Sponsored by:

New old guy with question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:49 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

My 2cent;
1) Get CPO, ie Certified Porsche, from dealer as this will give you 2 more years and unlimited miles warranty. the miles isn't that important for you but extended warranty reduces hassle of repairs.
2) Make sure car is optioned with PASM, Porsche Adjustable Suspension Management, then you can adjust firmness on the suspension.
3) Regarding S or GTS, either are great. I agree with you choice for 3.0TT, it is a gem of an engine and great low end torque for city driving

One options:
http://nationalpreownedporsche.com/i...+White+1948693

no chalk at the dealers
Old 07-31-2018, 03:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Having had a total of five Corvettes over the years (my last was a C6), I can assure you that you'll find the 911 a significant step up. The electronics aren't nearly as wiz-bang and I do miss the HUD, but everything else make up for it and then some.

Part of this is to be sure to enjoy the hunt. Take a few test drives. Get eyes on all of the different possible options.

I agree that you'll probably find an S completely satisfying and a little easier on the wallet. The GTS's are impressive though... if you really want that wider body and/or the bit of extra performance and prestige. I'm quite happy with my S.

I spent a while trying to see if I could web search up a good photo of the combination you are considering with no luck (as I'm sure you have as well). But there are some chalk cab photos and some Bordeaux interior photos. I even tried Photoshopping one up but it wasn't working out very well. You'll just have to add them up in your head I'm afraid.

Best of luck with the hunt and acquisition! It seems like your combo will be fairly unique and tasteful at the same time.Remember that in the 911 world finding or building the right car doesn't go nearly as quickly as it does with most other cars, so be sure to be patient and get what you want.... just in case this one IS the last one.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
Sorry, but I'm in the minority, I don't like red cars. I borrowed this pic from a market place ad. If I had $180k to spend on a car this would be gone. Tell me this isn't the nuts. Oh yah, it's a Turbo with black interior. I'd still own it. I wish him GLWS.

Wow, that looks great.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:27 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey GEIGER, this car is not Chalk and not Bordeaux, but platinum silver is a neat and somewhat unusual color and I thought in the same ballpark as chalk. Oh, and it's NA not a turbo. Just an fyi.

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/330130
Old 07-31-2018, 04:39 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Hello, I didn't see a specific place for introductions so here I am. I registered about a year and a half ago, but first post. I'm very close to 75 and interested in buying my first Porsche 911. I currently own a '16 SL MB. I just can't get a Cabriolet out of my thoughts. I'm thinking '17/'18 S or GTS, I'd consider older but really like the idea of the 3.0 L TT engine. I'd really like to see a Chalk Cab with black top and Bordeaux interior. Anyone have pics of this combo? Thanks in advance.
Hey New Old guy
Welcome form another old guy. I am on Porsche #13 so I became a convert years ago. The car you are describing sounds perefct especially if its what you want. Get out and drive the new 991.2 3.0. Its a beautiful car and it may be possible for you to find one you like now rather than waiting. If you like the TT type cars you may want to look at a Porsche TT or TTS that is "mildly used" as they are the pinnacle of the Porsche line up and great cars to own in cab form. Whatever you choose I am sure you will fall in love and it may not be the last Porsche you own. Welcome to the forum as a posting member.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:59 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

GK, welcome. I recently came from a 09 Audi S5 to a 2013 CS. I'm 74, 200 lbs.and 6'2" and have some difficulty getting in and out, but once your in, this car is amazing !! With 18 way seats I don't have any comfort problems. The 3.8 NA sound is truly "intoxicating".
Old 07-31-2018, 05:38 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Cab. Chalk. Red/Black interior.
https://timetogetin.com/1st-times (video: "From on-the-wall to in-the-garage")

Targa. Chalk. Red/Black interior.

Cab. Chalk, but Black interior.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:13 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

marinb, thanks for going to all that trouble. Great videos. Byers is a little over 100 miles from me, not the closest but maybe the largest.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:21 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

Not to worry about power if you find an S or 4S you like. The aftermarket X51 Power Kit can be added at reasonable cost by your dealer's service department to give you the exact same power plant as the GTS. I bought a new Carrera S coupe 5 weeks ago, and found the X51 Power Kit on sale at two different online Porsche parts stores. My local dealer service Mgr was able to match both the best Porsche parts price and dealer installation price I could find. The X51 Power Kit is an available option on new Carrera S on the PCNA configurator.
I'm 73 and have owned Porsches since 1970. This one is my 10th, but only my second 911.
The X51/GTS versus the S engine curves :

Old 07-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Yes, but I prefer a convertible.

I realize there are many choices, but as I stated in my post I'm interested in an S or GTS Cabriolet. Thanks to both for your replies.
Welcome. Order what you like and don't look back. I see you are in FL so if you need a lead or two on ordering let me know and I can help you out since I recently talked to just about every dealer in the state.

Quick Reply: New old guy with question