Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 08:10 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 408 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Starting to toy with the idea of this wing - could you further explain what would constitute properly prepped? Would a competent bodyshop already know what to do, or is there TechArt specific things to do? Anything I should ask the shop when deciding who to use to paint?

Additionally, how difficult is self install? This would be going on a base coupe....
It truly comes down to doing the research for a competent auto body shop that has dealt with aftermarket components before. It is always best to test fit anything prior to painting. Have you already ordered the parts?

In regard to self install, not something we suggest as it can be a bit daunting without some background in these installations.

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 08-13-2020, 12:08 AM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

I've not ordered the parts yet, tbh haven't done anything other than drool as I scroll through threads and do mental gymnastics with my schedule to get it done... FWIW I'm in Central Jersey area if there's a good body shop you've worked with in this area...

Originally Posted by TAGMotorsports
It truly comes down to doing the research for a competent auto body shop that has dealt with aftermarket components before. It is always best to test fit anything prior to painting. Have you already ordered the parts?

In regard to self install, not something we suggest as it can be a bit daunting without some background in these installations.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:26 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 408 Likes on 223 Posts

Got it, unfortunatley I do not have any direct connections with the shops in your area. That said, be sure to let us know when the time comes to order the parts! We will get you set up
Old 05-25-2023, 01:01 AM
wangyixiongw
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
Just wanted to circle back with the information I received directly (and promptly) from TechArt:

“The module that was included with the Rear Spoiler II that you ordered is to prevent the error message from appearing on your dash that something is obstructing the rear spoiler. For the 991.1 models you would use a PIWIS to program the 911 into Cup mode setting to notify the Porsche that there is a fixed spoiler installed. For the 991.2 models that method doesn't work anymore or works briefly but does not stay memorized by the Porsche so TECHART developed that module.“

So in closing, it looks like there isn’t a PIWIS solution and this module is necessary to avoid the spoiler error.

I can corroborate that the dealer programming does not address the spoiler error (my dealer tried this morning to no avail) - note: Porsche Fairfield has been fantastic in helping me with various items like this, I’m very satisfied with them.

So so it looks like I’ll have to install the module once the car is back from getting PPF.

Hope this helps anyone who may run into this question on a 991.2
Is it possible that I just unplug the connect to the spoiler?
Old 05-25-2023, 10:54 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by wangyixiongw
Is it possible that I just unplug the connect to the spoiler?
You will get the dash warning (above certain speed) if you do that because the car will think it still has active aero that isn’t working.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:22 PM
wangyixiongw
AutoX

You will get the dash warning (above certain speed) if you do that because the car will think it still has active aero that isn’t working.
Can you point me where is the motor? The shop in my town couldnt find it. I just want to get the spoiler on first and make sure the motor wont lift the wing when I drive over a certain speed.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:31 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Can you point me where is the motor? The shop in my town couldnt find it. I just want to get the spoiler on first and make sure the motor wont lift the wing when I drive over a certain speed.
Not sure as I didn’t take that approach (and it’s been a few years). Are you installing a Techart wing?
Old 05-25-2023, 06:40 PM
wangyixiongw
AutoX

Not sure as I didn’t take that approach (and it’s been a few years). Are you installing a Techart wing?
Yes I am, but im missing the module part. So I will need to cut the motor first to make sure the wing wont lift
Old 05-25-2023, 06:52 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Yes I am, but im missing the module part. So I will need to cut the motor first to make sure the wing wont lift
If I remember correctly, you actually remove the wing assembly and bend the arms out of the way. So there isn’t a way for it to try and lift. I thought the module was literally just to remove the dash-error. (Again, it’s been a few years..)
Old 06-05-2023, 08:37 PM
911trini
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I called TAG today about ordering a TECHART Rear Spoiler Wing II for my 2017 991.2 and was told that the wing does come with a module. It has to be decoded by the dealer or an Indy shop. Is this true?
Old 06-05-2023, 08:49 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911trini
I called TAG today about ordering a TECHART Rear Spoiler Wing II for my 2017 991.2 and was told that the wing does come with a module. It has to be decoded by the dealer or an Indy shop. Is this true?
Won’t need to be coded. The module tricks the car into thinking it has a functioning oem spoiler.

On the .1s, adding a ducktail required coding but you should be good to go with the Techart on the .2 with the module.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:08 PM
911trini
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Correction: TAG said that I will need to take the car to some who has a PIWIS to recode. TAG also sent this with the install instructions:

44 Recode the vehicle with the PIWIS to fixed rear spoiler.
- Additional menu
- Vehicle data maintenance / scroll to:
- Coding Aerokit cup / on / scroll to:
- Safe
- Return
- Coding rear control unit
- Automatic coding.
THIS IS WHAT THEY SENT TO ME.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:18 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

I DIY’d the Techart typeII wing on my 991.2 and be warned it’s not a simple install. If you want factory looking gaps you you need to do a little shaving here and there. Installing the electronics under the seat is an inconvenience and if doing your self you will need some pin removal tools and a solder iron. Not complicated but time consuming removing the seat, cut open the carpet slot and then splicing the wires between the box and loom.

My biggest complaint is the electronics to fool the car, in my case it was not reliable. I skipped the dealer coding as mentioned above and just installed the box under the seat. That worked for me without any faults for a couple of months. Then I started getting spoiler errors so contacted Techart and they sent me a new box. They were adamant that on a .2 you need both the box and the dealer spoiler adaption. So I got a new box installed in the car and error was gone. Then I took the car to the dealer and got them to run the adaption (it’s in the Techart install manual) and that seemed to work in my case. It’s a nice kit which can be made to look almost OEM fit but fooling the .2 electronics appears to have some bugs.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:30 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Correction: TAG said that I will need to take the car to some who has a PIWIS to recode. TAG also sent this with the install instructions:

44 Recode the vehicle with the PIWIS to fixed rear spoiler.
- Additional menu
- Vehicle data maintenance / scroll to:
- Coding Aerokit cup / on / scroll to:
- Safe
- Return
- Coding rear control unit
- Automatic coding.
THIS IS WHAT THEY SENT TO ME.
I believe you, it just wasn’t my experience when I installed it myself. TBC- it won’t hurt anything to code it that way, but my recollection is that the .2 aerokit doesn’t include a fixed wing spoiler so the coding doesn’t have the same effect as it did with the .1 The .2 raises the oem wing to help feed cool air to the intercoolers; the Techart wing has a fixed scoop that feeds the intercoolers. Since there isn’t an oem equivalent, there isn’t an “automatic coding” solution. Therefore Techart came up with a module that tricks the car.

That said, the final step of the Techart instructions say to use a PIWIS to calibrate the wing. I don’t remember if I had that done or not.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2023, 07:54 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 666 Posts

Bump. Considering this.

Quick Reply: Techart Wing installed on 991.2 GTS with PICS