Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield “goop” adhesive issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019 | 03:23 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche42
You know I just noticed that on my back windshield. I though it was just grease or something. But it looks like what you guys
have been seeing. Mine is a 2015 though, still under warranty for a few more weeks, I'll check out the dealership tomorrow to
see if it's still under warranty.

Great...please let me know what happens. I'm under MFW for 2 more month and then CPO kicks in. So thinking I need to get this taken care of soon.
Old 01-28-2019 | 02:32 AM
Azndavid85
Advanced

I noticed my car has same issue on my 2014 c4s, but it's not too bad and hardly noticeable.

How bad does it have to so it can be covered by the warranty ?
Attached Images    
Old 01-28-2019 | 11:20 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

This is bad enough. Don’t wait for your warranty to expire.
Old 01-28-2019 | 03:10 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

I checked both front and rear windshields and I don't see any goop or anything similar to the previous posted photos ( looks like split in the seal ) . KNOCK ON WOOD
Old 04-17-2019 | 12:29 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpbmd

i have a bit of that goop on the rear windscreen. I cleaned it. And it looks fine now. Does this mean the window will eventually fail and leak?
Thanks. I have 2 year CPO to watch it.
any update on this? my new to me 14 50th has the goop I am sadly detecting on the rear windshield. Car is out of warranty so I might have to eat it on this one, it happens
Old 04-17-2019 | 04:47 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
any update on this? my new to me 14 50th has the goop I am sadly detecting on the rear windshield. Car is out of warranty so I might have to eat it on this one, it happens
I had the same issue to both front and rear glass. Fortunately my glass was replaced under warranty. I recommend you inspect the windshield seal as well.
Old 04-17-2019 | 07:49 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

year old thread. Well I finally made appointment next week to get it checked. Been busy driving GT3 Lolol

will report next week. My warranty expires in a month so doing it before the windshield falls off haha
Old 04-17-2019 | 08:05 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
I had the same issue to both front and rear glass. Fortunately my glass was replaced under warranty. I recommend you inspect the windshield seal as well.
Thanks Sid

An update for my situation: I definitely have the issue with the rear glass, as I see its seal turning to goo in two of the 4 corners

My 50th is out of warranty and the replacement cost is $1500 for the new rear glass. PCNA made me an offer to eat some of the bill and I foot the rest which I accepted. I was hoping they would throw me a bone for a 2014 50th with under 4k miles when I bought it 2 weeks ago (this shouldn't be happening to these cars). Glad to see them step up and help me out so I want to give credit where its due

I also checked my front windshield seal all around very closely and could not find any issues. I asked if they would replace the windshield anyways because Im worried it will also goo up LOL. They said no just come back if/when windshield becomes a problem

Originally Posted by neurotic
year old thread. Well I finally made appointment next week to get it checked. Been busy driving GT3 Lolol

will report next week. My warranty expires in a month so doing it before the windshield falls off haha
Lol I was asking the other dude because he seemed like he was going to just live with it. Wanted to see if it got worse or what etc. Mine is getting rear glass replaced, and I hope front windshield OK/doesn't turn to goo...

Last edited by sampelligrino; 04-17-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2019 | 08:23 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Did anyone have this issue with *just* one glass area? Wondering if my front windshield seal is a ticking time bomb since no goo yet, or if I can get lucky
Old 04-17-2019 | 09:07 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Thanks Sid

An update for my situation: I definitely have the issue with the rear glass, as I see its seal turning to goo in two of the 4 corners

My 50th is out of warranty and the replacement cost is $1500 for the new rear glass. PCNA made me an offer to eat some of the bill and I foot the rest which I accepted. I was hoping they would throw me a bone for a 2014 50th with under 4k miles when I bought it 2 weeks ago (this shouldn't be happening to these cars). Glad to see them step up and help me out so I want to give credit where its due

I also checked my front windshield seal all around very closely and could not find any issues. I asked if they would replace the windshield anyways because Im worried it will also goo up LOL. They said no just come back if/when windshield becomes a problem

Lol I was asking the other dude because he seemed like he was going to just live with it. Wanted to see if it got worse or what etc. Mine is getting rear glass replaced, and I hope front windshield OK/doesn't turn to goo...
It’s odd for a car with very low miles to experience a window sealant issue. My car had 3900 miles at 2.5 years when I had the glass replaced. Porsche will not come out and admit they have an issue. Both glass (F&R) have a very close price tag, (Front approx. $679 with the rear $730). There is also an adhesive film kit with an approximate price of $35. Here is the part number for the rear glass which I’m sure is the same part for your model. (991-545-911-00)

Porsche will sub out the work to a contractor and the work should be completed in one day. Take pictures of your car’s rear interior and rear glass area/body for comparison if there is any damage to your trim and/or paint for your reference. Best of luck!
Old 04-17-2019 | 10:54 PM
porsche42
Racer

Originally Posted by jsimon777
Great...please let me know what happens. I'm under MFW for 2 more month and then CPO kicks in. So thinking I need to get this taken care of soon.
n

Sorry for the late reply. I never went to the dealership, too much happening around the house move.
Old 04-18-2019 | 12:57 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

It’s odd for a car with very low miles to experience a window sealant issue. My car had 3900 miles at 2.5 years when I had the glass replaced. Porsche will not come out and admit they have an issue. Both glass (F&R) have a very close price tag, (Front approx. $679 with the rear $730). There is also an adhesive film kit with an approximate price of $35. Here is the part number for the rear glass which I’m sure is the same part for your model. (991-545-911-00)

Porsche will sub out the work to a contractor and the work should be completed in one day. Take pictures of your car’s rear interior and rear glass area/body for comparison if there is any damage to your trim and/or paint for your reference. Best of luck!
Prices must have changed as my rear glass alone is costing me $1500 total including labor etc but PCNA is helping me with the bill thank God very much appreciated

After your glass replacement, did the issue ever return? Or was it just a bad batch of seals that they used during production, which they have then replaced? Just trying to cast a wide net and ensure that if I am going to pay up to replace rear and or front glass, its the prudent thing to do as best as possible

Last edited by sampelligrino; 04-18-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2019 | 04:48 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Prices must have changed as my rear glass alone is costing me $1500 total but PCNA is helping me with the bill thank God very much appreciated

After your glass replacement, did the issue ever return? Or was it just a bad batch of seals that they used during production, which they have then replaced? Just trying to cast a wide net and ensure that if I am going to pay up to replace rear and or front glass, its the prudent thing to do as best as possible
Whoever quoted you $1500 for material (glass) only is quoting you double the price. Here are four Porsche Parts establishments with four different prices that are more than half the quote you received; ($664, $687, $693 with the highest at $773). I would challenge them on the quoted price. Better yet, go online and check the price for yourself or call. Are you curtain the quote is glass only and not parts and labor?

My glass (Front & Rear) was replaced 29 months ago without any issues. I suspect a number of our cars received a bad batch of sealant.
Old 04-18-2019 | 04:51 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Whoever quoted you $1500 for material (glass) only is quoting you double the price. Here are four Porsche Parts establishments with four different prices that are more than half the quote you received; ($664, $687, $693 with the highest at $773). I would challenge them on the quoted price. Better yet, go online and check the price for yourself or call. Are you curtain the quote is glass only and not parts and labor?

My glass (Front & Rear) was replaced 29 months ago without any issues. I suspect a number of our cars received a bad batch of sealant.
Sorry I will edit and clarify, $1500 all in including labor and parts everything for just the rear glass. Happy to hear that your fix looks to be permanent fingers crossed, hope for the same for me too!
Old 04-18-2019 | 05:08 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Sorry I will edit and clarify, $1500 all in including labor and parts everything for just the rear glass. Happy to hear that your fix looks to be permanent fingers crossed, hope for the same for me too!

No worries...... $1500 is a Porsche expected price for parts and labor. As before, document by taking pictures for reference just in case something goes wrong. Take a picture of the manufacturer’s logo on the glass too. You might want to read this as well.

http://www.lvsglass.com/porsche-windshield-replacement/

Quick Reply: Windshield “goop” adhesive issue.