Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Steering Wheel Removal / Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:19 PM
icustomxxxi
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the thread on how to put a 991.2 multi function and heated wheel into a 991.1 with a sport design wheel. Is there any info for putting a 991.2 heated multi function wheel into a 991.2 without heat or multi function? Is it a simple steering wheel and clock spring swap and a trip the the dealer for some coding? Or is it more involved? Thank!
Old 07-20-2019, 02:41 PM
davcbr
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Ditto I search and I find nothing, I know that it is necessary to add a control button, and change the cover under the steering wheel
Old 11-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

billiant thks, my 991.1 RS seems to have a different center lock bolt size tho
Old 11-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by icustomxxxi
I have seen the thread on how to put a 991.2 multi function and heated wheel into a 991.1 with a sport design wheel. Is there any info for putting a 991.2 heated multi function wheel into a 991.2 without heat or multi function? Is it a simple steering wheel and clock spring swap and a trip the the dealer for some coding? Or is it more involved? Thank!
I didn’t know the answer to this question when you first asked it but I have since learned the hard way (lol). You would need a new clock spring & column switch installed, the rest is coding. That’s where it gets a little more complicated: the functions for heating & MF are actually attached to your VIN - and that approval comes from Germany (seriously). When you buy an accessory through Tequipment that license is “included” in the price & attached to your VIN (that’s why they are supposed to ask you for it when you order an item like that), so all you pay extra is for the dealer to activate. I don’t know how you buy that separately...maybe Suncoast would? Definitely need to investigate however...hope that helps.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:55 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

I successfully added the multifunction buttons on my 991.2 that originally did not have multifunction. I did not attempt heat (i believe you need the clockspring for that)-but for the multifunction buttons to operate, you just need the buttons, appropriate harness and the programmed control box (the black one inside the spokes of the wheel where the wires connect) for it to work. No vin work was needed as far as I know (dealer did have to swap to a programmed control box).
Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by polobai
I successfully added the multifunction buttons on my 991.2 that originally did not have multifunction. I did not attempt heat (i believe you need the clockspring for that)-but for the multifunction buttons to operate, you just need the buttons, appropriate harness and the programmed control box (the black one inside the spokes of the wheel where the wires connect) for it to work. No vin work was needed as far as I know (dealer did have to swap to a programmed control box).
Interesting...I don’t want to put a specific person/website “on blast” but I was ABSOLUTELY told it had to be activated. The reason it rang true was after “assigning” the license from the Tequipment steering wheel purchase to my VIN, I then called a DIFFERENT dealer & asked about activating it & they replied, “ok, no problem - we see that you have MF/heating active on your VIN”.

So they charged you NOTHING outside the parts and 30 minutes labor to connect to PIWIS & activate?

To be fair, I get the feeling the responses we get from the major parts suppliers we ALL use are more “best guesses” and it’s not easy to disprove or challenge what you are being told. Case in point, I was told UNEQUIVOCALLY by the Service Manager that the “comfort down/up from key remote” setting could not be activated on the 991/981 in the US because of safety laws. That was false - I had it working on BOTH those cars but it took pestering them relentlessly to try PIWIS suggestions I found online.

Sorry if I was mistaken, just passing along what I had been told from what I believed to be a reputable resource. Have others been able
to accomplish this as Polobai did?
Old 11-05-2019, 07:31 PM
davcbr
Instructor

I have since had mine installed, it works except for the shortcut key to program, and Porsche doesn't know how to do it since it didn't receive the code, this code is only given to the driver bought from them

But the rest of it works.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:08 PM
polobai
Drifting

So they charged you NOTHING outside the parts and 30 minutes labor to connect to PIWIS & activate?

Not quite. They had to replace the existing box with a programmed control box-not sure if they had to activate anything. I have a good relationship with my SA who was able to cover it on the house. I’m sure otherwise it would have been a couple hours labor and the cost of the new box.

I was not able to find much info on it either-so I just pulled the trigger and hoped for the best!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:41 AM
davcbr
Instructor

Hello,

They just charged me for installing the steering wheel +- 120€, the black box was already in the steering wheel, it's just that without the code they can't do anything
Old 12-16-2019, 04:53 AM
kingerm
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by icustomxxxi
Care to share the thread that goes thru 991.2 mf into a 991.1? TIA
Old 03-27-2020, 10:42 PM
jlaw
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, thanks for the excellent writeup. Just installed an OEM Alcantara MF/heated wheel in my 991.2 C2S that came with the GT Sport wheel but with NO MF/heating, and these instructions made it simple.

I have seen this posted a lot with varying answers, but I can confirm that the MF was plug and play and is working perfectly with no clock spring swap or dealer programming required. Hope this helps. FYI though, the heating function does not work - for that, you do need to replace the clock spring - but I live in Miami and have no use for it.
The following users liked this post:
polobai (03-28-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlaw
OP, thanks for the excellent writeup. Just installed an OEM Alcantara MF/heated wheel in my 991.2 C2S that came with the GT Sport wheel but with NO MF/heating, and these instructions made it simple.

I have seen this posted a lot with varying answers, but I can confirm that the MF was plug and play and is working perfectly with no clock spring swap or dealer programming required. Hope this helps. FYI though, the heating function does not work - for that, you do need to replace the clock spring - but I live in Miami and have no use for it.
Did you have SC as well with the dial in the steering wheel? I think that complicated things. Just curious - what did you do with your MF stalk??
Old 03-28-2020, 12:50 AM
jlaw
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Did you have SC as well with the dial in the steering wheel? I think that complicated things. Just curious - what did you do with your MF stalk??
Good questions that I should have included in my post.

I do have SC and so both my original wheel and the replacement MF wheel have the dial. No issues there, all is functioning correctly. Since I didn’t replace the clock spring, my only option was to just leave the existing MF stalk. It still works fine in addition to the MF buttons.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:14 AM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlaw
Good questions that I should have included in my post.

I do have SC and so both my original wheel and the replacement MF wheel have the dial. No issues there, all is functioning correctly. Since I didn’t replace the clock spring, my only option was to just leave the existing MF stalk. It still works fine in addition to the MF buttons.
I had the exact experience and results doing my multifunction retrofit.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:26 AM
jlaw
AutoX

Originally Posted by polobai
I had the exact experience and results doing my multifunction retrofit.
Yes! Your posts about it were what inspired me to try.
The following users liked this post:
polobai (03-28-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Steering Wheel Removal / Install DIY