Sponsored by:

Carrera T Driving Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018 | 08:23 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by minthral

Depends on the crowd you're around.
Agreed. All car guys know what a 911 turbo is. At car shows I've seen people run up to my car then scoff at it immediately because "its not the turbo". Dont care, just funny. Could have bought the turbo anyway, and to be fair I've done the same when walking up to other cars in public.

The T wasn't available when I was shopping for a 991.2. I would have greatly considered one along side a GTS. Would I have started lower than the GTS? Yeah but I'm a tuner. I'd slap on GTS turbos or bigger, and do some exhaust work + tune. Just like that you're on GTS territory or faster with all the unique stuff the T offers. Check that, I'd be on Turbo S territory with a setup like that on the T.

At the end if the day the GTS has more appeal to me in many ways, but the T I still lust after.
Old 07-17-2018 | 08:26 PM
minthral
Pro

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I didnt mean it to be derogatory. Its actually quite true the majoroty of the time, believe it or not. On the other hand there is lots of negativity in your comments regardless of whether you intended it (at least the last 2).
What negativity? Someone telling you bought a T because you couldn't afford an S. Yes that's negativity...truth often is.
Old 07-17-2018 | 08:33 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by tse
Normally I'd disagree with minthral on that point but it definitely applies to this guy. Always in every thread psyching himself out "laughing" at things to show hes definitely not under a category he feels insecure about.

Are you still pretending to be interested in buying a 992? Great contribution to the thread!

tse in every thread feeling self conscious

Old 07-17-2018 | 08:36 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Tiger appears to be absolutely coked out of his mind here...
Old 07-17-2018 | 08:38 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

What negativity? Someone telling you bought a T because you couldn't afford an S. Yes that's negativity...truth often is.
I dont care what anyone says about my car. Honestly. Mainly the part where you assume the only reason people get x is because they couldnt afford y. Also most of my friends had no idea what a T was. Seriously.Theyre just cardiologists. You can put 7 corvettes from the last 5 years in front of them they wouldnt know their *** from their elbow... lol
Old 07-17-2018 | 08:40 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
Normally I'd disagree with minthral on that point but it definitely applies to this guy. Always in every thread psyching himself out "laughing" at things to show hes definitely not under a category he feels insecure about.

Are you still pretending to be interested in buying a 992? Great contribution to the thread!

tse in every thread feeling self conscious

Old 07-17-2018 | 08:54 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

[left]No I haven't driven a T....
We already knew that...

...people see you in a base car or T with no options (standard interior and no options), they know that you couldn't afford an S or GTS whether you like it or not.
Says the guy who bought someone else's used car. LMFAO!
Old 07-17-2018 | 09:12 PM
minthral
Pro

I dont care what anyone says about my car. Honestly. Mainly the part where you assume the only reason people get x is because they couldnt afford y. Also most of my friends had no idea what a T was. Seriously.Theyre just cardiologists. You can put 7 corvettes from the last 5 years in front of them they wouldnt know their *** from their elbow... lol
Assuming people don't know better is quite a bit of negativity...maybe they don't, but why assume that? I am stating a fact that a more expensive/faster Porsche car with more options is more desirable.

The real question is how much are you willing to pay and what do you want...Porsche (and other manufacturers) are willing and ready to supply the product. Want more? Pay more and get more. Want less? Pay less and get less. Want it all, but not willing to pay? Compromise. A loaded T car can cost more than a GTS, but you get more options and less engine...you willingly pay for things you want. It's still a monetary decision. More money = more car. Thinking you paid a lot of money to get less and that's a good thing is really drinking the marketing guy's ****. "Sure let me pay more for car with stripped sound insulation" is insane.

As said many times "to each his own."
Old 07-17-2018 | 09:27 PM
minthral
Pro

Originally Posted by alex_c
We already knew that...

Says the guy who bought someone else's used car. LMFAO!
Absolutely. I'm not ashamed to admit that I couldn't afford an S unless I bought CPO. I would have bought a lessor base car and taken a huge hit on depression the first year. Also the unlimited mile warranty is nice considering I drive 20k+ per year. But I'm 20-30 younger than the typical buyer and driving a loaded 911 C4S. Zero regrets aside from maybe affording a GT3 or TTS. Definitely not looking back wishing I got a T or base car.
Old 07-17-2018 | 09:45 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Some are much more impressed with themselves and what they are driving. Thankfully, there are plenty of people that don’t really care what others think about their decisions.
Old 07-17-2018 | 09:45 PM
blurum
Instructor

Congrats on you new car!!! Pics or it didnt happen
The Carrera is one of the most bad as$ cars on the street. I really feel like the open diff on the Carrera actually makes it more difficult to spin the rear tires and it feels "more stable" (until you start driving like a hooligan). Its going to be an animal with the ECU flash. If you also got the PDK its going to be a laser beam.
Drove over a 1000 local miles the last 2 weeks. Best car I ever owned. Compliments the Macan S nicely. But will still add winters and drive it into the ground as a DD.

New addition - 2017 new Carrera. SC, PDK, PSE, LED lights and heat/vent. seats. Just received a heated MF steering wheel from Suncoast for install. Skene front plate holder and Cobb tune next week.
Old 07-17-2018 | 10:00 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Assuming people don't know better is quite a bit of negativity...maybe they don't, but why assume that? I am stating a fact that a more expensive/faster Porsche car with more options is more desirable.

The real question is how much are you willing to pay and what do you want...Porsche (and other manufacturers) are willing and ready to supply the product. Want more? Pay more and get more. Want less? Pay less and get less. Want it all, but not willing to pay? Compromise. A loaded T car can cost more than a GTS, but you get more options and less engine...you willingly pay for things you want. It's still a monetary decision. More money = more car. Thinking you paid a lot of money to get less and that's a good thing is really drinking the marketing guy's ****. "Sure let me pay more for car with stripped sound insulation" is insane.

As said many times "to each his own."
Ill be the first to admit I interpreted your comment generally, so that makes my original criticism a bit hypocritical.
Second, we are both in our thirties. We are not special. I also thought about the cpo 4s but went for the T despite living in chicago because it seemed fun and i also bought a second car (solely for me) to split my daily driving duties in inclement weather. I actually like the setup, its quite liberating. So despite being the sole breadwinner in a household of 5, and owning 4 cars, yeah i didnt wanna spend 100k on a used 911 unless it was a keeper. Not because Im drinking marketing "****". And I drove every model before i pulled the trigger including 4s, gts, s, base, and turbo before ordering a T without even test driving it. Having a direct comparison to all these other models, i have zero regrets, just like you chief.
If i wanted more power I would just tune the car I have. It wouldnt be the first one, or the last. Fact is, its got enough huevos to get you in jail, quickly and effortlessly as is. Even without the pdk, even without launch control. Your mileage clearly varies and you dont need to explain it further.
Old 07-17-2018 | 10:39 PM
blurum
Instructor

Smile

. And yes buying a Porsche has plenty to do with ego...people see you in a base car or T with no options (standard interior and no options), they know that you couldn't afford an S or GTS whether you like it or not.
People buy Porsches because they make great cars. Like most of us on this forum, regardless of trim. Its a religion I am finding out from all these cool and helpful forum members. Privileged to be here.
So assuming people buying Porsche for their egos is a huge generalization. Why care about the thoughts of people that have nothing better to do than to judge the worth of someone's purchase based on price or affordability? The badge level or that it is used does not matter. Nice folks that matter are not judging us.

I opted NOT to pay 10-20k extra for the T(tempting) or S as I did not value the bigger breaks and turbos, PTV or rear steering options enough. I will be getting plenty more power with my Cobb tune for another 2k. I am happy. I will apply the savings on tuning my Macan S and making my Golf R even more insanely fast. We on this forum are blessed with first world problems and decisions owning Porsches. We all have our car and life priorities.
Its the value one gets from their purchase that matters, not what others think. You will always run into people of questionable character that will be biased against you financially or otherwise. Ignore them. Apologies for being passionate about my base Carrera purchase. It is such a great work of engineering !!

Am I bitten badly by the Porsche bug - hell ya. Perhaps a C4S in the distant future mated with a base Macan , negating a need for the Golf R. Till than I will drive this base C2S into the ground !
Peace
Old 07-18-2018 | 12:18 AM
minthral
Pro

Originally Posted by blurum
People buy Porsches because they make great cars. Like most of us on this forum, regardless of trim. Its a religion I am finding out from all these cool and helpful forum members. Privileged to be here.
So assuming people buying Porsche for their egos is a huge generalization. Why care about the thoughts of people that have nothing better to do than to judge the worth of someone's purchase based on price or affordability? The badge level or that it is used does not matter. Nice folks that matter are not judging us.

I opted NOT to pay 10-20k extra for the T(tempting) or S as I did not value the bigger breaks and turbos, PTV or rear steering options enough. I will be getting plenty more power with my Cobb tune for another 2k. I am happy. I will apply the savings on tuning my Macan S and making my Golf R even more insanely fast. We on this forum are blessed with first world problems and decisions owning Porsches. We all have our car and life priorities.
Its the value one gets from their purchase that matters, not what others think. You will always run into people of questionable character that will be biased against you financially or otherwise. Ignore them. Apologies for being passionate about my base Carrera purchase. It is such a great work of engineering !!

Am I bitten badly by the Porsche bug - hell ya. Perhaps a C4S in the distant future mated with a base Macan , negating a need for the Golf R. Till than I will drive this base C2S into the ground !
Peace
Totally agree. The base car is great and I was definitely going to buy one. As you point out, you're wanting more power and do consider if you had a higher tier model. The question for you and most others is about cost...there is always a more expensive car and you must have a limit/budget.​​​​​​ I personally had a base boxster, which was a great car and was within budget for me during that time, but certainly left me desiring more. Plenty of mods happened, but it taught me to buy the most car you can afford so that you have no regrets.

I'm simply pointing out the fact that exists... car you drive says something about you in society. Just by driving any Porsche you are making a statement to others. The badge does matter even though I personally think it shouldn't. There could (and has been) a whole discussion about this.
Old 07-18-2018 | 12:23 AM
minthral
Pro

Ill be the first to admit I interpreted your comment generally, so that makes my original criticism a bit hypocritical.
Second, we are both in our thirties. We are not special. I also thought about the cpo 4s but went for the T despite living in chicago because it seemed fun and i also bought a second car (solely for me) to split my daily driving duties in inclement weather. I actually like the setup, its quite liberating. So despite being the sole breadwinner in a household of 5, and owning 4 cars, yeah i didnt wanna spend 100k on a used 911 unless it was a keeper. Not because Im drinking marketing "****". And I drove every model before i pulled the trigger including 4s, gts, s, base, and turbo before ordering a T without even test driving it. Having a direct comparison to all these other models, i have zero regrets, just like you chief.
If i wanted more power I would just tune the car I have. It wouldnt be the first one, or the last. Fact is, its got enough huevos to get you in jail, quickly and effortlessly as is. Even without the pdk, even without launch control. Your mileage clearly varies and you dont need to explain it further.
Great. You choice to get a new T and I chose to get a used C4S. Both great cars and both met our budgets. Obviously you want different things than I do... I want AWD, PDK, and many optifor my daily car, but you like the manual and less options.

Agreed...both cars will put you to jail quickly. I don't speed on public roads, but I do use 50-75%+ throttle from all stops..

Quick Reply: Carrera T Driving Review