Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:13 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

I bought a preowned set of OEM 19" wheels w/ winter tires for my C4S and change to them when ever needed.

It's nice not having to limit my enjoyment of the C4S just because of the weather.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Isle in Dixie

What all-season tires do you have? Tire rack does not show a single all-season tire available for my 991.2.
I have Michelin AS3+. But the problem is, I have a 996 and you have a 991. You are correct - it’s difficult or impossible to find AS tires in your size. So you might be better off getting a set of winters that are narrower. Tire rack can help there.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
For the turbo it is 295. Aside from the handing issues. Are you damaging the summer tires when they are driven in the winter assuming you are not pushing them to their reduced limits?
I doubt it. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carsnob
...all seasons = no seasons. Not a good compromise for optimum handling which is what you want in these cars.
The way to think about tires is that you 80 degrees of operating temperature. Let’s say that summers can tolerate 120F-40F. All seasons 90F-10F. Winters 60F-(-20)F. It’s not that all season don’t do anything well. It’s that they have a sweet spot just like any tire, and if that sweet spot works with you climate, then it’s fine.

Regarding performance, too, the driver is likely the weakest link, followed by the road. So someone who is Good behind the wheel will probably be a lot quicker with all seasons than someone with summers and not very experienced.

One final point: the best all seasons stick just as well as the worst summers. And then of course, as soon as it rains, there’s now a different tire that will perform the best. So what we to do, swap rain tires for ultimate rain performance? What if it rains while it’s cold out - rain+cold tires? That’s why they make M+S (mud and snow) and DWS (dry wet snow) versions of all season tires. The DWS all seasons perform twice as good in the arctic circle compared to any other all season tire. Yet they aren’t bad in summer (pretty darn good, but not great).

All seasons truly are 4 seasons, as long as your seasons are mild.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnob
I Live in Canada and have been putting on 4 Pirelli snow tires on my four-wheel-drive 911's for 15 yrs.
Two sets of rims so the appearance of the car changes from summer to winter. Maybe there's one--or two at the most --heavy snow storms where the car is too low and would scrape bottom.
Otherwise the handling is fantastic on snowy roads & the braking with winter tires has been proven to be much improved.
Plus when the temperature is under 7°C (45F) the rubber of summer tires would harden and have less traction.
These are great winter cars so get the second set of tires and rims!
Also, all seasons = no seasons. Not a good compromise for optimum handling which is what you want in these cars.
+1 agree 100%

Quick Reply: Winter tires