Sponsored by:

.2 GTS header to turbo, getting stuck on installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:39 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default .2 GTS header to turbo, getting stuck on installation

For those who DIY'd aftermarket headers - i manage to unbolt the three nuts and studs connecting the header to the turbo, as well as the 9 bolts that connects the header to the rest of the car. However, the header have refused to come off. When i tried pulling out the gaskets through the gap between the turbo and headers, it gets stuck half way through with the what sounds like something inside that goes between the turbo and header .... Can't find reference to this anywhere in any instructions or DIY experiences

HELP!

Last edited by basic666; 09-23-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:00 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
For those who DIY'd aftermarket headers - i manage to unbolt the three nuts and studs connecting the header to the turbo, as well as the 9 bolts that connects the header to the rest of the car. However, the header have refused to come off. When i tried pulling out the gaskets through the gap between the turbo and headers, it gets stuck half way through with the what sounds like something inside that goes between the turbo and header .... Can't find reference to this anywhere in any instructions or DIY experiences

HELP!

I don't have experience removing the headers, but if you look at the stock header there could be a small sleeve that extends into the header off the turbo or visa versa which is preventing you from removing it until you have enough clearance to pull it out.

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 09-23-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:40 PM
basic666
Racer

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I don't have experience removing the headers, but if you look at the stock header there could be a small sleeve that extends into the header off the turbo or visa versa which is preventing you from removing it until you have enough clearance to pull it out.

yep that was the problem! Got a flat head and pryed it open ever so slightly and everything fell out.

now onto the driver side header... where they have a reverse nut on the inside with almost no space to work with. Been reading about this stuff for over two months now, and I gotta say this is a lot harder in practice and you need some very special tools working around tight spaces.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:42 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 798 Posts

yep that was the problem! Got a flat head and pryed it open ever so slightly and everything fell out.

now onto the driver side header... where they have a reverse nut on the inside with almost no space to work with. Been reading about this stuff for over two months now, and I gotta say this is a lot harder in practice and you need some very special tools working around tight spaces.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:45 PM
basic666
Racer

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
i got these, well technically it would be singular since I only got one onto the car so far 😂😂

Old 09-23-2018, 10:47 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

i got these, well technically it would be singular since I only got one onto the car so far 😂😂

nice. Vektor right? gonna dyno after?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:49 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 666 Posts

Nice. You got the Swaintech coating as well. What is it going on Base/S/GTS?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 PM
basic666
Racer

Yes vektor going on a GTS, if i can only remove that reverse bolt on the turbo.

Will report back with a butt dyno and sound check. Planning to get sport cats on them later as well... maybe early next year
Old 09-24-2018, 09:17 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Will report back with a butt dyno and sound check. Planning to get sport cats on them later as well... maybe early next year
excellent
Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

What's your impression of them so far? Build quality? etc?
Old 09-25-2018, 02:52 AM
basic666
Racer

Originally Posted by spdracerut
What's your impression of them so far? Build quality? etc?
the headers themselves seem really well made. everything is cut and finished so nicely. However, the ceramic coating have parts where it seems like either rubbed off or not applied with equal layering? (see the mid tube in the pic attached, and you can see on the edges with the chips)

I think my biggest impression so far is how hard it is to actually DIY these. The instructions and articles online make it look SO EASY. This is my first ever "car job" so take it for what it is. But getting the original bolts and studs out in REALLY tight spaces is no easy job. Also because the vektor ones bend in more drastic ways, putting it back is also requiring some tools for smaller spaces. In general i would recommend a whole set of 1/4" tools.

im out these two weeks, will take pics of the inside and hopefully put everything together when im back!

Old 09-28-2018, 12:07 AM
Marc D Gonsalves
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you end up finishing the install? What do you think of the headers? Sound? Thinking about doing the same to my GTS.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:37 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc D Gonsalves
Did you end up finishing the install? What do you think of the headers? Sound? Thinking about doing the same to my GTS.
He did. Bumping the thread to see if hell chime in with some feedback
Old 10-09-2018, 10:49 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 666 Posts

Awesome, Look forward to the Butt Dyno report and Sound check. I just pulled the trigger on them as well. They are at Swain Tech : ) Should be back at Vektor Friday and I should see them in a week after that.

Hopefully Just in time for my next big track day. : )
Old 10-10-2018, 02:59 AM
Marc D Gonsalves
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Awesome, Look forward to the Butt Dyno report and Sound check. I just pulled the trigger on them as well. They are at Swain Tech : ) Should be back at Vektor Friday and I should see them in a week after that.

Hopefully Just in time for my next big track day. : )
Then I’m looking forward to both your reports on these. Have either of you done cats or tunes yet?

Quick Reply: .2 GTS header to turbo, getting stuck on installation