Old 07-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carrera 4 GTS build

Hi everyone,

I've configured this future build: PKF8EXV0

http://cc.porsche.com/icc_pcna/ccCal...bcode=PKF8EXV0

It's going to be my daily driver all year round in Toronto, Ontario weather.
I am not going to track it at all.
It's my first sports car and of course, my first Porsche.
I plan to keep it for 5-7 years.
The dealers have not given me any appreciable discount off MSRP.

Should I get the tire/rim warranty package?

What do you guys think? I have not yet put any money down and will hopefully commit once an allocation comes up.
All advise/suggestions/comments are welcome. Thank you kindly.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:06 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have one (2018), the allocations are difficult to find in Canada (my dealer had to trade away 3 vehicles to get one for me). Likely you will not see any meaningful discount off MSRP on a new order given this.

Best course would be to be to have them throw in as much as you can (PPF, tint, CTEK battery maintainer, clear sides, mats, etc.).

I opted out of the rim insurance and decided to self fund that. Am going for the prepaid maint however (4years as that also covers the plug change which is a doozy) as that’s a notable saving if you plan to have the dealer service. (don’t need to commit until the first annual service FYI).

I also picked up winter wheel/tires (Turbo S winter package given CLs) and had the dealer discount that as well. Didn’t want to subject the $4500/wheel rims to getting beat up in our winters.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:13 PM
hbear
Racer

On the build, make sure you drive a car with power steering plus first, I don’t care for it and how it lightens the steering load at slow speed (not require and odd feeling to me).

I alsk dont find the LCA all that helpful as the fishbowl is quite good and very easy to see around you. Front lift will depend on how steep your approach’s are in your drives, I didn’t get it and barely scraped a couple of pretty steep ramps (had a depression at the bottom). No issues with any driveway or speed bumps so far (driving head on even).

I personally opted for full leather.....personal preference but it’s significantly nicer inside the cabin with it. I wouldn’t order a car without. I also had my side skirts painted , this looks way better than the stock matte plastic that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also nix the power folding mirrors as you won’t get the sport mirrors when you do that (sport mirrors looks way better)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I would add the PDCC+SPASM. You already have rear steering which you need in order to add this. If you don't add SPASM (20mm lower) then no need for front lift.

Much prefer Turbo S wheels over Carrera S, no charge option.

As hbear said, side skirts painted makes a nice difference. You can leave front and back black.

Standard interior is well, very standard. Have no idea why GTS interior is not standard on 911 GTS but I would tick that box if you are not opting for more leather. Otherwise identical to a base 911.

And finally I would change colour to free black/white/red for 2 reasons. First to finance the above and second I would leave loudest colours to GT3s. If you want loud then yellow is free and I actually prefer to orange.

Happy configuring
Old 07-12-2018, 09:32 PM
hbear
Racer

SPASM is standard on the GTS
oh and the Centerlocks look way better and not that hard to deal with. Problem being getting no credit for “downgrading” to the 5 lugs. Sizeable price difference in the wheel too....
Old 07-12-2018, 10:43 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2018 GTS and would just list a couple things I really like; some may be included with yours due to factory changes.
489 MF Steering Wheel
858 GT Sport Steering Wheel - may come with it.
AZ Leather Interior - I was going to get the Alcantara till I drove a friends car in leather. Did away with the Alcantara and never looked back.
What ever you do you'll really enjoy this car, I didn't expect to be a happy with it as I am.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 PM
hbear
Racer

In Canada I believe the GT sport wheel is MF. I wanted mine without (like the GT cars) but was told MF is standard as well as heated wheel. Now that I use it I’m actually glad the buttons are there.

In honesty I was worried the car wouldn’t live up to the super high expectations I had (also considering they aren’t exactly giving them away)....very pleased there isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t smile when I start it up and go for a drive.

You will LOVE this car!
Old 07-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
SPASM is standard on the GTS
oh and the Centerlocks look way better and not that hard to deal with. Problem being getting no credit for “downgrading” to the 5 lugs. Sizeable price difference in the wheel too....
I see in the marketing materials they do say GTS is standard with PASM sport 10mm lower. Why is there an option for PDCC and another for PDCC incl SPASM (20mm lower)? Its an option for an additional 10mm of lowering?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:00 AM
hbear
Racer

Not from my knowledge. SPASM is standard (20mm lower) except on the Targa and Cabs I think which you can only get PASM (10mm).

There is the option to select PASM instead as well, but SPASM is great and not rough at all with quite a lot of ground clearance from my perspective.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

Thank you for posting everyone - I sincerely appreciate it.

Re: The CL wheels, I prefer the look of the 5 lug Carrera wheels and have been reading about CL wheels being (generally) more difficult to deal with.

One more question: For you owners: Any must have options? or conversely, options you thought you needed but were not used? (I've noted comments about lane change assist, folding mirrors, power steering, front axle lift)

Thank you!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:01 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With all due respect, if that's the build you're going with I'd change the car to a 4S and save yourself a grip of money.

Carrera S wheels... You're paying a hefty price for centerlocks and deleting them. I see the reasoning but it's a double negative.

Power steering plus... Your car will steer like a Lexus RX.

Power folding mirrors...Skip that and get the sport mirrors. They look awesome and you're buying the sporty GTS car in lava orange. They'll flow better and you'll avoid the black plastic bottoms.

LCA I'd remove and go with the painted sides skirts or some other nice touch.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:24 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

GTS interior (otherwise why buy the GTS)
As a DD Lava Orange would be too much for me
Leather dash trim is a nice touch
Since you do not plan to track the car I would do the CL wheels
Old 07-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Stethoscope
Hi everyone,

I've configured this future build: PKF8EXV0

http://cc.porsche.com/icc_pcna/ccCall.do?userID=CA&lang=ca&PARAM=parameter_internet_ca&hookURL=https://www.porsche.com/canada/en/modelstart/all/default.ashx&webcode=PKF8EXV0

It's going to be my daily driver all year round in Toronto, Ontario weather.
I am not going to track it at all.
It's my first sports car and of course, my first Porsche.
I plan to keep it for 5-7 years.
The dealers have not given me any appreciable discount off MSRP.

Should I get the tire/rim warranty package?

What do you guys think? I have not yet put any money down and will hopefully commit once an allocation comes up.
All advise/suggestions/comments are welcome. Thank you kindly.

Great build! I am not sure I would change a thing.

I like PSP and have had it on all three of my 991's - if it is a concern, go test drive one and see how it feels. Nice for parking lot driving. I autocross once a month and never found PSP to be bothersome. It is also one of the only options your dealer can turn on or off with software (for a small fee, of course).

I had folding mirrors on my first 991 (I have owned three) and NEVER used them.

I thought FAL was extraneous. My drive way is the only place I potentially scrape but I either go at an angle slowly to mitigate it.

I didn't want lane assist but some people like it.

I do love PDCC and SPASM. Great ride and keeps the car flat in cornering. I also love ACC for highway traffic but again not a must have (unless you really want it).
Old 07-13-2018, 05:32 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the sports mirrors instead of the folding mirrors, they look much better, and you'll never actually fold the mirrors anyway. Get the GTS interior and leather dash. I would get PDCC as well as RAS, it feels great. I'd keep the LCA, I really like it on my car. I'd also get painted side skirts, the plastic ones look kind of cheap.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:47 PM
Stethoscope
Rennlist Member

I've made several mods to the config (Added CL wheels, painted side skirt, removed Front Axle Lift, Removed folding mirrors)

Re: the interior. I much prefer leather and adding the GTS package is so much money for something I'm just not into. What do you guys think about the interior with a little bit of exterior paint?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Please feel free to post more.

Quick Reply: Carrera 4 GTS build