Sponsored by:

my dilemma: get a C4S or GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my dilemma: get a C4S or GT4?

I posted back last month about getting a loaded C2S or getting a higher-mile GTS. I didn't come to a decision on either. After looking at cars visually, I like the wider hips of the C4S over the C2S. My husband just suggested that we also check out GT4 models: there are a LOT for sale here on the forums. Having driven a Cayman S and an old-school 2007 GT3, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of what that car is all about. I have driven the current Spyder and it was simply stunning.

Our budget is $90,000. I want an enthusiasts' build: manual, performance options, great color, and either the ducktail or Aerokit package. If I go with a 991 C4S, I can get a nice, new-ish 2014-2015 for the mid 70's to mid 80's.

My conundrums are as follows:

1) Does the GT4 have the "presence" of a 911? Let's face it: it is fun to drive a car that gets noticed. They drive differently, yes, but both equally well. If it comes down to it, I want the car that is most striking visually.
2) I sometimes take the boys to school, and the GT4 eliminates that option. They love going to school in a fun car, and who can blame them? Most moms are assigned to minivan or SUV duty.

I have been told by certain local enthusiasts that any non-GT car simply isn't worthy of the Porsche badge; they know how I drive and how I like my cars to feel. I typically dive right in and upgrade the suspension on any car I get.

So, let's hear it. Would you vote for a GT4 (Carmine Red and Sapphire Blue are my 2 top choices), or a C4S? My hope is that whatever we get, it will be a car that we can put miles on and not lose too much money on over the years. I will put 8-10,000 miles on it per year.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:41 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Listen to your gut, those "certain local enthusiasts" sound like clowns to me. Go back and tell them anything short of a Carrera GT or 918 simply isn't worthy of a Porsche badge.

I'd choose the GT4 personally. Sounds like the C4S is for you. Do it for the kids. Don't end up buying a cheesy Macan or something.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:51 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Everybody is going to have an opinion here. Mine is to get the GT4. It will get you noticed with the wing and side vents. It's a head turner. If you are only sometimes taking your boys to school, make two trips. I'm sure they would LOVE to be dropped off in a GT4. Boys like wings and so will their friends.

Agree with previous poster re: "certain local enthusiast". Ugh.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:59 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT

I have been told by certain local enthusiasts that any non-GT car simply isn't worthy of the Porsche badge; they know how I drive and how I like my cars to feel. I typically dive right in and upgrade the suspension on any car I get.
As the members before me posted, don't listen to these guys. They are, in my opinion, wrong and trying to make a statement versus actually giving good advice. Based on what you wrote I think a C4S is in your future. More because you need the back seats more than anything else. I have a Cayman R that is a dedicated track rat and set up similar to a GT4 and I no longer even want to DD that car. I have a 911T on order to fill in on DD duties. I think the GT4 is more of a track oriented car so if you dont plan on tracking then that's even more reason to get the C4S. A few mods of the C4S and it will be more than enough for primarily street use. The C4S has great presence as well so you cant go wrong there either. Good luck with your decision!!
Old 07-23-2018, 06:07 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Porsche doesn't make any bad cars, so it's just a matter of preference and needs. IMHO, if you have kids, I'd get the C4S. I bought a GTS cab so I could take the kids with me. I was tired of having two seaters that I was driving alone 99% of the time, and not have anything to share with the family. I have a GT3 coming, which I'll drive whenever I get a chance to, but if I could have only one car I would have one I could share with the family.

Have you tried a GT4, by the way? I've talked to several people that used to own one, and their number one complaint was lack of down low power and tall gearing. They said it wasn't a fun car unless you really pushed it, so they ended up selling them. It was the same complaint across the board, so make sure you try one. I haven't driven one, so I can't chime in, just relaying what I've heard.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:19 PM
twaite01
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Both are worthy Porsches

I have a C4S which I love. I do have to admit that the GT4 does have presence. It is a much more racy looking car which is actually what I love about my C4S, it’s beautiful but subdued. Real world, I like the C4S, it’s our road trip car, fun car for nights and weekends, and the occasional track car. If I was doing more track days maybe I would tip toward the GT4 more.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Agree with the comments about the local enthusiasts: I generally find myself tuning out of any conversation that gets into what some individual believes is worthy of the Porsche crest or not. If Porsche thought it was…

Between your two options, C4S lowered on a more sporting wheel/tire package might be the right call. Think Forgeline, BBS FI-R, or similar on some R-compound tires. You get the 2+2 utility, timeless design, and performance of a 911, while the lowering/wheels/tires will give it shades of sports purposes that makes a 911R or GT3 look great. If you can find a C4S with X51—or a GTS with high miles—even better.

I had a GT4 and daily drove it for 15,000 miles and nearly two years. It was bulletproof and every drive had a sense of occasion. The GT4 is low, loud, and quite firm. None of those things bothered me much, but I needed back seats and so it was time for a 911. I have rarely missed the GT4, something I didn't count on. It did turn a lot of heads—the GT4 is almost more Ferrari-ish than Porsche-ish in that last regard. Something about its optics with the front bumper, rear wing, ride height, and stuffed fenders push it into the exotic realm. The attention (largely) counted as a downside in my book, but YMMV. It is fun to see people energized by a cool car, and I remember when I would see something neat and it made me smile as a boy. Heck, that still happens when I see a cool car—and someone has to drive those cars. As for my better half, she wasn't a fan of the GT4 because it was a "bit much" to live with—this from a driver who prefers manual transmissions and loved her last Porsche, a Boxster.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:54 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Well...You could get the GT4, drive it for 6 months and sell it and probably lose very little if any (sales tax) once you sell it, assuming you still have the 911 itch, get one then
Old 07-23-2018, 06:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I've talked to several people that used to own one, and their number one complaint was lack of down low power and tall gearing. They said it wasn't a fun car unless you really pushed it, so they ended up selling them. It was the same complaint across the board, so make sure you try one. I haven't driven one, so I can't chime in, just relaying what I've heard.
^ Interesting commentary. GT4 was superb, but the gearing was a bummer (1-4 too tall for back roads, 6th too short for freeway cruising) and the 3.8 had an annoying flat spot from 3500~ to 5500~ rpm on CA 91 gas. Not sure I would have sold the car as a result, as the car was otherwise fantastic and there are (and will be) fixes for these items. Not sure I would say the GT4 wasn't fun unless you really pushed it—but that's definitely where it shined most brightly. In the end, I found the car a bit one-dimensional and also lacking in terms of "challenge" (unless you really pushed it). As a friend who had one and sold his put it, the GT4 in stock form felt like a GREAT first through third date.

It will be interesting to see how the next GT4 is...I can already see where the gulf might end up being similar to the leap from 996.1 GT3 to 996.2 GT3.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

It sounds to me like a Carrera GTS with a aerokit is the perfect car for you. Any luck finding anything interesting in your price range there? Might be worth a look.

My wife was also anti-minivan when my kids were younger, but we really needed the utility of an SUV. This was right around 2005 or 2006. When she told me which SUV she wanted, I nearly fell on the floor. She wanted a HUMMER. That's what she got. Bright red, with lots of chrome. That vehicle was a head turner in the school parking lot.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Here's an example that's a little bit of a stretch of your budget, but it might be worth it for the right car.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911

Old 07-23-2018, 07:40 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

SPASM-equipped C4S with ducktail or full cup aerokit will definitely turn heads and scratch itches that lean toward the exotic. .

With Sport options it will be plenty sharp and raucous for the street while keeping decent ride quality and extra room/seats. Kids will love it! Even in grey it turns heads.

I learned with my 997 GT3 that Gt cars are awesome at 80% track, 20% street, but can grate on you if your ratios are other way around.

Another downside to Gt4 - and why I passed on it - is no sun/moonroof and small rear storage. Motoring with the sunroof and windows open is key to my enjoyment.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:03 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Everything you said sounds like you want/ need the C4S.

I'd keep in mind that the back seats of a 911 are really small and only good for small kids. They're not practical at all depending on the kids' age.

The GT4/ 981 platform is considerably more nimble, a better MT, louder, less comfortable, and firmer suspension. Its more of a fun / track car, while a 991.1 is more of a GT car. Comparing mid-engine and RWD to rear engine AWD is quite different...haven driven both plenty, I'd pick the 911 AWD any day.

I'd find a 911 with SPASM instead of buying one with standard suspension and modding it.

For 90k, you could find a 2017 991.2 C4. Better car by all measures than a 991.1 C4S, which sounds better.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't get it......last month you posted about getting the loaded C2S or higher-mile GTS. This month it's two totally different cars. What are you waiting for?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

If you get the 911 C4S do you think will you ever be wishing you had gotten a GT4 instead? The rear view on that C4 wide-butt is one of the sexiest in all of motorsport. My grandkids beg for rides in my GTS whenever they come over and I can accommodate them and another adult in the front seat. Had an 2008 RS60 Spyder (Boxter S special edition) previously and my wife and I both like the additional room and back seats. You are still up apx 65HP over a GT4 and personally I think the big spoiler is a little too boy-racer for a street car.

Quick Reply: my dilemma: get a C4S or GT4?