Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I will roll your eyes (my test drive experience)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,569 Likes on 1,599 Posts

I am very confused by these comments regarding the T's gearbox and having to "shift gears all the time". Is something THAT different with the T over all other 991 manual trans cars? I know it has a shorter final drive, but that's just compared to a normal Carrera. It has the same final drive as the S, which has the (almost) same engine with the same redline. I've NEVER heard anyone complain that the gearing was too SHORT in a 991. Always that it's too long!

I guess I need to sell my car and get a manual T. The one thing that drives me nuts about my car is that I don't get to shift it enough. More specifically, redline in second gear is beyond the legal limit except on an interstate. On local roads, it's into "get you arrested speeds". Which is ridiculous in a car with a torque peak above 5,000 RPM. Stupefying actually. Worst thing about the whole car.

7 is too many gears? Hell, I'm barely into 6th and almost NEVER into 7th unless I'm on the highway near me that has a 75 MPH limit.

Very confused here...
Old 09-24-2018, 10:52 AM
s4vant
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

details on the haircut saloon please?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:31 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

No offense: You mention "performance" often, but it seems like you really just want a better-than-M3 grocery getter? Any 911 variant will be more than adequate for your needs, so test drive as many cars as possible and pick the one you like best.

I love my 991.1 C2S because I take it to the racetrack on weekends, and then drop my son off at school on Monday; there are better cars if you are not doing both.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:51 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
No offense: You mention "performance" often, but it seems like you really just want a better-than-M3 grocery getter? Any 911 variant will be more than adequate for your needs, so test drive as many cars as possible and pick the one you like best.

I love my 991.1 C2S because I take it to the racetrack on weekends, and then drop my son off at school on Monday; there are better cars if you are not doing both.
There may be better Track cars.. but I can drive my 991.1S 360 miles to the race track.. spend all day saturday HST (HPDE) - turn around and drive it back... with no problems.

There is no other car like that

Other makes Always have "problems"
Old 09-24-2018, 12:11 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
There may be better Track cars.. but I can drive my 991.1S 360 miles to the race track.. spend all day saturday HST (HPDE) - turn around and drive it back... with no problems.

There is no other car like that

Other makes Always have "problems"
Miata Is Always The Answer, unless you need toddler-size rear seats
Old 09-24-2018, 01:07 PM
geoprgere
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Miata Is Always The Answer, unless you need toddler-size rear seats
this is off topic. there is no way miata can sub for 911. there are lots of good cars that can do both track and daily duty but none is perfect. I think I am ready to try 911 as with M3 I am unfortunately I am not happy as it does not meet my race car expectations, and i highly doubt Miata is even close to BMW. Thank you
Old 09-24-2018, 01:44 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
You are right about the close ratio gearing of the manual. For everyday driving 7 speeds is an overkill. Yes, you'll be constantly shifting gears. As much torque and flexibility of the engine you have to question the rational of 7 spd. Its almost like for the manual shifting lovers, Porsche says fine, we'll give you 7 so you can shift to your hearts delight.
Constantly shifting? I don't get that. 7th is great for highway cruising with cruise control on.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 72 Posts

If I drove my manual .1 C2S once a month I’d probably dislike the transmission. I drive it regularly and like it a lot. No missed shifts and no fumbling for gears. I drive it enough and it’s intuitive. Throw weight, clutch feel, etc. Theres a car built for everyone and this one was built just right for me (wish the gearing wasn’t so tall...).
Old 09-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by georgere
Thank you. Is your T a truly daily driver?
yes -

So I could be off on numbers a little +/- 2-3
1st gear - 45mph
2nd gear - 77mph
3rd gear - 112mph
4th gear - 150mph
5th -7th gear - 183mph

you can drive it as you want, shift quickly or ring it out. You can go from 1st to 3rd or 2nd to 4th. Depends on how you want to drive at that moment. Also what your regular drive speeds are. Manual is definitely more fun/engaging.

There are more PDK 911s out there than Manuals, but there are probably more Manual Ts out there than PDK

By the way - My HP4 will do 112mph in 1st gear, but I cruise around at 3500rpm in 3/4/5gears (its a 6 speed)

Last edited by Cyberbug; 09-24-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

I wanted a 991.2 and not a 992. Even though I could have waited. Having too many cars and not enough drivers kind of problem.

My first choice was 4 GTS, (AWD). After a lot of research vs my needs I decided on RWD. I had a RWD Track car (barely-road legal) and after that been driving all AWDs. I felt I didn't need the AWD for my driving and don't need added weight.
Next the GTS itself. There are few things I didn't like about the GTS, again personal opinion and choice. The limited wheel option, also only Black. Black highlights, Larger Turbo's, boost kicks in at 2150 rpm. overall the build wasn't working for me as I wanted.

So I decided for the S with everything, I like the smaller turbos and boost starts at 1700rpm. One of the reasons I didn't go for the NA 911. for daily driver, early boost was important for me. Smaller turbo's mean less lag too.

I actually had to equally specs one for T (manual) and one for S(PDK). with pretty much all the same options. More than I need but just what I want.
The T feels loud and different than the S. Plus its still a special release, there will always be an S trim with every 911 generation. But for now T is a little special.
I kept the lightweight glass, added 18ways, PCCB, kept manual, plus added a lot more I didn't need.

I do plan on a tune down the road
Old 09-24-2018, 06:35 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
The F80 is probably one of the worst "performance" cars I have driven in recent times. Poor brakes, horrible steering - really horrible, not great through corners difficult to feel the grip and ordinary brakes too. Mutton dressed as lamb.
Interesting, have mine for almost 4 years and 40k miles, rock solid. Completely different experience, I find the steering a little numb, but precise. Through corners my car has been very very consistent- I've had 3 generations of M3's and this one is a keeper for me.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:10 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Test drive a 2017 C2S with RAS and SPASM/PDCC. Pretty raw, at least on my roads, when you push the sport chassis button. You'll save money and have a rocket. I prefer the C2S over the C4S also, the steering just felt better to me. Not sure I can put my finger on 'better' though. I know on the 991.1 it was the extra play in the steering wheel on C4S. On the 991.2 they have really improved it a lot.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:14 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
GTS with RAS, SPASM and PDK - the Series II GTS is a formidable all round performance car.

and for fun (although it illustrates a point - now think of the impact of corners)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DENyXRn10Q

Perhaps consider a M2 competition they have improved quite a lot.
Wow...that was embarrassing for the M4 driver. Just saying...was he really even trying?

As for the M3 vs 991.1 comparison...have had e46, e92, and F80 M3's and 997.1 Carrera S, 997.2 Carrera S and Carrera C4S, and now my 991.1 Carrera S and the Porsche is definitely the better car of them all. The latest M3 had power and after getting it tuned to Stage 1 yes...it was fast...almost too fast...too much power for the tranny. Put it in launch mode and the car couldn't handle it and it was almost terrifying at times and uncontrollable. So it was a very fast and comfortable daily driver and that was cool. Could carry everything I needed in it...steering was a bit numb...electronics were great w/i-drive in its current iteration. The Porsche's in the stable...I can say never let me down...took them all to HPDE and to the track when I had the C4S and it was like glue...power and stability always there and you knew what the car was doing. Add in the somewhat usable back seats and I agree IF I wanted to use the Carrera as a daily driver that would have been easy. Engine sounds is better in the Porsche's especially and that was even after replacing my M3's with Eisennman's finest Performance exhausts. Sport exhaust in my current 991.1S plus the added Akrapovic is just glorious one of the best! And best yet there are soo many flavors now in the 991.2 body type and 991.1 that you can basically choose what you need and adjust (the base, the S, the T, the GTS, the 4 cars. the GT3 and GT2, and then go to the RS if you really need a fix)...just depends on your budget and tolerance.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:18 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,017 Likes on 645 Posts

^^^thats the beauty of the Carrera line up - you can tailor to your needs, budget and performance envelope. Porsche have always been the masters at offering something at a price point that needs a little more and before you know it you you're buying a fully loaded TTS.

BMW on the other seem to have lost the plot - the last M car I actually enjoyed was the E86 Z4 M - with the 3.2l straight six - that was a lot of fun. Contrast something like that with a kerb weight of around 3,100lbs with the current M4 at 3,650 lbs.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-25-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:25 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Isn't the 911T a quicker car than the M3?

We have an M4, and it is a great car. In the right color, it has presence, style, plenty of performance, and really isn't that expensive to own, especially once the car's depreciation curve flattens after a few years. Any 911 has a lot further to fall.

With that said, they drive completely differently. A 981 Boxster S will probably run circles around an M3/M4. You need 4 seats, and although the 911 is a special car, you could keep the M3 and just get a fun car (such as a Cayman!) to compliment it. If you really want a scalpel-like tool, the Cayman or Boxster is the chassis. The M3 is such a good DD that I would personally rather have something to compliment it vs. replacing it. If you could swing it, a GT4 would make you very happy and really give you the "wow" factor that perhaps you missed in a 911. They are completely different cars. The M3 and 911 are different, but at current prices, I can't say the M4 is only 1/2 of the car the 911 is. Now, used (say a 60,000 miles 991 base at $50k vs. a 20,000 mile M3): the 991 is the one I would choose. If buying new (say a loaded C4S at $140k vs an M3 at $73k), the C4S just isn't twice the car.

I have a 997.2 C4S manual, and it has the same performance as the M4. They even both lap the Nurburgring in 7:52. That being said, they are so different: one has tons of torque and looks angry and aggressive. The other revs forever and appears classic, elegant, perhaps slightly feminine. They both cruise, but one is louder and less refined. One has more steering feel and a sense of rawness; the other just feels flat out fast. One has superb suspension out of the box, and the other floats over uneven roads at speed and needs some work. One has a real trunk, with seats that fold down and that will hold 2 bicycles and luggage for a week. The other: if you want to transport bikes, get a roof rack. The crazy thing is, the M4 has 1/2 of the miles of the C4S and is worth $10k less. I don't see the M4 depreciation slowing anytime soon. The C4S' value is going nowhere but up. In terms of performance though, the M4 is the better value, but it will cost still more to own than the 997.2!

I love to get both out on back roads and let 'er rip.

Quick Reply: I will roll your eyes (my test drive experience)