Sponsored by:

Carrera T Driving Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:26 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Would you mind answering, have you driven a T or not?

BTW the price of my T is well into GTS territory. But I wanted the T, not the GTS, or the S, or the GT3. Yes, a friend asked me if I wanted his allocation and turned it down. I'm not a flipper and had no intention of daily driving a GT3. I DD my Carrera T and love it.

The reason you buy a T are:

A) Want the least amount of turbo lag and a more linear acceleration. -

B) Prefer a manual transmission

C) Want options not available on the Base (RAS, SPASM, PTV, Limited Slip Diff, LWB, etc)

D) Want the performance options bundled: Sport Chrono, PSE, LSD, PTV, SPASM)

E) Prefer a unique styling inside and out (Carrera T-Interior, external Agate Gray parts, front lip spoiler, Sport Mirrors, Light Weight Glass as it is noticeably clearer, etc).

F) Want a more special vehicle, and looking at VIN numbers it seems like the T will be more rare than the GT3 and even GT2RS!

G) Want the most fun 911 around!
From my perspective its a base with well selected options - the base is a fantastic car in it own right - but to say the T is some how super special doesn't really stack up (spasm and rear steering are the items that make it "better" than the base from a handling point of view - thats if you option rear steering).

In many respects, the T - base relationship is akin to the S - GTS relationship without the added torque and power.

I have the GTS with all the performance fruit and as much as I can appreciate the T - I wouldn't consider replacing it with the T (e.g. bigger brake rotors, six pot callipers, SC, PTV-E, PDCC, RAS, SPASM, 550Nm and 450HP etc). The power and torque difference between the base and GTS is very significant and very noticeable when running out to the redline.

Fun, they're all fun

Last edited by groundhog; 07-18-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by blurum
Am I bitten badly by the Porsche bug - hell ya. Perhaps a C4S in the distant future mated with a base Macan , negating a need for the Golf R. Till than I will drive this base C2S into the ground !
Peace
You definitely don't want a base Macan, it's way too underpowered. The tiny engine models are too slow and too overpriced for what they are, and in my mind you're better off buying a cheaper but more powerful and better equipped non-Porsche than paying so much extra just for the brand and getting a much lesser car.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:23 AM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
I think the 'less weight and sound insulation' is just a marketing gimmick. It doesn't sound any different than any different than a base, S, or GTS with PSE inside and is fundamentally the same experience, but slightly better handling than the base (lower/ firmer suspension, standard 20 inch wheels, and optional rear steering) and slightly worse than S/GTS (loaded with the same + more options).
No I haven't driven a T.
It is hilarious if I put it your comments way. You must be watching YouTube all day and believe every word they say.

Now that I own a C4S PDK, I actually thinking "what if I had a GTS or TTS or GT3" and zero concerns about turbo lag because there isn't any.
If you have driven 991.1 generation, you will notice the lag.

Buying a T because you want the characteristics of a NA engine that's actually twin turbo is silly in my mind....it's a turbo engine and once you drive it enough you'll be wanting more boost.
Not many people here believe more power is always better. This is a Porsche forum.

If you want an NA engine and don't like turbos...get the 991.1...or GT3 if you can afford it and lucky enough to get an allocation.
Believe it or not, there are people on this planet wants to personalize their own car, wait for few month and see it coming from 3D rendering to reality. It is just a good feeling.
991.1 are only available as used; GT3 is not viable as a daily for someone; People still want an engine that retains some of the NA character; People want something more special like LWBS. What do they do? Carrera T it is.

The base/T and S have the same "linear acceleration," but in the S it just happens slightly faster and probably insignificantly so. The S is superior to a base not because of power but it has much better brakes, bigger wheels, PDCC, SPASM, rear steering, and AWD...if you're buying an S without that, it's pointless...might as well get a base car.
PDCC makes the car felt unreal and disconnected a bit. I would only get it if I'm buying a cab/Targa. AWD takes away lots of fun as well.
Do they make the car faster? Yes. Do they make the car more fun to drive? For me, no.
Saying if you don't have these, then it's pointless is really....pointless.

And yes buying a Porsche has plenty to do with ego...people see you in a base car or T with no options (standard interior and no options), they know that you couldn't afford an S or GTS whether you like it or not.
Absolutely. I'm not ashamed to admit that I couldn't afford an S unless I bought CPO.
Seriously? Are you coming from bimmerpost?
How many people here buy 911 because they can 'ONLY' afford a 911? Most people here simply buy and drive the car they like.
Maybe it is just me, but if $10-20k will change your decision on buying a $100K+ car, you should not buy it.

You might have worked hard to earn your first 911 at a relatively young age. Good for you.
But your comments made me feel you are clueless on cars, people, and money.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:32 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
How many people here buy 911 because they can 'ONLY' afford a 911? Most people here simply buy and drive the car they like.
Maybe it is just me, but if $10-20k will change your decision on buying a $100K+ car, you should not buy it.

You might have worked hard to earn your first 911 at a relatively young age. Good for you.
Now THAT is an understatement!

Well said, I got the very same impression.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:06 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Agreed...both cars will put you to jail quickly. I don't speed on public roads, but I do use 50-75%+ throttle from all stops..
Stop light races - cool.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Agree, and MINTHRAL reminds me of the guy that posted on the Cayman forum about 1-2 years ago on how to fit 3 people in it - 2 pages later at it was about him picking up 2 girls at the club to take home. Pointless
Old 07-18-2018, 01:08 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by ronht
Now THAT is an understatement!
Well said, I got the very same impression.
Originally Posted by tgavem
Agree, and MINTHRAL reminds me of the guy that posted on the Cayman forum about 1-2 years ago on how to fit 3 people in it - 2 pages later at it was about him picking up 2 girls at the club to take home. Pointless

Old 07-18-2018, 01:41 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
You definitely don't want a base Macan, it's way too underpowered. The tiny engine models are too slow and too overpriced for what they are, and in my mind you're better off buying a cheaper but more powerful and better equipped non-Porsche than paying so much extra just for the brand and getting a much lesser car.
agreed on base Macan - I had a loaner once, although if that was the first one I drove it was not too bad. The fact I have a Macan S I am spoiled and I am used to way extra grunt and pulling power.
Back to the original thread - I love the T concept and if I had few more years of 911 under me I would have done the T. No right car here , they are all good in their context. If I could only own one Porsche as a DD I would have picked AWD.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

The T is a great car for someone who likes manual transmissions because it has shorter gears (which ironically make it faster), but saying there is a substantial difference in driving a T and that it's a really special car "that is more driver focused" than a base model is just eating up marketing IMHO. You'd have just as much fun in a (slower) base stripped out car if you aren't concerned about going fast. In the same logic, might as well get a Miata. Even a convertible is a much more raw experience.

You would need to get behind the wheel of one to really have a leg to stand on here

I drove a base 991.2 manual with PSE back to back on the same roads as the T. There were huge differences in driving engagement, performance, noise, and fun. It was a nice car but coming from my 981CS it was too refined.

Porsche did a lot of tweaks to the T that just plainly add up to something special for manual trans lovers.

I also drove an S with PDK, PSE, and SC, it was faster but less engaging and had more turbo lag.

To me, after driving a bunch of cars the T or GTS were the only options for me. If the T did not come along I would have probably ordered a GTS.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:03 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

ClassJ, I agree with your assessment.
I was looking to replace my GT3 because I was doing less track days and I wanted something to drive on a regular basis as the 996 is not a comfortable runabout car. I also wanted to simplify, ie get rid of trailer, and sell all track bits and pieces. I desire was to buy a 991.2 GT3 but with the cost, my plan for use, hassle with center locks etc it became less appealing.
The T offer a unique built with light weigh glass, nylon door straps, LWB etc but more importantly driver focused upgrades like shorter gearing and shorter shifter, Mechnical LSD with the manual etc. The shorter gearing combined with the torque of this engine, it is perfect for DD and it will also be better on the track. I think it is better gear box - engine combination vs a GT4. Why, GT4 2nd gear goes to 80+ mph and has a dead spot in the middle. The T pulls hard from 2-2500 rpm and all the way to max. The smaller turbos also make it rev very fast. My 996 GT3 I had to drive above 4K rpm to get something out of it.

I plan to take it to track days and with the 5 lugs wheels, smaller pads etc should keep life simple and cheaper. Will it out brake a GT3, no, but if there are BMW M2 race teams out there with 4 piston up front and two pistons in the rear and they are competitive, the T brakes will be more than adequate for the DE I will participate in.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Also, a note on the comment about sending a message to society while driving a Porsche. I think that most here drive a Porsche for the right reasons and for me it has nothing to do with the prestige of the car. I actually dislike the sentiment that society imposes and it has nothing to do with my decision in purchasing my 5th 911. If anything it's a deterrent for me but I cant do anything about how society perceives these cars, or the person who they see behind the wheel.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:20 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Also, a note on the comment about sending a message to society while driving a Porsche. I think that most here drive a Porsche for the right reasons and for me it has nothing to do with the prestige of the car. I actually dislike the sentiment that society imposes and it has nothing to do with my decision in purchasing my 5th 911. If anything it's a deterrent for me but I cant do anything about how society perceives these cars, or the person who they see behind the wheel.
"Porsche huh? So you're making a statement..."

This is what somebody close to me told me after I bought a 911... Unreal. Non car people just don't get it.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

This x10,000.

Not just the bolded part, the whole thing.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:30 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

100000%

I routinely tell my wife that if Honda (or similar) made the Cayman/911, I'd be much happier...
Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
This x10,000.

Not just the bolded part, the whole thing.

SPOT-ON guys.

Quick Reply: Carrera T Driving Review