Sponsored by:

PDK Failure & Outcome Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:54 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa991
Was not aware Gintani made their own rod bearings...BE is the only way to go.
They don't make their own, it's just whatever bearings they use. The previous owner had them upgraded when they supercharged the car. Cost was $2800 for rod bearings
Old 05-14-2019, 03:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,249 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
The same way the PDK is put together, it should be serviceable. Sounds like it takes way too much time and money to fix, so they replace them instead of taking the time to fix. PDK failures are imminent, and yes, it will suck when one goes 20 years later. Should’ve been easier to work on.
Absolutely nothing lasts forever.

20 years from now most cars won't even have multi-gear transmissions. Perfect example - my 993 steering rack died. No one makes hydraulic steering racks any more for these cars (or any hardly at all)- the ones you buy are remanufactured from old cores. The cost is astronomical - retail ~$5k for what used to cost <$1k. If a PDK costs $40k today...>$100k replacement cost in the future??
Old 05-14-2019, 04:03 PM
Tampa991
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Absolutely nothing lasts forever.

20 years from now most cars won't even have multi-gear transmissions. Perfect example - my 993 steering rack died. No one makes hydraulic steering racks any more for these cars (or any hardly at all)- the ones you buy are remanufactured from old cores. The cost is astronomical - retail ~$5k for what used to cost <$1k. If a PDK costs $40k today...>$100k replacement cost in the future??
You can get a used PDK unit for $7k...inventory will continue to increase and perhaps drive the price down further. The same concern happened with the E9X M3 DCT units..dealer stated 25k for replacement in the beginning years. Now you can get used units for $2k or less.

Last edited by Tampa991; 05-14-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:21 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,249 Likes on 2,735 Posts

You can get a used PDK unit for $5k...inventory will continue to increase and perhaps drive the price down further. The same concern happened with the E9X M3 DCT units..dealer stated 25k for replacement in the beginning years. Now you can get used units for $2k or less.
Hopefully. I was being a little facetious there.

I was surprised by how dramatically the hydraulic steering rack price changed. Literally overnight, hardly anyone is using or making them anymore.

Probably will be a while before PDKs become obsolete and are no longer produced.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 PM
17GTS
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a new twist on my situation. I had to go to California but after a redeye, I'm back and the truck just left with my car. It still exhibited the same problem but when I put it into neutral to push it, something must have "unjammed". The Move gear lever to position P message went away and the car would go into gear. Since the truck was here and the tow hook was screwed in, I decided to send it on to the dealer. The loud clang that I heard on Monday when I put it into D was enough for me to be very cautious. Has anyone else ever seen this happen? BTW, my truck driver told me he recently towed a brand new 2019 with less than 50 mi on the clock with a bad PDK. It actually belonged to a Porsche executive here in ATL.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:13 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 17GTS
Here is a new twist on my situation. I had to go to California but after a redeye, I'm back and the truck just left with my car. It still exhibited the same problem but when I put it into neutral to push it, something must have "unjammed". The Move gear lever to position P message went away and the car would go into gear. Since the truck was here and the tow hook was screwed in, I decided to send it on to the dealer. The loud clang that I heard on Monday when I put it into D was enough for me to be very cautious. Has anyone else ever seen this happen? BTW, my truck driver told me he recently towed a brand new 2019 with less than 50 mi on the clock with a bad PDK. It actually belonged to a Porsche executive here in ATL.
seeing this happen a lot, it is common enough to appear on multiple times on the same thread- I hope Porsche steps up their game and covers this with extended warranties or they'll be losing my faith in the company for sure.

I am positive the porsche executive will get the full service though.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
seeing this happen a lot, it is common enough to appear on multiple times on the same thread- I hope Porsche steps up their game and covers this with extended warranties or they'll be losing my faith in the company for sure.

If it was in fact a Porsche Executive, that car most likely belongs to Porsche I am sure they get car perks.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:01 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,130 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
If it was in fact a Porsche Executive, that car most likely belongs to Porsche I am sure they get car perks.

Yep, that car is gonna get sold to some unsuspecting customer. The exec is not waiting 2 months for parts from Germany, he is jettisoning that one and getting a brand new baby.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:27 PM
17GTS
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkhm3

Originally Posted by Joec500
Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Yep, that car is gonna get sold to some unsuspecting customer. The exec is not waiting 2 months for parts from Germany, he is jettisoning that one and getting a brand new baby.

Yeah, I'm sure he/she probably got a new one or maybe they got a Macan loaner just like we do. I wonder if it went to a local dealer for the repairs and yeah, I agree, that car will eventually wind up in the hands of an unsuspecting customer.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 PM
DGPanny
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean it's great they are replacing most of these with little cost to the owner, but what about resale value? Having that major work show up on the CarFax will for sure hurt the resale value. Anything on the Carfax on these cars hurts them.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:16 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I traded my 14 991.1 after pdk replacement with a refurbished unit under cpo. The car also had rear end damage history. I had driven it 10000 miles. On paper I received a trade value equal to what I paid. My limited research on this subject is that it's like having an alternator or battery replaced. Nobody cares about matching numbers for a tranny. In my case it seems to have helped on trade in because the pdk was not a mystery. As far as carfax is concerned there are sales people that will use anything on a carfax to manipulate the sell in any profitable manner. I've seen dealer damaged 911's with more than 3 panels damaged report a clean carfax and on the other hand had a dealer try to discount a sweet boxster s I traded because it had a carfax but no damage. The car was written up in an accident report but was not hit by another vehicle. I called bs on that and the salesman backed down but he tried. Gloves on.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:13 PM
Shawn Leach
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Carrera S 40,000 miles transmission failure

If you are out of warranty and bringing this car to the dealer for a PDK error, you are out of your mind. There are multiple shops that rebuild these units, and countless used PDK units that are available off the shelf for a 1/4-1/2 of the cost. The failure rate on these is very low, the forum exaggerates the data points because people come to complain (I would be too if my PDK failed!).
I own a 2012 Carrera S with 40,000 miles, car is out of warranty. I recently experienced the PDK transmission module failure code on my dash. Car went into in limp mode, was shifting every other gear. Had no problems with this car ever, I’ve owned it for two years and this happened all the sudden with no warning. I had the car towed 50 miles north of me to Ann Arbor Porsche. They diagnosed the car, said I needed a transmission replacement at the cost of $18,000! I called my local Porsche tech to see if he could give me a better deal On a used transmission. He only Found three in the entire country, and he couldn’t verify mileage or any info on these transmissions without paying for them first. I am one of the lucky ones. Porsche called me three days later and said that the factory agreed to replace my transmission at no cost to me. I believe this is a known issue with Porsche especially after reading this forum and finding out that other people have had the same issue. Personally I’m glad I took my car to my local dealership. I would suggest any Porsche owner to do the same and to also research any extended warranty you can get for your Porsche. Thank you to Jermain Porsche of Ann Arbor for doing the right thing and taking care of their customers. This seems like a very rare thing these days!
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Leach
I own a 2012 Carrera S with 40,000 miles, car is out of warranty. I recently experienced the PDK transmission module failure code on my dash. Car went into in limp mode, was shifting every other gear. Had no problems with this car ever, I’ve owned it for two years and this happened all the sudden with no warning. I had the car towed 50 miles north of me to Ann Arbor Porsche. They diagnosed the car, said I needed a transmission replacement at the cost of $18,000! I called my local Porsche tech to see if he could give me a better deal On a used transmission. He only Found three in the entire country, and he couldn’t verify mileage or any info on these transmissions without paying for them first. I am one of the lucky ones. Porsche called me three days later and said that the factory agreed to replace my transmission at no cost to me. I believe this is a known issue with Porsche especially after reading this forum and finding out that other people have had the same issue. Personally I’m glad I took my car to my local dealership. I would suggest any Porsche owner to do the same and to also research any extended warranty you can get for your Porsche. Thank you to Jermain Porsche of Ann Arbor for doing the right thing and taking care of their customers. This seems like a very rare thing these days!
Sorry to hear of your PDK troubles. At least PCNA is picking up the bill.

Just curious, is your 2012 a 997.2 or 991?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Shawn Leach
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991.1 PDK Transmission failure

I own a 2012 Carrera S with 40,000 miles, this car is out of warranty. I recently experienced the PDK transmission module failure code on my dash. Car went into in limp mode, was shifting every other gear. Had no problems with this car ever, I’ve owned it for two years, I Purchased it used with 30,000 miles on it and this happened all the sudden with no warning. I had the car towed 50 miles north of me to Ann Arbor Porsche. They diagnosed the car, said I needed a transmission replacement at the cost of $18,000! I called my local Porsche tech to see if he could give me a better deal On a used transmission. He only Found three in the entire country, and he couldn’t verify mileage or any info on these transmissions without paying for it first. I am one of the lucky ones.Porsche called me three days later and said that the factory agreed to replace my transmission at no cost to me. I believe this is a known issue with Porsche especially after reading this forum and finding out that other people have had the same issue. Personally I’m glad I took my car to my local dealership. I would suggest any Porsche owner to do the same and to also research any extended warranty you can get for your Porsche. Thank you to Jermain Porsche of Ann Arbor for doing the right thing and taking care of their customers. This seems like a very rare thing these days!
The following 2 users liked this post by Shawn Leach:
BSO (06-21-2019), Porsche_nuts (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:10 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Leach
did you always service the car at the dealership? did you buy the car there? How many P cars have you owned and did they ask?

Quick Reply: PDK Failure & Outcome Story