Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Winter tires (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1090013-winter-tires.html)

neil.schneider 08-12-2018 08:57 PM

Winter tires

Do a lot of you guys run winter tires? I am in the northeast. I am on my 5th Porsche and in the past during the winter I never changed tires and reduced my driving to only "nicer" days. I never worried about temperature or what it does to the tires. Is it worth the change over from a wear standpoint, or even with the trouble/expense?

Nin Din Din 08-12-2018 09:09 PM

Are you running summer tires year round?

neil.schneider 08-12-2018 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din (Post 15210821)
Are you running summer tires year round?

I always have been but only drive a little during the harsh months on the nicer days.

Mike Murphy 08-12-2018 09:32 PM

The most ideal setup is to have two sets: winter and summer. The traction in winter on winters is so much better. This goes for dry+cold as well as wet+snow.

Even if you drive on the nicest days, what temp is that, still 30F outside? It’s really hard to get summers up to temp even with the sun shining hard and you driving spiritedly.

That said, some tire brands - Pirelli’s - tend to not do as well in cold as, say, Michelin’s.

With summers, it’s possible to get stuck in 1/2” of snow.

I actually run Michelin all seasons. Believe it or not, they do well enough on the track, and stick quite well in the coldest of temps. I can also move about in up to 6” of snow if need be.

.2PDK 08-12-2018 09:40 PM

PA4s

Isle in Dixie 08-12-2018 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978 (Post 15210855)
The most ideal setup is to have two sets: winter and summer. The traction in winter on winters is so much better. This goes for dry+cold as well as wet+snow.

Even if you drive on the nicest days, what temp is that, still 30F outside? It’s really hard to get summers up to temp even with the sun shining hard and you driving spiritedly.

That said, some tire brands - Pirelli’s - tend to not do as well in cold as, say, Michelin’s.

With summers, it’s possible to get stuck in 1/2” of snow.

I actually run Michelin all seasons. Believe it or not, they do well enough on the track, and stick quite well in the coldest of temps. I can also move about in up to 6” of snow if need be.

What all-season tires do you have? Tire rack does not show a single all-season tire available for my 991.2.

evilfij 08-12-2018 10:13 PM

The only way to fit all seasons to a 991 is to run narrower rear wheels with 275 width tires.

neil.schneider 08-12-2018 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by evilfij (Post 15210927)
The only way to fit all seasons to a 991 is to run narrower rear wheels with 275 width tires.

For the turbo it is 295. Aside from the handing issues. Are you damaging the summer tires when they are driven in the winter assuming you are not pushing them to their reduced limits?

bkrantz 08-12-2018 10:36 PM

I have had 2 sets of wheels and tires since driving my 964 C4 in Alaska. Even then, when I tried to push the summer tire season I had some near-misses. The first thing I bought, even before picking up my 2017 was a set of winter tires and wheels, which I swapped onto the car on the way home to Colorado in early March (good to have friends with shops in strategic places).

I know plenty of people drive summer tires year-round, even in places where they get some winter. But they might be playing with loaded dice.

Nin Din Din 08-12-2018 10:59 PM

carsnob 08-12-2018 11:12 PM

I Live in Canada and have been putting on 4 Pirelli snow tires on my four-wheel-drive 911's for 15 yrs.
Two sets of rims so the appearance of the car changes from summer to winter. Maybe there's one--or two at the most --heavy snow storms where the car is too low and would scrape bottom.
Otherwise the handling is fantastic on snowy roads & the braking with winter tires has been proven to be much improved.
Plus when the temperature is under 7°C (45F) the rubber of summer tires would harden and have less traction.
These are great winter cars so get the second set of tires and rims!
Also, all seasons = no seasons. Not a good compromise for optimum handling which is what you want in these cars.

spiderv6 08-12-2018 11:26 PM

Goodness. We are starting this in August this year??

Use search, OP. This is a topic discussed ad nauseam.

evilfij 08-12-2018 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by neil.schneider (Post 15210957)
For the turbo it is 295. Aside from the handing issues. Are you damaging the summer tires when they are driven in the winter assuming you are not pushing them to their reduced limits?

There are no 295 30 R20 all season tires.

Interesting question. All (at least that I am aware of) z rated Porsche tires say not even to store them below X degrees so I assume there is some at least theoretical issue with driving them in freezing temps.

I just bought a second set of wheels with snow tires so as not to have to worry.

neil.schneider 08-13-2018 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by evilfij (Post 15211062)

There are no 295 30 R20 all season tires.

Interesting question. All (at least that I am aware of) z rated Porsche tires say not even to store them below X degrees so I assume there is some at least theoretical issue with driving them in freezing temps.

I just bought a second set of wheels with snow tires so as not to have to worry.

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the size of the rear tires in winter spec not all season.

evilfij 08-13-2018 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by neil.schneider (Post 15211212)

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the size of the rear tires in winter spec not all season.

Of course. I ended up with alpins on OZ wheels in 295 rear, 245 front.