Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Decision Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018 | 02:23 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by stout
If you're happy enough with your seats, this may be the best option. I'd wrap it in Meerblau or Brewster Green...those more sophisticated colors will go well with your 19s, and also downplay your black/glass roof. Or maybe there was some other PTS color you like? Very hard to argue with finishing out your lease and then getting a used 911 that you ordered to your liking and have cared for since Day 1 for $65k.

Yep, I might do that. I'll see what the numbers come up to be. I also have to figure in the thousands for VA annual property tax. As the car grows older the tax diminishes.
Old 08-16-2018 | 02:25 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You're not likely to get a 718 Spyder at anything close to MSRP if you don't already have yourself gamed into the system. So consider that.
I was promised one at list price, but not sure about a Spyder after the 911. I really enjoy the C2's characteristics, iconic shape, and ease of taking it on a long road trip.
Old 08-16-2018 | 04:05 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Doesn't sound like it is decision time yet. You have 1 more year lease on a car you seem to really like. Ride it out and this will give you some visibility into what the 992 will look like and what the specs will be. Worse case you drive a great car for 1 more year then pull the trigger.
Old 08-16-2018 | 04:28 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Doesn't sound like it is decision time yet. You have 1 more year lease on a car you seem to really like. Ride it out and this will give you some visibility into what the 992 will look like and what the specs will be. Worse case you drive a great car for 1 more year then pull the trigger.
That's true and good advice. Still, I have some numbers coming from my SA that might send me down that path. My SA said he could easily get a C2 allocation, but can he? Maybe it's a non-starter.

Also a consideration is buying a first year of a new model and the unforeseen issues that arise. I wonder if 991 first year models were troublesome?
Old 08-16-2018 | 04:50 PM
CloudJumping
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stout
Ventilated definitely makes the seat "harder", and I was gonna say "keep your car" until I got to the 14-ways. And SportTex is the daddy of them all when it comes to comfort. I would make the switch if 4WSS+ (go sit in a pair) are in the cards. Agree about colors, and hard to go wrong with your GT Silver (if that's what you have), though I have to admit loving the 991 in Agate after all these years. It's never gotten old, even if I know there are too many gray cars out there. Miami, which I initially hated, has grown on me and I too would consider it. Plus, there is always something cool about a "last of" car. I don't think it makes them more valuable to others, but I like that in a car. 1998 993s, for instance.
With my 981 I had 14way's
I have been driving my T with the ventilated 4 way seats for the last 2 weeks and did 2k+ miles with a few days that had 8 hours of driving. I really had zero issue with comfort and was actually very impressed with how comfortable the whole car was. Sportex is obviously awesome but in the end its hot as hell in SoCal and didnt want to roast anymore than I already do on the 405.
Old 08-16-2018 | 05:24 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
That's true and good advice. Still, I have some numbers coming from my SA that might send me down that path. My SA said he could easily get a C2 allocation, but can he? Maybe it's a non-starter.

Also a consideration is buying a first year of a new model and the unforeseen issues that arise. I wonder if 991 first year models were troublesome?
I owned a 2013 C4S launch vehicle for 4 years with no issues at all. There will be some body alterations but I don't believe the engine and internals will see big changes.
Old 08-16-2018 | 05:49 PM
Randy M
Drifting

The last year of a model in most instances is better than a first year model. If I were interested in a 992 I would wait a year of two.
Old 08-16-2018 | 06:29 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Yeah, the Miami Blue paint has really grown on me. However, where I live it's a sea of gray, black, and white cars. It would really stick out and attract unwanted attention. I want it, but a little afraid of it at the same time.
I love Miami blue and lava orange and was concerned about the unwanted attention as well but couldn't resist so I upgraded to a 2018 and love it so far...

Old 08-17-2018 | 08:49 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

I love the lava orange, too, but afraid I need a more calming color on my car. I’d drive that orange car like a bat out of hell all the time.
Old 08-17-2018 | 10:57 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

I had my car in to check the A/C and saw my SA. He told me it was time that I could order another car (mine is leased). So the wheels have been turning ever since.

The options are:

1. Keep the current car. I had this built and love the car. It is perfect for me, right down to the 19 inch rims.
2. Order a new one. I spent the past 5 days on the configurator. With so few paint choices, the only color I might consider is Miami blue. I was going to do PTS, but I refuse to give Porsche that obscene amount. The rest of the options would remain the same. I am not sure it is worth changing it out, and it makes little sense to build another car exactly like the one I have. My SA can get a C2 allocation for me. I thought about changing models, maybe a Targa, but after consideration of the line, the C2 coupe is the right fit for me.
3. Wait for the 718 Spyder. I am on the fence about this one but already on the waiting list for it. It's a sexy car, but not a 911, and no turbo. I love the low end torque.
4. Wait for a 992. I am worried about the 992. I like real gauges and the unique body style of the current 911. The new one looks like a Panamera coupe to me, not a 911. But still.

For the past few days I have been driving the 911 to work to help me sort out what to do. I don't want to wait too long as the C2 allocations will soon be gone. Right now, I think there is no bad decision in this case and defaulting to keep my current C2.

If I keep the car, I was thinking about wrapping the car in a different color just for a change. Has anybody ever done this?

If I order a new one, I might make a few small changes. I currently have ventilated 14 ways. The seat bottoms seem rather thin on long trips (some of the long trips are 8 hours). I was thinking about switching to Sport-tex in Sport Seats Plus (4-way) and wonder if they would have more padding due to lack of the ventilation and motors. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of switch?
If it were me, on an ordered car that I had spec’ed out exactly as I had wanted, I would keep it (as long as you can live with the seats. Your color is a classic, sophisticated color that looks fantastic. Miami looks great but that is a color you might get tired of.

Yeah, the Miami Blue paint has really grown on me. However, where I live it's a sea of gray, black, and white cars. It would really stick out and attract unwanted attention. I want it, but a little afraid of it at the same time.
LOL I feel that my Sapphire Blue attracts a lot of attention to say the least. But I have a very emotional connection with that color (lusted after it for years and could not find a used one to my liking so ordered from scratch) - not sure I could say the same about Miami.

Yep, I might do that. I'll see what the numbers come up to be. I also have to figure in the thousands for VA annual property tax. As the car grows older the tax diminishes.
Oh crap, forgot about our stupid tax. That would be enough to make me want to hold on to the car lol.

That's what I am thinking about, too, but don't know of anybody that has done it here.
I know a local guy, if you decide to go this route (or even to just ask questions). The guy that did my full PPF did an outstanding job. I haven’t seen a lot of 911’s wrapped in vinyl but some people do it. You could get some really interesting colors that you might not get unless PTS. And if you tire of it, you would still have that gorgeous silver underneath.
Old 08-17-2018 | 11:40 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

I love the lava orange, too, but afraid I need a more calming color on my car. I’d drive that orange car like a bat out of hell all the time.
Yeah, it has to be driven fast...my wife can't stand it.

A win-win if you ask me.
Old 08-17-2018 | 12:07 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I owned a 2013 C4S launch vehicle for 4 years with no issues at all. There will be some body alterations but I don't believe the engine and internals will see big changes.
Thanks for that and good to know! That’ll be part of the decision tree.
Old 08-17-2018 | 12:09 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hurricane
If it were me, on an ordered car that I had spec’ed out exactly as I had wanted, I would keep it (as long as you can live with the seats. Your color is a classic, sophisticated color that looks fantastic. Miami looks great but that is a color you might get tired of.

LOL I feel that my Sapphire Blue attracts a lot of attention to say the least. But I have a very emotional connection with that color (lusted after it for years and could not find a used one to my liking so ordered from scratch) - not sure I could say the same about Miami.

Oh crap, forgot about our stupid tax. That would be enough to make me want to hold on to the car lol.

I know a local guy, if you decide to go this route (or even to just ask questions). The guy that did my full PPF did an outstanding job. I haven’t seen a lot of 911’s wrapped in vinyl but some people do it. You could get some really interesting colors that you might not get unless PTS. And if you tire of it, you would still have that gorgeous silver underneath.
Thanks kindly for the advice. I’m trying to make a rational decision on buying an irrational car.

Last edited by Dan Nagy; 08-17-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2018 | 02:13 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Dan- we have very similar cars. Different wheels but close enough for Govt work. I own my car, so a lease swap is not in my future- but that has never stopped me before from trading.
The 911 in my garage is about a year and half old. Just can't imagine parting with it so soon. We also have a Cayenne Diesel, almost 5 years old, still looks, smells and runs like new. Don't get me wrong, I love new cars. Thirty some odd cars in my history proves it. There is something about a Porsche with some time and miles on it that I find particularly nice. Now the practical side- you'll be able to buy the car for $65k next year. Add the total of your next years payments plus the $65k and compare that to jumping into a new car. Just saying, you may not think an upgrade is worth it.
Mine is a weekend car, at this point to upgrade to change some options or the color would not be worth it to me. You may have a different opinion and budget. You'll know when it stops being fun money.
Old 08-17-2018 | 02:17 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Didn't you know, orange adds 50hp!

Quick Reply: 911 Decision Time