 PM
Jasonpdx
Intermediate

I am not going to worry anymore and just enjoy my car to the fullest! If it breaks! I'll fix and worry then, cheers fellas!
The following users liked this post:
McLaren997 (06-30-2022)
Old 10-12-2018 | 06:31 PM
G99x.y
Pro

What is coasting feature on the pdk? Is it like putting it in neutral? How does it get engaged?
Old 10-12-2018 | 07:26 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by snake eyes
update, PDK is fine! Leaking was from External Transmission cooler which is ordered for replacement.
Thx for the update and good to know it's a minor issue.
Old 10-12-2018 | 08:10 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by G99x.y
What is coasting feature on the pdk? Is it like putting it in neutral? How does it get engaged?

Coasting and the auto start/stop function

Where the situation allows, the coasting function is possible. By opening the clutches, the engine is decoupled from the transmission to prevent deceleration caused by engine braking. In this way, optimum use is made of the vehicle’s momentum, allowing it to coast for longer distances. This translates into a significant fuel saving. The auto start/ stop function included as standard also reduces fuel consumption.

From the imanual for the 991.2:

Driving in coasting mode
Coasting is driving with the engine disengaged at idle speed without the engine braking effect. The standard function is designed to increase efficiency and driving comfort, and is active by default. Coasting occurs after the accelerator pedal is fully released. When the accelerator pedal is pressed again the engine is quickly and easily engaged and coasting stops.

Prerequisites for automatic coasting mode
  1. Driving in selector lever position D.
  2. Cruise control function cannot be active.
  3. Engine, transmission and battery have reached operating temperature.
  4. No major inclines or slopes.
Initiating coasting mode manually
When adopting an anticipatory driving style, depending on the traffic, coasting can be initiated manually to increase efficiency. To do so use the gearshift paddle or the selector lever to manually shift up beyond the highest possible gear.

The same applies to the active use of the engine brake, for example driving up to a vehicle in front or a red light. More forceful braking or operating the gearshift paddle or selector lever can activate efficient engine overrun shut-off in these situations.

Personal note:

Although it says that it cannot be used with cruise control, I swear that when I use ACC (991.2), it will use the coasting function from time to time (going down hills) and kick it into neutral (~ 500-600 rpm). My previous 991.1 with ACC (and my previous 991.1 with cruise control only - I am on my third 991 lol) did not coast when the cruise control (or ACC) was on.
Old 10-12-2018 | 08:56 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

A little off topic here but when driving in manual mode and coming to a full stop do people shift from 2nd to 1st or just let it happen automatically?
Old 10-13-2018 | 01:32 AM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

I let the car shift down for me when in manual mode and coming to a stop.
Old 10-13-2018 | 10:19 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
For those thinking that a manual tranny would fix the problem.... it might... but just FYI the 991 manual tranny is actually a PDK tranny with a different clutch and an elaborate mechanism to map the gear shift inputs to the two-path (even/odd gears) shifting used by the PDK. If most of the PDK problems being reported happen to be in the clutch or auto-shifting mechanism then switching to a car with a manual tranny would help. Using a single transmission base for both allowed for a significant manufacturing cost savings of course..
I can vouch for this. I have a 2013 S with a 7MT that failed similar to what the OP describes - I lost reverse and all even gears. One savings grace of the MT was that I was able hobble home using the odd numbered gears. BTW, you don’t realize how tall 2nd gear is until you skip past it, you have to run 1st pretty much to the top to get enough speed to go to 3rd.

My problem happened on the back straight at VIR while shifting from 3 to 4, there simply was no 4. We determined that it wasn’t cable linkage related so I left the event early and drove straight to the dealership. They spent about two hours inspecting everything to make sure I hadn’t applied any warranty violating modifications (this is another important point - be careful about mods while under warranty). Once they were convinced everything was properly Porsche they took my car for a new transmission. All in all it took about a week, I replaced the clutch while they were at it since they offered to do so at 1/2 hour of labor.

Needless to say my CPO has more than paid for itself
Old 10-13-2018 | 10:44 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

in regards to Fidelity warranty, I have been reading the contract closely, I would say that PDK is FULLY covered under Gold plus (including the transmission cooler etc.) I dont see why it wouldn't be

the basic power train covers the transmission and all internally lubricated parts (which to my read is EVERYTHING of the transmission, gears, housing, plates torque converters, valves etc etc.)The Gold adds the trans oil pan, kick down link, and vacuum modulator and trans mounts. The Gold Plus adds trans cooler...which it seems like that's everything under "Transmission" . I will say that I will no go to Gold or Silver plan because there are some things that's not covered in those plans under the transmission section (as stated above)

I also ask my SA and he suggest going with Platinum (of course) but he said Gold plus will pretty much covers all the big ticket items (with a few exceptions of smaller, usually electrical things like hoses and switches etc. which will be a small cost )

I am still under CPO, but in a year or so I am going to go with a 6-7 years low miles Fidelity Gold Plus plan
Old 10-13-2018 | 11:59 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vodkag
in regards to Fidelity warranty, I have been reading the contract closely, I would say that PDK is FULLY covered under Gold plus (including the transmission cooler etc.) I dont see why it wouldn't be

the basic power train covers the transmission and all internally lubricated parts (which to my read is EVERYTHING of the transmission, gears, housing, plates torque converters, valves etc etc.)The Gold adds the trans oil pan, kick down link, and vacuum modulator and trans mounts. The Gold Plus adds trans cooler...which it seems like that's everything under "Transmission" . I will say that I will no go to Gold or Silver plan because there are some things that's not covered in those plans under the transmission section (as stated above)

I also ask my SA and he suggest going with Platinum (of course) but he said Gold plus will pretty much covers all the big ticket items (with a few exceptions of smaller, usually electrical things like hoses and switches etc. which will be a small cost )

I am still under CPO, but in a year or so I am going to go with a 6-7 years low miles Fidelity Gold Plus plan
This is a great catch. They have hidden it very cleverly. In the Gold contract, it seem that they cover the entire transmission. BUT... the Transmission control module is not covered under Gold, is covered under Gold plus (is hidden under electric parts) or Platinum. This is exactly the unit which is causing many of the failures in PDK. I will go and ask to upgrade for small money to Gold Plus or will cancel my Gold contract and go with Michael.
Old 10-24-2018 | 07:54 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jabs1542

I can vouch for this. I have a 2013 S with a 7MT that failed similar to what the OP describes - I lost reverse and all even gears. One savings grace of the MT was that I was able hobble home using the odd numbered gears. BTW, you don’t realize how tall 2nd gear is until you skip past it, you have to run 1st pretty much to the top to get enough speed to go to 3rd.

My problem happened on the back straight at VIR while shifting from 3 to 4, there simply was no 4. We determined that it wasn’t cable linkage related so I left the event early and drove straight to the dealership. They spent about two hours inspecting everything to make sure I hadn’t applied any warranty violating modifications (this is another important point - be careful about mods while under warranty). Once they were convinced everything was properly Porsche they took my car for a new transmission. All in all it took about a week, I replaced the clutch while they were at it since they offered to do so at 1/2 hour of labor.

Needless to say my CPO has more than paid for itself
Both our 991s are 7 speed and I noticed something interesting today - I have the window sticker for both and I noticed that the 2015 (base) lists the country of origin for the transmission as Japan, while the 2013 (S) lists the country of origin for the transmission as Germany. Not sure if this is a “base vs S” thing (doubtful - aren’t the transmissions the same between them?), “2013 vs. 2015” thing (that they were manufactured at one location to start, but were ultimately moved over to another facility), or what...I will say the 2015 transmission “feels” different in clutch engagement. Am I saying this is the source of failures? Absolutely NOT - just looking to see if there is a pattern or a higher likelihood in one scenario vs another. Curious as to what others think. -Dom
Old 12-25-2018 | 11:04 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Does this issue also effect Porsche in model years years (say 2002 to 2009)? Or is it only for fairly newer Porsches? I only ask because I am fairly new to Porsche and am looking/hoping to get a late 996 or an early 997 trip transmission, thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2018 | 12:38 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dom991.1

Both our 991s are 7 speed and I noticed something interesting today - I have the window sticker for both and I noticed that the 2015 (base) lists the country of origin for the transmission as Japan, while the 2013 (S) lists the country of origin for the transmission as Germany. Not sure if this is a “base vs S” thing (doubtful - aren’t the transmissions the same between them?), “2013 vs. 2015” thing (that they were manufactured at one location to start, but were ultimately moved over to another facility), or what...I will say the 2015 transmission “feels” different in clutch engagement. Am I saying this is the source of failures? Absolutely NOT - just looking to see if there is a pattern or a higher likelihood in one scenario vs another. Curious as to what others think. -Dom
I noticed that too on a window sticker someone posted earlier. I didn't know ZF was building transmissions in Japan, PDK or otherwise.
Old 12-26-2018 | 08:13 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pkalhan
Does this issue also effect Porsche in model years years (say 2002 to 2009)? Or is it only for fairly newer Porsches? I only ask because I am fairly new to Porsche and am looking/hoping to get a late 996 or an early 997 trip transmission, thanks in advance.
A triptonic transmission is just a normal torque converter transmission with some Porsche engineering to make it feel like a manual. PDK is a totally different animal (basically two manuals working different gears via double clutches). You should check the 996 and 997 forums to see if they have issues with tiptronics

Quick Reply: PDK Failure & Outcome Story