PCCB

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 02:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Don't believe any 911 Cup cars or track cars ever use PCCB. Never seen them on a Cup car.

What would take rate be on them if they made as much brake dust as the steels?? Seriously?
This is due to regulations and rules. There are no Cup series that allow for ceramic rotors.

So the decision not to run with ceramic rotors has nothing to do with performance and more to do with complying with the rules.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:08 PM
bmclaurin
Instructor

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

What about noise? I’ll track mine maybe once a year just for fun and wouldn’t push he capabilities of the steel brakes much less the PCCB’s. Mine will be street driven and daily at that. Dust is an annoyance but not a deal killer for me. But brake squeal drives me crazy in a daily driver. So which is better for that? Guessing the steel brakes are quieter but would like to hear from those that have actual experience with both.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I've owned 911s with steel brakes and with PCCB. I haven't noticed a significant difference in terms of noise or brake squeal. My PCCBs are completely quiet 99% of the time. There are two hills in my town where there will be a very slight squeal, at certain speeds. It's very unusual.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by bmclaurin
What about noise? I’ll track mine maybe once a year just for fun and wouldn’t push he capabilities of the steel brakes much less the PCCB’s. Mine will be street driven and daily at that. Dust is an annoyance but not a deal killer for me. But brake squeal drives me crazy in a daily driver. So which is better for that? Guessing the steel brakes are quieter but would like to hear from those that have actual experience with both.
I have had both. My steels on my first 991.1S squealed a bit (had that car for two years). I had PCCBs on my second 991.1S and on my current 991.2GTS and they never squealed.

Others may post the opposite but in my experience the PCCBs never squeaked but my steels did. YMMV.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:26 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Overpriced Porsche option and 100% depreciation, but nice.

Have fun:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...91-gt3-16.html
A car is depreciating asset. I don't include cars in my net worth.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:26 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

I carry a set of these guides in the car always. Came in handy two weeks ago when I was out of town and had to have a nail hole patch done at COSTCO in the evening.

Thexton wheel Guide Thexton wheel Guide

Old 07-02-2018, 03:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
A car is depreciating asset. I don't include cars in my net worth.

You asked the question and brought up "cost" ... if you don't care about the $$, order them and move on. What's the hesitation and reason for the thread??

Cars depreciate?? You don't say ... if so wise, you'd read up on the 100's of posts in other threads that answer your questions
Old 07-02-2018, 03:42 PM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by STG
You asked the question and brought up "cost" ...

Cars depreciate?? You don't say ... if so wise, you'd read up on the 100's of posts in other threads that answer your questions
Touched a nerve?

I can see not many people add on PCCB. I had people tell me not to get them. I wanted to know if it was cost or performance.

This thread has made it clear, if you can afford them they are better breaks.

Thanks for sharing in this thread.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
Touched a nerve?

I can see not many people add on PCCB. I had people tell me not to get them. I wanted to know if it was cost or performance.

This thread has made it clear, if you can afford them they are better breaks.

Thanks for sharing in this thread.
No nerve. Just using common sense ..

First of all it's "brakes" ...

Have NEVER heard anyone complain about PCCB other than rocks getting caught in oversized calipers and too small of clearance with wheel barrels.

You don't see them on builds much because of the COST and risk of replacing a rotor. Many don't see the value and they are an option that depreciates 100%. Now for big ballers who don't care, order them and enjoy them. I like them and would order them on a new car.

For street use, pads and rotors will last life of car. Doesn't matter much as most guys don't keep cars long. Bigger concern I'd have is buying an older PCCB pre-owned car.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:52 PM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by STG

Have NEVER heard anyone complain about PCCB other than rocks getting caught in oversized calipers and too small of clearance with wheel barrels.

You don't see them on builds much because of the COST and risk of replacing a rotor. Many don't see the value and they are an option that depreciates 100%. Now for big ballers who don't care, order them and enjoy them. I like them and would order them on a new car.

For street use, pads and rotors will last life of car. Doesn't matter much as most guys don't keep cars long. Bigger concern I'd have is buying an older PCCB pre-owned car.
perfect! thumbs up
Old 07-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

I am of course familiar with that complaint. I will just note that in over 2,000 miles of driving (including on gravel roads!) I have yet to see scoring inside my wheel from a rock like what happened to Flickroll. YMMV. (Rocks and rotors are always a risk, though - this is a point well taken.)

I would only be concerned with buying a used car with PCCBs if it was obvious that it had a lot of track use. If an inspection noted that they were in great condition, I wouldn't worry.

Now a 100k mile car, that might be another thing...but I don't really look at buying (or selling) a car with that many miles.

(I still don't think they depreciate 100 percent, though - they are still a desired option to many.)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard a peep, I mean squeak from my PCCBs. I agree with all the pros mentioned above, and I will add that they also come in handy f you ever find yourself in a mine are bigger than yours contest.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:59 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I have them and love them. For me it is noticeable between Porsche steel brakes. Took me sometime to get used to the PCCB's but now I really like them. I don't track anymore so they will last longer than I will. Have not found a downside.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:37 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 595 Posts

Used to think they were necessary in the standard 991.2 Carrera due to experiences with smelly brakes where a .1 or previous Carreras would not have had smelly brakes. Now seeing some indications that that car and another may have had brakes that simply weren't bedded in—as a T recently stood up to a real pounding with no issue.

So, buy them for performance, immediacy/feel, looks, lack of dust, etc. I am not sure they are needed, but I am sure they are some of the best brakes ever bolted to an automobile. I wouldn't order them on a track car, but I'd order them again on a street car. YMMV...
Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Are the PCCB same across all 911 model ranges or are they different?

Quick Reply: PCCB