Sponsored by:

991 S Cab won me over...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:33 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Default 991 S Cab won me over...

I've been a fairly vocal detractor of the 991 since it came out. I like the design but thought it was too big, too soft...too much like a Mercedes. I've even tried the GT3 RS and wasn't impressed.

As a bit of back story I've had two 964s, a 997 C2, 997 C4S, 996 GT3, 997 GT3 and Boxster Spyder...and some other stuff.

...and then I bought this car. Honestly, I love it. It's not visceral and thrilling like some of the aforementioned but we're having a ton of fun with it. We have one child (an 8 year old boy) so the three of us can go out together for a cruise or run errands or a weekend trip. My wife can drive it as it's PDK as she doesn't drive standard so she uses it daily to take him to summer camps and in the fall and spring she'll take him to school in it.

The top is brilliant. Must be the best in the business...solid, quiet, coupe-like when up and unobstrusive when down. I think I might even like the look of it up better than the regular coupe. Ride is well judged, steering is excellent and I'm enjoying PDK more than I ever expected. In short a brilliant car that we're having a ball with as a family. I've even lent it to friends and my parents.

All that and it was about half of original MSRP and CPO'd with only 24,000 miles! I feel like I stole it!

Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 954 Posts

That’s a great story, and great looking car. The Sport Techno wheels look especially good, and the cocoa top looks very nice with the silver paint.

I think it’s easy to get lost when comparing the 991 to other Porsches. You can get so caught up in what it’s not, that you lose sight of what it is. It’s a fantastic car. My 991 is the best 911 that I’ve owned yet, and I love driving it. I never thought I’d say that about a PDK car when compared to my 997 Turbo with a manual transmission, but I wouldn’t go back to the 997 if I had the choice. The 991 is simply wonderful.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:50 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
That’s a great story, and great looking car. The Sport Techno wheels look especially good, and the cocoa top looks very nice with the silver paint.

I think it’s easy to get lost when comparing the 991 to other Porsches. You can get so caught up in what it’s not, that you lose sight of what it is. It’s a fantastic car. My 991 is the best 911 that I’ve owned yet, and I love driving it. I never thought I’d say that about a PDK car when compared to my 997 Turbo with a manual transmission, but I wouldn’t go back to the 997 if I had the choice. The 991 is simply wonderful.
I'm learning that it's the versatility and practicality that's leading me to enjoy it more...I can just use it more. Never thought I'd say that!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:56 PM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 991 S cab is my first 911. as a lover of droptops (also had an S2000) in my previous years, this was the best of both worlds. In terms of the looks, it's unique and the fabric top doesn't ruin the design much like other convertibles when compared to their coupe counterparts. Although I do feel that the rear hips are much more accentuated in the coupe and targa
Old 08-24-2018, 11:02 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats. Looks great. I’d love a GT3 RS.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:31 PM
Kirei911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats the car looks fantastic!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:32 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

nice --
congrats
Im loving mine so far
Old 08-28-2018, 11:37 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

Congrats! The 991 cab really is the best of both the top up and the top down driving worlds.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:29 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 436 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C

I agree with Dennis. I am on my fourth cabriolet. This Turbo Cabriolet is something else. Every time I get it and drive I can’t believe how good the car is.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:17 AM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
I've been a fairly vocal detractor of the 991 since it came out. I like the design but thought it was too big, too soft...too much like a Mercedes. I've even tried the GT3 RS and wasn't impressed.

As a bit of back story I've had two 964s, a 997 C2, 997 C4S, 996 GT3, 997 GT3 and Boxster Spyder...and some other stuff.

...and then I bought this car. Honestly, I love it. It's not visceral and thrilling like some of the aforementioned but we're having a ton of fun with it. We have one child (an 8 year old boy) so the three of us can go out together for a cruise or run errands or a weekend trip. My wife can drive it as it's PDK as she doesn't drive standard so she uses it daily to take him to summer camps and in the fall and spring she'll take him to school in it.

The top is brilliant. Must be the best in the business...solid, quiet, coupe-like when up and unobstrusive when down. I think I might even like the look of it up better than the regular coupe. Ride is well judged, steering is excellent and I'm enjoying PDK more than I ever expected. In short a brilliant car that we're having a ball with as a family. I've even lent it to friends and my parents.

All that and it was about half of original MSRP and CPO'd with only 24,000 miles! I feel like I stole it!

New to the Forum and First Post.

Beautiful car, congrats.

Could you comment on the rear visibility when driving with the top up? I had a 2013 Boxster and was frustrated by the poor visibility. I had a hard time backing up and changing lanes due to the massive blindspot, Yeah, I know everyone says adjust your mirrors. I guess I could just never get it right. Oh, of course all of this is solved with just putting the top down but in the Seattle area, this isn't very often. I eventually sold the car because I just didn't like driving it. I was hoping the 911 version was better with regards to this.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:13 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Hooray! Those wheels are awesome!
Old 08-30-2018, 11:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

I'm learning that it's the versatility and practicality that's leading me to enjoy it more...I can just use it more. Never thought I'd say that!
Welcome to the epiphany, my friend, and congrats on the new ride. I suspect there are a lot of people who have hotter 991s they don't use much...who would be having more fun in "lesser" 991s they used more often, and with greater abandon.

Nice looking car, GT Silver with a brown top. Is the interior black, or is that just the light?
Old 09-03-2018, 01:40 AM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BUMP

Beautiful car, congrats.

Could you comment on the rear visibility when driving with the top up? I had a 2013 Boxster and was frustrated by the poor visibility. I had a hard time backing up and changing lanes due to the massive blindspot, Yeah, I know everyone says adjust your mirrors. I guess I could just never get it right. Oh, of course all of this is solved with just putting the top down but in the Seattle area, this isn't very often. I eventually sold the car because I just didn't like driving it. I was hoping the 911 version was better with regards to this.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW2015
BUMP

Beautiful car, congrats.

i have a 991.1 Cab as well rear visibility while lane changing has not been an issue - good enough, backing up with a camera and mirrors works ok as well, not killer visabily but gets the job done, and I back into every space.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

I have driven a 991.1 cab since 2014. I have never even thought about the visibility when driving with the top up, indicating to me that it is a non-issue (for me, anyway).
The following users liked this post:
drcollie (05-24-2020)

Quick Reply: 991 S Cab won me over...