Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 07:33 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Which tweeters were those?
The ones in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991/966586-musicar-northwest-group-buy-991-high-end-tweeter-upgrade.html
Old 09-01-2018, 08:33 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Between windows down and noise through the body, sound symposer and loud tires, I don't see the need for a bunch of money in a stereo system in the 991. With windows down (which is a high percentage of my driving), I don't even turn my Bose on. That said I have always been somewhat of an audiophile, but in the 991 it is rather pointless to me. Of course it's all personal preference so only you can decide.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

It’s hard to decide for sure, but really was interested to know who installed aftermarket and how much it cost.

Also, the Burmester takes some room from the frunk, right?
Old 09-02-2018, 08:17 AM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
Between windows down and noise through the body, sound symposer and loud tires, I don't see the need for a bunch of money in a stereo system in the 991. With windows down (which is a high percentage of my driving), I don't even turn my Bose on. That said I have always been somewhat of an audiophile, but in the 991 it is rather pointless to me. Of course it's all personal preference so only you can decide.
Totally agree...
Old 09-02-2018, 10:31 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Whenever you ask a question like this, you need to wade though all the posts telling you to not get a good sound system, just listen to the engine, it will never sound as good as in a Panamera, etc.
However, you already know all this & did NOT ask, should I upgrade my sound system.
Try to find some high end audio installers in your area & see if they have a 911 & can demo a sound system for you.
I assume you've already brought your own, familiar music (CDs or lossless digital audio files) and tested in 911s with Base, Bose & Burmester. Finding a 911 with Burmester is difficult but a dealer may have a used one. If you do this & play with the audio settings you will find the base is awful. Bose can be made acceptable but, not great... if you turn off the fake surround & use linear & take your time with treble & bass settings.
The Burmester is awesome IMO but...+$5,300! (At least for MY2019 C2S.)

So, next step is to see what an aftermarket installer can do to match or exceed the audio quality of the Burmester for less money.

Good luck with that!

They will have several options but I bet you'll find that saving the $5300 by just getting the base & hoping an aftermarket installer can give you a great system for a few thousand... is not going to happen!

The Musicar thread has info on their full upgrade (Not merely tweeters) & the projected cost was MORE vs. Burmester. And it is DIY or paying a local shop which adds even more to the cost.
Even if you were able to find an aftermarket system for less or that you liked better vs. Burmester, you run the risk of damage to your new car or rattles, warranty issues, etc.

Are you willing to buy an aftermarket system that you have never heard? Some people are. I'm not.

I bought the Burmester.
It was designed specifically for the 991.2. Has many more speakers. Sounds amazing to me. 12 speakers.
Aftermarket systems I checked out would be 6 speakers or 6 + a subWoofer in back. Usually the installer would want to take up some frunk space & maybe behind rear seat space for a Sub.
They probably will not want to use the space under the passenger seat where the Burmester amp is located.

YMMV

Last edited by TwinTurbo420; 09-05-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Since you said the Burmester was designed specifically for the 991.2 does that mean you could not get the Burmester in the 991.1 cars? Or does that mean it was improved upon for the 991.2 cars?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

If you want to hear the Burmester, you can check my car out sometime.

I had the Bose in my first 991 and Burmester in the second. I was on the fence if I should order it on my current car due to the cost but in the end I went full YOLO and bit the bullet. It sounds amazing, much nicer than the Bose. I didn’t want to mess with aftermarket solutions. I do enjoy listening to music so it was a priority for me.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Since you said the Burmester was designed specifically for the 991.2 does that mean you could not get the Burmester in the 991.1 cars? Or does that mean it was improved upon for the 991.2 cars?
The Burmester was available for the 991.1 - my last 991.1 had Burmester.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

So I have no clue what TwinTurbo420 is talking about.

For what it is worth, my SA and I were talking about options and he said that the Burmester is not worth it in his opinion and that the Bose with some tweaking will satisfy 90% of listeners, and I agree.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 126 Posts

Here’s a perspective of a guy who loves quality audio, have a listening room in my house and enjoy a fairly serious hi-fi tube/vinyl/tidal-streaming 2-channel setup immensely. Have a few normal cars w standard stereos (Subaru, gti), which make just terrible sound, like listening to my in-home setup from another room, with the door closed and the dishwasher running.

When I first got my 991.2 c2s w Bose, I thought it was a huge step-up from these, and it was such a relief to hear a more full picture of the material again, was super happy, but later, listening while driving, vs, in the garage w the car off, it sounds more like my other cars! I just think the 911 as a platform, while running and on the move, is a huge amount of headwind for good audio to make progress against.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Hp12c
Here’s a perspective of a guy who loves quality audio, have a listening room in my house and enjoy a fairly serious hi-fi tube/vinyl/tidal-streaming 2-channel setup immensely. Have a few normal cars w standard stereos (Subaru, gti), which make just terrible sound, like listening to my in-home setup from another room, with the door closed and the dishwasher running.

When I first got my 991.2 c2s w Bose, I thought it was a huge step-up from these, and it was such a relief to hear a more full picture of the material again, was super happy, but later, listening while driving, vs, in the garage w the car off, it sounds more like my other cars! I just think the 911 as a platform, while running and on the move, is a huge amount of headwind for good audio to make progress against.
Precisely. Given the background noise in these cars, particularly road noise, it's impossible to appreciate music with any dynamic range while driving. Those who think that 991s are reasonably quiet really need to have their hearing checked.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:10 PM
rymorg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 991.1 has the Burmester and I really enjoy it. I thought the Bose was okay as well, but the Burmester was noticably better. That said, the stereo wasn’t the deciding factor when I was searching for my used 991.1 C2S, but I was lucky to find one with the Burmester. I can’t comment on what could be done custom, but I’ve been very pleased with the Burmester.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane
If you want to hear the Burmester, you can check my car out sometime.

I had the Bose in my first 991 and Burmester in the second. I was on the fence if I should order it on my current car due to the cost but in the end I went full YOLO and bit the bullet. It sounds amazing, much nicer than the Bose. I didn’t want to mess with aftermarket solutions. I do enjoy listening to music so it was a priority for me.
Thanks much. Maybe we could take a spin some time and I can see how it sounds.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Whenever you ask a question like this, you need to wade though all the posts telling you to not get a good sound system, just listen to the engine, it will never send as good as in a Panamera, etc.
However, you already know all this & did NOT ask, should I upgrade my sound system.
Try to find some high end audio installers in your area & see if they have a 911 & can demo a sound system for you.
I assume you've already brought your own, familiar music (CDs or lossless digital audio files) and tested in 911s with Base, Bose & Burmester. Finding a 911 with Burmester is difficult but a dealer may have a used one. If you do this & play with the audio settings you will find the base is awful. Bose can be made acceptable but, not great... if you turn off the fake surround & use linear & take your time with treble & bass settings.
The Burmester is awesome IMO but...+$5,300! (At least for MY2019 C2S.)

So, next step is to see what an aftermarket installer can do to match or exceed the audio quality of the Burmester for less money.

Good luck with that!

They will have several options but I bet you'll find that saving the $5300 by just getting the base & hoping an aftermarket installer can give you a great system for a few thousand... is not going to happen!

The Musicar thread has info on their full upgrade (Not merely tweeters) & the projected cost was MORE vs. Burmester. And it is DIY or paying a local shop which adds even more to the cost.
Even if you were able to find an aftermarket system for less or that you liked better vs Burmester, you run the risk of damage to your new car or rattles, warranty issues, etc.

Are you willing to buy an aftermarket system that you have never heard? Some people are. I'm not.

I bought the Burmester.
It was designed specifically for the 991.2. Has many more speakers. Sounds amazing to me. 12 speakers.
Aftermarket systems I checked out would be 6 speakers or 6 + a subWoofer in back. Usually the installer would want to take up some frunk space & maybe behind rear seat space for a Sub.
They probably will not want to use the space under the passenger seat where the Burmester amp is located.

YMMV
That's helpful, thanks a lot.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
So I have no clue what TwinTurbo420 is talking about.

For what it is worth, my SA and I were talking about options and he said that the Burmester is not worth it in his opinion and that the Bose with some tweaking will satisfy 90% of listeners, and I agree.
I added the Musicar tweeters and it did help, but missing decent base. The subwoofers in the 911, with Bose and Burmester, are through the frame. In our BMW, a subwoofer sits under each front seat and the sound system is pretty good. I probably need to listen to the Burnester while traveling. I wish Musicar could find an easy solution.

To be honest, I don't normally listen to anything when driving the 911. If I have it on, I listen mostly to Sirius talk radio. On long trips, I do like to listen to music but it just doesn't sound very good so I leave it off. I thought perhaps if I could get some decent base it might lift the music from the droning of the road noise. I do wish these cars had more insulation around the wheel wells.

I have a few months to think on it.

Quick Reply: Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?