Sponsored by:

911 Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Dan- we have very similar cars. Different wheels but close enough for Govt work. I own my car, so a lease swap is not in my future- but that has never stopped me before from trading.
The 911 in my garage is about a year and half old. Just can't imagine parting with it so soon. We also have a Cayenne Diesel, almost 5 years old, still looks, smells and runs like new. Don't get me wrong, I love new cars. Thirty some odd cars in my history proves it. There is something about a Porsche with some time and miles on it that I find particularly nice. Now the practical side- you'll be able to buy the car for $65k next year. Add the total of your next years payments plus the $65k and compare that to jumping into a new car. Just saying, you may not think an upgrade is worth it.
Mine is a weekend car, at this point to upgrade to change some options or the color would not be worth it to me. You may have a different opinion and budget. You'll know when it stops being fun money.
True, I’ve had a lot of cars, too. I am thinking that if I tweak the build just a little, I’ll have it for a long time. Let’s see what the numbers are and then I’ll know if it is fun or not!!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy

Thanks kindly for the advice. I’m trying to make a rational decision on buying an irrational car.

^ that’s me for just about every sports car I have ever owned...
Old 08-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

I met with my SA and he gave me some interesting information that helped me with the decision.

992:
  • C2 will be hybrid. The big "T" Turbo will also be a hybrid.
  • Cars will have over a million lines of code. For comparison, the 991 has 100,000.
  • Expectation of more standard features, base price hike of $10K, similar to new Cayenne.
  • Appearance will be family look, especially back end.
  • All 911s will be wide body.
Cayman/Boxster
  • GTS versions have a money factor of half the 911 to move them.
I sat in 18-way sport tex. There were no 4-way sport tex seats for me to try. The 18-ways are narrow but I could move the bolsters outward to make them fit. I am a runner, have a narrow build, and tall. I found them to be comfortable and seemingly with more cushion than my 14-ways. I wonder if the bolsters on the 14-way are set narrow? If so, I would certainly order the 18-ways.

Color. I am shying away from the Miami blue because I haven't been able to find one within 100 miles to look at. A lot of times photos just don't give you the right perspective, and probably that is true in this case. That's not to say I have ruled it out - just not convinced. My SA called it Barbie Doll blue, and dealers have a difficult time moving them. I realize that this car is for me. Anyway, I am considering ordering another GT Silver car as there just isn't another color on the palette for me. If I move forward, this car will have another 8-11K in options over my current car and will be built as a keeper.

GTS Boxster. I will take a GTS Boxster out for a test drive next week. With the current financial advantages, he estimated about $500/month in savings so why not look at it.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

If the car is for you and be built as a keeper get the color you like, even if it is Miami Blue. Silver is nice but man, there are a lot of Silver cars out there, including 911s.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 PM
Lo911TTS
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I met with my SA and he gave me some interesting information that helped me with the decision.

992:
  • Cars will have over a million lines of code. For comparison, the 991 has 100,000.
  • Expectation of more standard features, base price hike of $10K, similar to new Cayenne.
Cayman/Boxster
I sat in 18-way sport tex. There were no 4-way sport tex seats for me to try. The 18-ways are narrow but I could move the bolsters outward to make them fit. I am a runner, have a narrow build, and tall. I found them to be comfortable and seemingly with more cushion than my 14-ways. I wonder if the bolsters on the 14-way are set narrow? If so, I would certainly order the 18-ways.

Color. I am shying away from the Miami blue because I haven't been able to find one within 100 miles to look at. A lot of times photos just don't give you the right perspective, and probably that is true in this case. That's not to say I have ruled it out - just not convinced. My SA called it Barbie Doll blue, and dealers have a difficult time moving them. I realize that this car is for me. Anyway, I am considering ordering another GT Silver car as there just isn't another color on the palette for me. If I move forward, this car will have another 8-11K in options over my current car and will be built as a keeper.

GTS Boxster. I will take a GTS Boxster out for a test drive next week. With the current financial advantages, he estimated about $500/month in savings so why not look at it.
Just curious what dealership in Virginia are you dealing with ?
Old 08-22-2018, 07:56 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Silver and Guards Red are classic 911 colors. You cant go wrong with either.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:46 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Lo911TTS
Just curious what dealership in Virginia are you dealing with ?
Dan, I am curious as well...you can PM me...I would be interested in hearing your experience at your dealer...

BTW, I have a 2018 Targa 4 GTS if you want to take it for a spin...
Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If the car is for you and be built as a keeper get the color you like, even if it is Miami Blue. Silver is nice but man, there are a lot of Silver cars out there, including 911s.
That’s the thing. Taking the 911 on a trip today over a long weekend so I’ll be looking at my GT silver with that in mind. Still, a 911 wrapped in sikver isnt the same as a Camry wrapoed in it.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:31 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Randy M
Silver and Guards Red are classic 911 colors. You cant go wrong with either.
Thought about the red, too. Ive had three red Fiat Spiders and two red Triumphs, so I do like it. I saw a red 911T and is was beautiful with the rims that come with it - in strong sunlight it has a bit of an orange hue. I winder about swirl marks in the paint though. This one will get PPF, So guess it wont matter.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:40 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by wes66vette
Dan, I am curious as well...you can PM me...I would be interested in hearing your experience at your dealer...

BTW, I have a 2018 Targa 4 GTS if you want to take it for a spin...
After writing the above, I am a bit afraid to say which dealer for fear of getting him into trouble. Maybe I wrote too much. He is an A+ SA and really plays the role of advisor and advocate. We have a great relationship, and he has put together two excellent deals for me and one for a buddy. Sorry on that account.

I am heading off for a long weekend to go on a great toller coaster at Knoebles Grove today, hikibg tomorrow at Ricketts Glen, then working on our house in PA do some painting. But!!!! I would love to check out your Targa! I’ll get back to you next week, and thanks!
Old 08-23-2018, 08:59 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

PS - I wasnt drunk while typing the above. I was using my phone and didnt catch the typos with the small print. I turned off auto correct on my iPhone as it was often auto correcting to the wrong word. Now I need to go set it to larger print!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:16 AM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

992:
Cayman/Boxster

Will the entire 911 line be hybrid? Any details about HP/Torque numbers? This is huge for the series.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:32 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

992:
If true, after 4 911s I will look elsewhere...sad.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:39 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

992:
Cayman/Boxster

What does this mean?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Stethoscope
Will the entire 911 line be hybrid? Any details about HP/Torque numbers? This is huge for the series.
I was told the C2 and Turbo only, the midrange will remain the same. I am a bit afraid of what that means... maybe a 4 cylinder hybrid in the C2? Who knows?

Quick Reply: 911 Decision Time