Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numb Steering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:41 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if anyone has ever tried disconnecting the wire that feeds EPS on our cars...
Old 08-15-2018, 06:10 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Much of this feedback went away with hydraulic power steering and most of it has been banished with electric power steering. I don't believe this is inherent in the EPS systems, but rather a notion by car manufacturers--even Porsche--the customers find too much feedback to be unrefined and distracting. That said, of the EPS systems ont he market, the hardware and calibration on the 991 is largely regarded as the best of the breed, because it still ahs some feedback--way more than any BMW for example. And the calibration is better on the 991.2, which I find satisfactory, even if the feel is not as good as on a 997.2 GT3.
Agree with this and there are times when EAS is better than hydraulic e.g. over bumps, potholes, rumble strips hit at high - speed, particularly if the kick back valving is poorly designed calibrated.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts

I have a .1S with PDCC and think the steering feels great. I don't get the complaint.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,782 Likes on 5,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I have a .1S with PDCC and think the steering feels great. I don't get the complaint.
Don’t worry. People just like to complain.

Someday all cars will be drive-by-wire like the Acura NSX of the Infiniti Q50 and then people will yearn for the good ole days of EAS.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:59 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Drive around in a Camry for a few days then hop back into the 911.

It'll feel perfect by then.

thst is too funny.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't get it either. When the 991 came out that is all you heard/read... I think sometimes magazine reviewers feel that they must latch onto a topic and appear somewhat critical, so that they don't seem too biased toward a manufacturer or too impressionable (?). I mean "the car is perfect" would not make for a great or long article if you are paid by the word ;-) Cue in EVO magazine for instance where readers complain when the GT3 wins car of the year almost every time - yeah but what if it's simply the best, huh? There was a change to electric assist for the 991 -> juicy target right there... Maybe it's flagrant if your other car is a recent GT3 but I've never thought my 991.1 steering felt numb, and I was cross shopping 997/991s back to back to back for a week, the thought never entered my mind. It's a modern car, not a 73RS.

One of my other cars (the beater) is an electric Golf and trust me, the 991 feels like it's wired to my nervous system in comparison, steering wise... It's all academic honestly, I recall my 993 of old felt overboosted by the supposedly wonderful hydraulic assist and I did not like that car steering feel that much coming from my unboosted SC... The best steering feel I recall was my 1957 356, talk about a direct link to the road, the steering column would even impale you (free of charge) if you crashed head on... That's feedback right there, right thru your sternum ! Some might extend the complaints to *any and all* power steering systems if you go down that rabbit hole...

The only beef I have with the 991 that I consider valid is the extra long gearbox ratios (and the 7th gear I've learned to ignore)... Maybe that makes sense on the autobahn, but in the States, they really should give us way shorter gearing topping out at 150 or what have you... The car would feel so fast day to day, it'd be like an extra 100 hp !
Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 PM
Ken Harding
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car back today after having the PSP removed with reprogramming by the dealer. It is so much better to me with it gone. I can't understand those who say they don't notice a difference between PSP and regular power steering. Best $168 upgrade so far.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:06 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Unfortunately electric assisted steering is the problem to blame and there’s nothing can be done. I also prefer the steering feedback from my 997.2 over my 991.2; however, Porsche is one of the few ones that does it better when transitioning into electric steering era.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Harding
I got my car back today after having the PSP removed with reprogramming by the dealer. It is so much better to me with it gone. I can't understand those who say they don't notice a difference between PSP and regular power steering. Best $168 upgrade so far.
Nice. For the life of me I can’t even understand why Porsche offers PSP? What demographics are they marketing it to?
Old 08-18-2018, 12:01 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Harding
I had my PSP disabled yesterday too.
The steering now feels much better at speeds up to ~30mph: less artificial and better weighted.
It's definitely a worthy improvement in terms of overall driving satisfaction.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:54 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
I don't get it either. When the 991 came out that is all you heard/read... I think sometimes magazine reviewers feel that they must latch onto a topic and appear somewhat critical, so that they don't seem too biased toward a manufacturer or too impressionable (?). I mean "the car is perfect" would not make for a great or long article if you are paid by the word ;-) Cue in EVO magazine for instance where readers complain when the GT3 wins car of the year almost every time - yeah but what if it's simply the best, huh? There was a change to electric assist for the 991 -> juicy target right there... Maybe it's flagrant if your other car is a recent GT3 but I've never thought my 991.1 steering felt numb, and I was cross shopping 997/991s back to back to back for a week, the thought never entered my mind. It's a modern car, not a 73RS.

One of my other cars (the beater) is an electric Golf and trust me, the 991 feels like it's wired to my nervous system in comparison, steering wise... It's all academic honestly, I recall my 993 of old felt overboosted by the supposedly wonderful hydraulic assist and I did not like that car steering feel that much coming from my unboosted SC... The best steering feel I recall was my 1957 356, talk about a direct link to the road, the steering column would even impale you (free of charge) if you crashed head on... That's feedback right there, right thru your sternum ! Some might extend the complaints to *any and all* power steering systems if you go down that rabbit hole...

The only beef I have with the 991 that I consider valid is the extra long gearbox ratios (and the 7th gear I've learned to ignore)... Maybe that makes sense on the autobahn, but in the States, they really should give us way shorter gearing topping out at 150 or what have you... The car would feel so fast day to day, it'd be like an extra 100 hp !
Come drive my 8yr old 3-series BMW and its hydraulic steering rack will make the 991.1 feel about as wired to your body as a dead fish. I love my GTS but the steering is a major letdown and removing the PSP to make it heavier will not make it more communicative...
Old 08-18-2018, 09:54 AM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 125 Posts

I just came from a 2016 BMW i8 in my 2018 Carrera 4 GTS.

I’ll never complain about numb steering in a Porsche.

BMW is the master of numb steering.

Since most manufacturers are using electric steering, you are going to experience a slight disconnect from the road. However, Porsche is probably the very best at making their system feel right.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:12 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Been a long time BMW owner. From the E30 days to E46 to E90 and love the steering. It communicates to you and you know exactly the threshold while tossing your car around. The current F30 (electric steering) is a complete dude. Its loose and gives no feedback at all.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:33 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Drive around in a Camry for a few days then hop back into the 911.

It'll feel perfect by then.
Drive around in a Cadillac for a few days.....Seriously, I do agree. I have an 83SC no power steering and you really feel connected to the road feeling every crack, pebble, and bump of the road. It is like driving a go cart.

Abe

Last edited by abe; 08-20-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:17 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Been a long time BMW owner. From the E30 days to E46 to E90 and love the steering. It communicates to you and you know exactly the threshold while tossing your car around. The current F30 (electric steering) is a complete dude. Its loose and gives no feedback at all.
I meant the F80, not F30.

Quick Reply: Numb Steering?