Sponsored by:

Windshield “goop” adhesive issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RTdeeOC
I think I'll have to. I hate to think what they are charging other people in my area for repairs. I'll be going elsewhere obviously.

You own a 2016 C2S Coupe and not a Targa correct? Targa rear glass in PET is priced around $7.6K - $8.6$ where normal rear glass is approximately $700.

Insist​​​​ they provide the Porsche part number for the glass on your quote for the rear glass.​​​

Old 09-13-2019, 02:43 AM
RTdeeOC
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes. C2S. I saw the glass for the Targa was far more expensive when I did a search. I am surprised they were bold enough to provide me with a written quote that high. Not sure I could get them to provide the part number after the fact.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:00 AM
RTdeeOC
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RTdeeOC
2016 C2S bought CPO in Jan 2019. I have been following this as my rear window has the adhesive issue. Took to local dealership and has taken six weeks to get an answer. Service manager said warranty claim was denied and quoted me $10k to replace the rear glass and adhesives. He said they have never seen the problem. Getting really frustrated with this whole process. Going to take it to the dealership that sold it to me to see if they can do anything about this.
Update from my previous post: Spoke with the sales advisor who sold me the car (2 hours away) who suggested that I could speak with a different dealership that is closer to me, but promised to make good if the second dealership didn't come through. In short, it took awhile, but the second dealership stepped up and got the window replaced under warranty. They were very professional during the whole process. That, coupled with another shady interaction with dealer #1 made my decision clear not to do business with them in the future.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:21 AM
mad_max
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just updated the other thread with some recent info.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9627...l#post16262432
Old 11-16-2020, 01:17 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2016 911 GTS has the same issue at the rear glass shield. Car is out of warranty. Is there a Porsche bulletin on this issue? I have an appointment this Saturday at Champion Porsche to see what they will do and if I can get PCNA to at least split the cost.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
My 2016 911 GTS has the same issue at the rear glass shield. Car is out of warranty. Is there a Porsche bulletin on this issue? I have an appointment this Saturday at Champion Porsche to see what they will do and if I can get PCNA to at least split the cost.
To my knowledge there is no bulletin for this condition. Also inspect the front glass seal because there is a higher possibility the sealant is from the same manufactured date. Try calling PCNA prior to your appointment to see if they have a recommendation and inform them of your appointment. Also inform the rep you are a member of Rennlist and share there is a number of 991 owners experiencing the same issue.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:36 PM
mad_max
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
To my knowledge there is no bulletin for this condition. Also inspect the front glass seal because there is a higher possibility the sealant is from the same manufactured date. Try calling PCNA prior to your appointment to see if they have a recommendation and inform them of your appointment. Also inform the rep you are a member of Rennlist and share there is a number of 991 owners experiencing the same issue.
Unfortunately I had this issue on two 991s I owned. First on my 2013 C2S and also on the 2015 GT3 that I replaced it with. On both cars front and rear windshield had to be replaced. The first one was covered under factory warranty. The second instance PCNA refused to cover it under CPO warranty (the issue only surfaced after the factory warranty rolled over to CPO) claiming it was a 'cosmetic' issue. PCNA said they will give me a $500 discount towards it. After a lot of going back and forth my dealer stepped in to cover half the cost with the funds that PCNA allocates to them for good faith repairs. I wasn't too happy but I settled with that. Total replacement cost for both windshields was around $2500.

Last edited by mad_max; 11-16-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:20 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mad_max
Unfortunately I had this issue on two 991s I owned. First on my 2013 C2S and also on the 2015 GT3 that I replaced it with. On both cars front and rear windshield had to be replaced. The first one was covered under factory warranty. The second instance PCNA refused to cover it under CPO warranty (the issue only surfaced after the factory warranty rolled over to CPO) claiming it was a 'cosmetic' issue. PCNA said they will give me a $500 discount towards it. After a lot of going back and forth my dealer stepped in to cover half the cost with the funds that PCNA allocates to them for good faith repairs. I wasn't too happy but I settled with that. Total replacement cost for both windshields was around $2500.
It appears that dealerships matter.
My local dealer without ANY questions, hesitation, etc. replaced the front windshield of a '14 Boxster S shortly after CPO purchase with this exact issue.
Now I have a '14 991.1 GT3 (Boxster S traded) and just noticed that the rear window is also exhibiting the same deterioration. I called my SA and he said he has had one of these instances in the past with a GT3, to bring it by for a few pics, and it will have to be replaced.
Perhaps I am just lucky, or perhaps PORSCHE will give me grief this time, but how to justify the first replacement? I do not expect any hassles other than to re-tint the window and hope like hell they are careful removing/replacing as just had entire car exterior brought to new car perfection.

It looked much worse before being wiped with my thumb. This stuff is difficult to remove from hands, and do not get on clothing!
Old 12-16-2020, 10:30 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slipaway37
It appears that dealerships matter.
My local dealer without ANY questions, hesitation, etc. replaced the front windshield of a '14 Boxster S shortly after CPO purchase with this exact issue.
Now I have a '14 991.1 GT3 (Boxster S traded) and just noticed that the rear window is also exhibiting the same deterioration. I called my SA and he said he has had one of these instances in the past with a GT3, to bring it by for a few pics, and it will have to be replaced.
Perhaps I am just lucky, or perhaps PORSCHE will give me grief this time, but how to justify the first replacement? I do not expect any hassles other than to re-tint the window and hope like hell they are careful removing/replacing as just had entire car exterior brought to new car perfection.

It looked much worse before being wiped with my thumb. This stuff is difficult to remove from hands, and do not get on clothing!
Slipaway, just inform the service rep your car was recently detailed and not to wash your car. Also take plenty of pictures from the inside out for your proof/record of the condition of your vehicle. Keep in mind most if not all dealers outsource this type of work.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:27 AM
evio
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

Just had my front windshield done under warranty. Going to pick it up this Saturday. Hopefully they did a good job with no other issues.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:00 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread. Had my windshield replaced this week due to the “oozing gasket” syndrome outlined above. No pushback from the dealer (Porsche Irvine) and covered under warranty.

DaveGee

Quick Reply: Windshield “goop” adhesive issue.