911 Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
One thing I found over my 50+ years of car ownership. If you get a new one in the same color as the old one, it does not feel like a new car. Color does that. Ask me how I know...
I see the point, but I don't necessarily agree. My 991 is essentially the same color combination as my 997 was. When the 991 was delivered, I had the 997 sitting in my driveway. My wife actually struggled to tell the difference between new and old, even though it was readily apparent to me. The 991 was such a huge upgrade over the 997, it still felt new. I can see how this would be more of an issue going from a 991.1 to a 991.2, or something similar.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I see the point, but I don't necessarily agree. My 991 is essentially the same color combination as my 997 was. When the 991 was delivered, I had the 997 sitting in my driveway. My wife actually struggled to tell the difference between new and old, even though it was readily apparent to me. The 991 was such a huge upgrade over the 997, it still felt new. I can see how this would be more of an issue going from a 991.1 to a 991.2, or something similar.

Yep, I am going from a 991.2 to a 991.2.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Might be more of an issue then!
Old 08-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C

I did the same with Corvettes - sold a metallic red C5 for another metallic red C6, only very slightly different hues. Then with my 991S's, one was basalt black and the second was black (both bought used/CPO). I finally mixed it up a little when I went with Sapphire Blue on my current GTS.

Nothing wrong with really liking a color and sticking with it, if it moves you!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

The saga continues....

So, I took our a 718 GTS today for comparison.

1. The characteristics of the car have changed from the 981. Exhaust and engine notes are dramatically different. My SA likes them in a different way, but it's not for me. It just sounds busy to me rather than musical.
2. Gear selection is not as smooth. Maybe my 911 transmission build happened on a good day because it is as smooth as silk.
3. The turbo on the engine gives a kick, not as smooth as the 911.
4. Handling: I am now a sucker for sliding the 911 rear end. I can't give that up.
5. I was carrying a backpack, so when I went to get in the car I absentmindedly pulled the seat back forward to throw it in the back seat. Whoops.
6. Seats: Sorry to all that recommended the Sport Seats Plus. After spending some time in them, I found that they pinched my hip joints. I am tall and thin, so I guess the seats are for smaller guys than me. I could do short trips, but on a long trip (I tend to do that mostly), it might be quite uncomfortable.

So I've narrowed down my build to a C2, 20" rims, Miami Blue. My SA calls it "Barbie Doll blue", but I won't be deterred. There is a November build that I can take.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:00 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Go for it. Did they give you a trade offer on your current car? I went with Miami Blue as well and it has a November delivery date. And who cares what other think about the color as long as you like it.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Miami Blue will look great. I love that color.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:07 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
The saga continues....

So, I took our a 718 GTS today for comparison.

1. The characteristics of the car have changed from the 981. Exhaust and engine notes are dramatically different. My SA likes them in a different way, but it's not for me. It just sounds busy to me rather than musical.
2. Gear selection is not as smooth. Maybe my 911 transmission build happened on a good day because it is as smooth as silk.
3. The turbo on the engine gives a kick, not as smooth as the 911.
4. Handling: I am now a sucker for sliding the 911 rear end. I can't give that up.
5. I was carrying a backpack, so when I went to get in the car I absentmindedly pulled the seat back forward to throw it in the back seat. Whoops.
6. Seats: Sorry to all that recommended the Sport Seats Plus. After spending some time in them, I found that they pinched my hip joints. I am tall and thin, so I guess the seats are for smaller guys than me. I could do short trips, but on a long trip (I tend to do that mostly), it might be quite uncomfortable.

So I've narrowed down my build to a C2, 20" rims, Miami Blue. My SA calls it "Barbie Doll blue", but I won't be deterred. There is a November build that I can take.
Miami Blue is an awesome color! Your SA tried to talk me out of PCCBs and ACC, too...and tried to talk me into getting the rear valance painted black (which would have been awesome, but I had to draw the line somewhere hehe) He ain't always right! Your Miami Blue will be STUNNING.

One suggestion - if I was doing Miami Blue, I would get the painted interior plus the Miami Blue seatbelts, for contrast against the seats. I had yellow belts/gauges on my previous black 991S and colored belts were really sharp. No blue belts to match my Sapphire Blue so I went with GT silver (and GT silver deviated stitching).

Cannot wait to see what your build looks like!
Old 08-28-2018, 05:10 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Mine will have the Miami Blue painted interior pieces and seat belts as well; however, I passed on the $1720 painted air vent options.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:11 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

It sounds like you are getting close to the final decisions! I've often been tempted to go bold in color but have always balked. Congrats on that! I think it will look great.

Of course another big part is the wheel choice. I don't think I've seen you make mention of what wheels you are considering. Thoughts?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:22 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Mine will have the Miami Blue painted interior pieces and seat belts as well; however, I passed on the $1720 painted air vent options.
LOL - I agree, painted vents were not my taste. Even if they were at no cost LOL....
Old 08-28-2018, 06:01 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by StormRune
It sounds like you are getting close to the final decisions! I've often been tempted to go bold in color but have always balked. Congrats on that! I think it will look great.

Of course another big part is the wheel choice. I don't think I've seen you make mention of what wheels you are considering. Thoughts?

Here is where I am at today:

Old 08-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Miami Blue is an awesome color! Your SA tried to talk me out of PCCBs and ACC, too...and tried to talk me into getting the rear valance painted black (which would have been awesome, but I had to draw the line somewhere hehe) He ain't always right! Your Miami Blue will be STUNNING.

One suggestion - if I was doing Miami Blue, I would get the painted interior plus the Miami Blue seatbelts, for contrast against the seats. I had yellow belts/gauges on my previous black 991S and colored belts were really sharp. No blue belts to match my Sapphire Blue so I went with GT silver (and GT silver deviated stitching).

Cannot wait to see what your build looks like!

I love your interior, but mine is going to be all black including trim pieces. If I can find a way to do the steering wheel black, that, too. I looked at the black/tan leather but don't like how it looks. Black/red and blue/chalk won't go with this.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:11 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

I know you are looking at ordering new, and perhaps only interested in leases, but this 2017 looks pretty close to your build preferences and you could upgrade to an S in your new color preference (with less miles and full CPO 2 year warranty extension) for a huge discount compared to a 2018 build. Are there any real changes for 2018?

CPO 2017 991.2 S manual in Miami Blue with sport package, 7K miles, $104 ask.

https://www.porscheofkingsautomall.c...4996a42bb2.htm

Old 08-28-2018, 06:26 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Here is where I am at today:

Very nice! Love the wheels!

Quick Reply: 911 Decision Time