Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I will roll your eyes (my test drive experience)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

RWD GTS is the best Carrera hands down. Others might feel like 370hp is good enough but the truth is that it doesn't compete.

From what you're coming from, a GTS or S with powerkit is what you're looking for. The T is really nice of course but not a real competitor. Just another 911 variant with some random cool tidbits.. If it had the X51/Powerkit pieces that come in the GTS it would be a different story.

The GTS gets you the widebody rear end which no other RWD carrera gets.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:24 AM
georgere
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Btw it took me weeks to decide on manual over PDK, PDK is awesome.

if I ordered any other 911 vs T it would be with PDK.

but T made more sense to me with manual. Many Ts out there with PDK.

you can’t go wrong with either.
Thank you. Is your T a truly daily driver?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 AM
georgere
AutoX

Originally Posted by Psorcery
RWD GTS is the best Carrera hands down. Others might feel like 370hp is good enough but the truth is that it doesn't compete.

From what you're coming from, a GTS or S with powerkit is what you're looking for. The T is really nice of course but not a real competitor. Just another 911 variant with some random cool tidbits.. If it had the X51/Powerkit pieces that come in the GTS it would be a different story.

The GTS gets you the widebody rear end which no other RWD carrera gets.
what's the advantage of the wide body in driving dynamics?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by georgere
Thank you for your reply however and let me ask you about your POV on current 911 for daily use. would u still drive manual or PDK every day including food shopping and haircut saloon?
I grew up with manuals and have had several, my last one was a manual 997.1TT. It was OK, but personally I find the PDK cars more fun. I don't think they're any less involving the way I drive them (always in manual mode), and for high performance cars the PDK more easily lets you use all that performance. I always felt like the manual version of a car felt slower than the dual clutch version. I could have bought a manual 991.2 GTS and I could have specced a manual in my 991.2 GT3, but I went with PDK for both. I just think it's more fun overall because of what I value in my driving experience. Driving a manual for me is just second nature, it's not novel, I'm just on autopilot with the shifting and it's don't feel like it adds much enjoyment. Shifting the paddles with the PDK and wringing every last bit out of the engine gets my adrenaline going, though. Others won't value that as much as I do, but that is more exciting to me than a third pedal.

To put it this way, when I had my 997.1TT I always wanted a PDK. With every dual clutch car I've had since, including BMW M3s, a Huracan, a couple of 911s, I've never wanted a manual.
​​​​
Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 AM
georgere
AutoX

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Obviously it should bring you JOY! Buy what does it for you. No reason asking for someone else's opinions. If it helps my choice were NA GTS MT and TTS PDK.
Thank you. I know. But it also helps to ask for people opinions as they already have the cars and may help pple like me avoid the "I wish' moment....
Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

I think the thread starter would be better off with a GT4 Cayman...
You are looking for the aspects of a GT car (the feel) but with long gearing.

I wouldn't mind having a rear wheel steering 991.2 Carrera T PDK if I didnt already have a 911, but would prefer a used GT car aka 991.1 GT3.
I would NOT trade my 991.1 S with X51 - Sport Chrono, and sport suspension in for a 911 T though.. , GT3 hell yes
Old 09-24-2018, 12:49 AM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I vote T with PDK, I love it and it’s a perfect package from Porsche.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:08 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

GTS with RAS, SPASM and PDK - the Series II GTS is a formidable all round performance car.

and for fun (although it illustrates a point - now think of the impact of corners)

Perhaps consider a M2 competition they have improved quite a lot.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-24-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 AM
photonscience
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts

This guy want to sell his kids to afford a T, and you guys are recommending he buy a GTS? Very little discounting on GTS's. He might have to let the wife go, as well.

Advice: Find a 2018 991.2 S with RWS and PDK or MT on some dealer's lot and negotiate a nice discount. I did - it's a great car. If you're hung up on the GTS's horsepower, you can sell the puppy some day and purchase an upgrade to the S.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:32 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure what manual transmission you're used to, but it feels a million times different than my wife's S5 or my old e92 m3 manual. to my embarrassment, I stalled the first time test driving it, and with the shorter throws i second guessed myself sometimes when shifting. It took a few test drives until I felt ok driving the car. If you were fighting the transmission not sure how much of an opinion you can make of the RAS and the car in general, i'd definitely do another test in a manual. As much as I do like my T, I didn't find it to be much "rawer" than the base I test drove, just a little noisier inside. I also do take people's opinions on forums with a grain of salt, I frequent several audiophile websites where quantum leaps in changes to others is only a marginal difference to me.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:56 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by photonscience
This guy want to sell his kids to afford a T, and you guys are recommending he buy a GTS? Very little discounting on GTS's. He might have to let the wife go, as well.

Advice: Find a 2018 991.2 S with RWS and PDK or MT on some dealer's lot and negotiate a nice discount. I did - it's a great car. If you're hung up on the GTS's horsepower, you can sell the puppy some day and purchase an upgrade to the S.
The GTS is probably the best "value" proposition that Porsche offer. Moreover, it will likely be a better proposition on re-sale.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:29 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I would not recommend the T for you as with PDK, you lose the rear diff, and torque vectoring.

I also went for a test drive and the S I drove was not as fun as the T- both PDK. I suspect that is because the T comes with SPASM and the S I drove did not. Also, the T definitely had more noise- engine, road, etc that made it more visceral.
I have the S on order now with SPASM, RAS, sports exhaust, sports chrono, (comes with e diff and ptv+) I too have an F80 M3 and I love it- the T would simply have the same performance numbers.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:17 AM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

I went from a stage 1 mapped F80 M3 to a PDK T, my only car so it has rear seats too so we can still use it as a family.

My F80 would leave it for dead in a straight line (it would also leave a 991.1 GT3 and hang with stuff like R8 V10) but the T is so much more engaging. It is a road car and as such I am finding the lower power but with better steering feel, better body control, better traction along with how much more engaging it is (partly due to the extra noise) mean it is perfect for me. It is more fun full stop, carrying speed is much more enjoyable than just being fast because you have power, and it means that you are not always at speeds that might land you in jail. The F80 was terrible for that, just so removed from the outside world, you'd look down to see some massive numbers of the heads up display.

No regrets about going PDK on a daily driver, the shorter gearing in the manual is 77mph v 74mph in 2nd, 112 mpg v 107 in 3rd, hardly life changing. The only time I miss the LSD is turning out of junctions in the wet, on track maybe it would be noticeable but again this car is about fun not lap times and I love it. The manual may be more "pure" but I know what I'd rather do a cross city commute in.

Edited to add, this is my first Porsche full stop and the only 991 I have driven other than the T is the 991.1 GT3 that I borrowed for a few weeks so I can't say how much more engaging a T is compared to an S, just that a T is more engaging than an M3 and a better road car than a 991.1 GT3.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:48 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I felt the T had a very raw feeling compared to the S. If I had to replace the T I think I would go straight to GTS or GT3.

My problem is that the GTS had way more lag than the T.

Personally I would go with the T however you want it and throw a tune on it. The car is very quick as it sits. With another 75 HP and 120 ft of torque under it with a flash I can only imagine.

Regarding the trans. I agree that 7th gear is odd but otherwise I think the gear ratios are spot on. The good news is I just don't see the need for it under most circumstances (under 80mph on highway drives). I have used 7th once.

The T is turbo charged but the turbo's are a bit smaller and the boost is not cranked high. The car is happy to rev.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:52 AM
groundhog
Race Car

The F80 is probably one of the worst "performance" cars I have driven in recent times. Poor brakes, horrible steering - really horrible, not great through corners difficult to feel the grip and ordinary brakes too. Mutton dressed as lamb.

You should drive a RAS equipped GTS and then you would understand the differences - corner entry, carry speed and braking zones are worlds apart.

The T has the gearing of an S without the torque, power and brakes let alone the PTV/E. The GTS moves it on another notch - oh and you can get a tune for that too which maximises the advantages of the larger turbos.

Quick Reply: I will roll your eyes (my test drive experience)