Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear latch cable unhooked

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The dealer finally fixed my rear engine compartment latch that would not open. In my case, it was not that the mechanic did not reconnect the cable to the latch. The bracket broke that holds the cable in. I've seen others that have the same problem. Now, the dealer still isn't done. Attempt number 1...they tell me the cable they ordered is too short so they had to place another order. Attempt number 2 - they got a new cable and bracket which is supposed to be the permanent fix. However, on the drive home I get an error message on the dash for "spoiler loss reduce speed". The spoiler is fully functional. It deploys fine and returns when speeds are reduced. But at 78 mph I get the same error. Have others had this problem after the engine compartment cable fix? I've got to bring the car back to the dealer again to have a new spoiler wire harness installed. The dealer says when they repair the cable they do not have to touch any of the spoiler wiring but I know the spoiler has to be removed to repair the cable. They indicate they've occasionally seen this "spoiler loss" and it's usually due to the harness. Thanks...
Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 PM
73strat
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zoiks
The dealer finally fixed my rear engine compartment latch that would not open. In my case, it was not that the mechanic did not reconnect the cable to the latch. The bracket broke that holds the cable in. I've seen others that have the same problem. Now, the dealer still isn't done. Attempt number 1...they tell me the cable they ordered is too short so they had to place another order. Attempt number 2 - they got a new cable and bracket which is supposed to be the permanent fix. However, on the drive home I get an error message on the dash for "spoiler loss reduce speed". The spoiler is fully functional. It deploys fine and returns when speeds are reduced. But at 78 mph I get the same error. Have others had this problem after the engine compartment cable fix? I've got to bring the car back to the dealer again to have a new spoiler wire harness installed. The dealer says when they repair the cable they do not have to touch any of the spoiler wiring but I know the spoiler has to be removed to repair the cable. They indicate they've occasionally seen this "spoiler loss" and it's usually due to the harness. Thanks...
I have been through this: independent dealer performed oil change and we were unable to open rear deck lid. Car under CPO, so I took it to dealer. After inspecting it the dealer knew exactly what was wrong: the indie shop tech didn’t check the latch cable was in place. Not covered by CPO. On my way home I received the spoiler message. So I slowed down, but (naturally) sped back up a few times and the message never returned. Independent shop thinks they did do it right, but agreed to credit the repair amount to any future work.

Seems like a weird design.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:48 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by 73strat

I have been through this: independent dealer performed oil change and we were unable to open rear deck lid. Car under CPO, so I took it to dealer. After inspecting it the dealer knew exactly what was wrong: the indie shop tech didn’t check the latch cable was in place. Not covered by CPO. On my way home I received the spoiler message. So I slowed down, but (naturally) sped back up a few times and the message never returned. Independent shop thinks they did do it right, but agreed to credit the repair amount to any future work.

Seems like a weird design.
Had the exact same thing happen to me with the indie service that did my oil change. I had to pay out of pocket to my dealer to resolve the issue.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:40 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Had the exact same thing happen to me with the indie service that did my oil change. I had to pay out of pocket to my dealer to resolve the issue.

I'm not convinced that the issue is caused by indie service. When I took mine in they asked me if I had messed with it and I said no. I had the last oil change done at a different Porsche dealership and the lid wouldn't open immediately after they had worked on the car. I'm wondering if the bracket breaks regardless of it being a indie mechanic or the Porsche mechanic? I do know in my cause the bracket that holds the cable in place had broken since they ordered the new upgraded one to fix it. I'm just glad it is fixed!

By the way, what did it cost you out of pocket?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:11 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seem like sloppy mechanic work will also cause this. Dealer had to take the bumper off to get mine realigned. under warranty. Problem ONLY surfaced after other work unrelated was done and the bumper was removed to begin with.
Not clear why one of the posters had to pay labor under warranty - unless the dealer knew Porsche would turn them down for sloppy work, so they passed the costs to the customer. or they charged Porsche and customer. but that would be unscrupulous and all dealers are honest.....

Quick Reply: Rear latch cable unhooked