Sponsored by:

New old guy with question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:18 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Default New old guy with question

Hello, I didn't see a specific place for introductions so here I am. I registered about a year and a half ago, but first post. I'm very close to 75 and interested in buying my first Porsche 911. I currently own a '16 SL MB. I just can't get a Cabriolet out of my thoughts. I'm thinking '17/'18 S or GTS, I'd consider older but really like the idea of the 3.0 L TT engine. I'd really like to see a Chalk Cab with black top and Bordeaux interior. Anyone have pics of this combo? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:47 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Have you looked at a targa?
Old 07-30-2018, 09:55 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There are like 27 variations of the 911, so maybe the best thing to do is play with the build configure to narrow it down a bit. Go new or newer, its nice to have a warrantee..esp on a 911 .The 992 model will be out later this year, so you could get a new model next year. https://www.porsche.com/usa/modelsta...modelrange=911

and welcome to Rennlist!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:28 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arter
Have you looked at a targa?
Yes, but I prefer a convertible.
Originally Posted by BK77
There are like 27 variations of the 911, so maybe the best thing to do is play with the build configure to narrow it down a bit. Go new or newer, its nice to have a warrantee..esp on a 911 .The 992 model will be out later this year, so you could get a new model next year. https://www.porsche.com/usa/modelsta...modelrange=911

and welcome to Rennlist!
I realize there are many choices, but as I stated in my post I'm interested in an S or GTS Cabriolet. Thanks to both for your replies.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:46 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I think chalk with the Bordeaux/black two tone interior would look great! That way you don’t have glare off the dashboard.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:49 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Hey GK- just throwing this out there- have you spent much time in a 911? I've driven my share of SLs, and owned a '14 E550 cabriolet for a few years. I can tell you the Porsche is absolutely nothing like the Mercedes. They are both great cars, but completely different products. Personally, I was shocked at the difference and it took me a while to appreciate the 911 over my Mercedes.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:00 AM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It's my understanding that you'll have a long wait for a 992 in a Cab and/or GTS. Therefore, you'll be looking at a 991. I'm on my third Porsche, the first two were cabs and this one is a Targa. You can't go wrong with either; the Cab is what you want and it should be what you get. Therefore, you have two options. Find a car in dealer inventory or order one. Since I'm an instant gratification guy, I found one in dealer inventory which had everything I wanted plus a couple of things I didn't, but was willing to take them. I'm really happy I did it this way since I wasn't big on FAL, but am now delighted I got it, not so much on the Aluminum looking gas cap, but at least it was only $160 LOL. The above suggestions about specing out a car and coming for demo rides is spot on. After doing both you may change your mind on several options. When you spec a car out, do it two ways; one as an S and another as a GTS, you may find several items included in the GTS package which will either make it less expensive than the S or additional items you just get with it (also it has more HP).

Sorry to ramble, but good luck in your search and don't hesitate to ask the group here about the options. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, everyone has there own idea of a perfect car.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:26 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Good luck on your search. Cabs are great and chalk over black/red should look nice although finding one in that color combo will be a challenge.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:37 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I can tell you the Porsche is absolutely nothing like the Mercedes. They are both great cars, but completely different products. Personally, I was shocked at the difference and it took me a while to appreciate the 911 over my Mercedes.
/\ This applies to me... I knew that my 991 was going to be different from my traded-in AMG E63, but it took me a little while to appreciate the new car and not pine for my old luxury musclecar. I have a Tacoma truck as a second vehicle, and before my 991, my truck rode harsher than my "fun car." After trading the AMG in for the 991, now my truck provides the more "plush" ride of my two cars. With the tires I prefer, a nice alignment, and more seat time, I am now in awe of the 991 road feel, and of course the 991 canyon carving is on another level, but I do wish I had garage space for something like the AMG again as a commuter.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:13 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmm...75yo..... Sounds like a great color combo. I am 59 and I too came from Mercedes cars. I only wish the Porsche 911s would have a hydraulic system lifting the car an additional 12 inches like the RangeRover has so that it is easier to get in out.
Seriously ....go out there and test drive lots of times before committing.....wish my dad told me that before I got married.
Abe
Old 07-31-2018, 09:53 AM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies. Just wanted everyone to know that this car isn't my DD, I have 2 others in the garage. Although this car only gets driven 2-3 times a month it has 11k miles on it in a little over 2 years time. When we do get to take it out it's usually 100 to 300 mile ride. I haven't even been in a 911 of any variant. I just assumed it would feel a lot like my SL. A test drive would be a must before proceeding. Every time I see a newer 911 go by I strain to get a good look. I also love the sound and the way the PDK shifts. Before the SL I owned a C-7 Vette drop top for two years and loved it but always lusted for the SL. So when the opportunity arose I did it. At my age every car I buy is supposed to be the last one but then something happens.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:43 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
Thanks for all the replies. Just wanted everyone to know that this car isn't my DD, I have 2 others in the garage. Although this car only gets driven 2-3 times a month it has 11k miles on it in a little over 2 years time. When we do get to take it out it's usually 100 to 300 mile ride. I haven't even been in a 911 of any variant. I just assumed it would feel a lot like my SL. A test drive would be a must before proceeding. Every time I see a newer 911 go by I strain to get a good look. I also love the sound and the way the PDK shifts. Before the SL I owned a C-7 Vette drop top for two years and loved it but always lusted for the SL. So when the opportunity arose I did it. At my age every car I buy is supposed to be the last one but then something happens.
I love your attitude about age, and a good many of us are getting up there and aren’t afraid to make changes try new and relevant things. I may be one of the younger ones on here at 58 😆. Enjoy the 911!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:39 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
Hello, I didn't see a specific place for introductions so here I am. I registered about a year and a half ago, but first post. I'm very close to 75 and interested in buying my first Porsche 911. I currently own a '16 SL MB. I just can't get a Cabriolet out of my thoughts. I'm thinking '17/'18 S or GTS, I'd consider older but really like the idea of the 3.0 L TT engine. I'd really like to see a Chalk Cab with black top and Bordeaux interior. Anyone have pics of this combo? Thanks in advance.
Welcome!

You will LOVE the 911, is a very different car compared to the SL. I grew up with Mercedes in the family, parents had the big monster V8 560sec, 380SL etc etc. The Chalk Cab with a black top will look nice.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:40 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The '16 SL is a stylish car. When you talk about style in a Porsche, you, invariably, end up talking about the Porsche 4 variant with it's broad rear hips. So, you might want to be sure you look at that aspect of a candidate.
In a pure sports car, like the Porsche, sporty colors are more important than stylish colors. Especially true for Ragtops. Greys, blacks, whites tend to suppress the visually exciting nature of the car.. Which is why I recommend you consider reversing your color choices. That is, make the exterior red and the interior chalk. Perhaps, if your better half will allow it, a yellow.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fuddman
. Which is why I recommend you consider reversing your color choices. That is, make the exterior red and the interior chalk. Perhaps, if your better half will allow it, a yellow.
Sorry, but I'm in the minority, I don't like red cars. I borrowed this pic from a market place ad. If I had $180k to spend on a car this would be gone. Tell me this isn't the nuts. Oh yah, it's a Turbo with black interior. I'd still own it. I wish him GLWS.

Quick Reply: New old guy with question