Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Steering Wheel Removal / Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 07:34 PM
cathartic
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to confirm guys, I have a 991.2 Turbo S with a NON MF wheel. I found a 991.2 wheel off a GTS. If I swap the steering wheels, everything should work MINUS heated steering wheel? Making it truly a plug n play with no trip to the dealership needed?
Old 03-30-2020, 11:01 AM
jlaw
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cathartic
Just to confirm guys, I have a 991.2 Turbo S with a NON MF wheel. I found a 991.2 wheel off a GTS. If I swap the steering wheels, everything should work MINUS heated steering wheel? Making it truly a plug n play with no trip to the dealership needed?
That is what I did and it was plug and play except for the heating.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:40 AM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Does anyone know if you can remove the Sport chrono lever and install the blank? Or do you have to replace that entire stalk assembly? Thanks guys
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (07-18-2022)
Old 06-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by TtimeS
Does anyone know if you can remove the Sport chrono lever and install the blank? Or do you have to replace that entire stalk assembly? Thanks guys
Are you referring the piece that holds the round mode selector? If so, no - there are 2 different wheels. You can make a blank out of something though and with a 3D printer, black paint and a little glue or 3M tape you one would ever know!
Old 06-06-2020, 11:30 AM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Are you referring the piece that holds the round mode selector? If so, no - there are 2 different wheels. You can make a blank out of something though and with a 3D printer, black paint and a little glue or 3M tape you one would ever know!
no. Referring to the bottom right lever that is on sport design wheel with sport chrono. It controls the instrument cluster stuff, but with the new wheel the MF controls will do that. I’d like to remove that lever, the way it is on 991.2 cars.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:27 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jlaw
Good questions that I should have included in my post.

I do have SC and so both my original wheel and the replacement MF wheel have the dial. No issues there, all is functioning correctly. Since I didn’t replace the clock spring, my only option was to just leave the existing MF stalk. It still works fine in addition to the MF buttons.

Does your diamond shortcut button work? My alcantara GT Sport steering wheel is on the way and i'm curious if I should do the DIY or let the dealer handle it. I love that shortcut button on my other car. I have a similar stock setup as you, MF stalk on the car.

Last edited by freshness; 10-09-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:26 AM
jlaw
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freshness
Does your diamond shortcut button work? My alcantara GT Sport steering wheel is on the way and i'm curious if I should do the DIY or let the dealer handle it. I love that shortcut button on my other car. I have a similar stock setup as you, MF stalk on the car.
It only functions as a “home” button; clicking it returns the display to the default boost etc gauge display. I believe you’d need to have the dealer do it to gain full functionality; not sure if you’d also need the new clock spring.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1

I understand what you mean by the loctite but couldn’t the op, alternatively, just buy the blue loctite stuff and dab some on? I’m not trying to be a smarta**, I’m really curious as to if this bolt is consider a “wear” item? I can see engine bolts that may “stretch”, but on the steering wheel??
I agree
Old 04-07-2021, 01:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I have reused the bolts in the past and never had problems.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:27 AM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

OP here. As has been covered, the new wheel comes with a new bolt, so I used it. I have plenty of blue Loctite around, but when a manufacturer sends me a bolt with a new part, I generally use the new bolt. Feel free to do as you see fit though.

Still love my "new" wheel 2.5 years later!
Old 05-02-2021, 03:24 PM
ed secrest
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did my 718 and Plug and Play!

Just used this method to swap wheels with heater and sf and went flawless (leather to carbon fiber). Thank you to the author, and all of the comments after to clear up anything.

So the wheel I took off is identical to the wheel the author put on, except mine is leather. Where do I post the wheel taken off for sale to get the right audience? It is basically new, since the car only has 1700 miles on it. Any ideas so I don't waste my time? And what is it worth?

This is my new carbon fiber install

My available wheel

My available wheel

My available wheel

Old 05-02-2021, 03:56 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by ed secrest
Just used this method to swap wheels with heater and sf and went flawless (leather to carbon fiber). Thank you to the author, and all of the comments after to clear up anything.

So the wheel I took off is identical to the wheel the author put on, except mine is leather. Where do I post the wheel taken off for sale to get the right audience? It is basically new, since the car only has 1700 miles on it. Any ideas so I don't waste my time? And what is it worth?

This is my new carbon fiber install

My available wheel

My available wheel

My available wheel
You need to sign up for membership and post in the marketplace. Only paid members are allowed to post for any items for sale.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:06 PM
ed secrest
3rd Gear

I was asking where to post. Know I know. thank you.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:07 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ed secrest
I was asking where to post. Know I know. thank you.
You can post it on 6speedonline but you still have to join, but no cost to do so.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:01 PM
ed secrest
3rd Gear

thank you. I am a member there too.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Steering Wheel Removal / Install DIY