Sponsored by:

Girodisc Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:12 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Couple days of around town driving and I'm still very impressed with the new setup, feels much more stable + strong than the stock setup although that was likely a factor of my rear rotors being toast. Did some hard braking exercises earlier and it is a noticeable improvement so I'm very pleased so far. We shall see how the DS2500s where after a couple days of track use/abuse at Calabogie in August though.
would love to hear your feedback
Old 07-15-2018, 12:00 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

appreciate the response. I was rethinking a conversation I had with Mike at Girodisc and think I’m just being a little too nuts. I’ll use up the sebros and try the rears next time. Which group do you track with?
I mostly do Chin these days.. I use to do PCA, PBOC and NASA...but stick with Chin most.y these days.On a 2day event I’ll instruct on Saturday and just drive advanced solo on Sunday usually. However last year I didn’t instruct much like I use to....just a choice of mine. Hope to meet sometime....what group are you running with?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums

I mostly do Chin these days.. I use to do PCA, PBOC and NASA...but stick with Chin most.y these days.On a 2day event I’ll instruct on Saturday and just drive advanced solo on Sunday usually. However last year I didn’t instruct much like I use to....just a choice of mine. Hope to meet sometime....what group are you running with?
i run primarily with NASA. One of my best friends who got me into tracking was an instructor and was tracking an E46 M3. He then started building an e46 spec-series, but decided to take a break after 10
years. I’m thinking of signing up for chin’s Sebring event August 11. I think that’s a one day event. Will you be there? Hope to meet sometime as well.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

i run primarily with NASA. One of my best friends who got me into tracking was an instructor and was tracking an E46 M3. He then started building an e46 spec-series, but decided to take a break after 10
years. I’m thinking of signing up for chin’s Sebring event August 11. I think that’s a one day event. Will you be there? Hope to meet sometime as well.
I won’t be at the Aug 11 event....you will find at a Chin event you have much more driving time. NASA and PBOC events are really about the races they do and they will cut into the DE time in order to keep the racing going. With Chin it’s all just a DE so more driving time.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:47 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Checking in for any updates with those that have installed the Girodisc rotors and how this is working on track. I'm finally about ready to order parts and also wanted to see if anyone knows if the compound on the GT3 pads is actually different from the Carrera S pads? I'm thinking about running stock GT3 pads for both street and track as I'm only going to do 2-3 track days a year (famous last words) and don't want to swap back and forth.

Also, any issues removing the rear rotors with the internal parking brake? They were a major PITA on my GT350 so I'm hoping they are much easier to change on the Porsche. I'm probably going to run the Girodisc on the back as well.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:53 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Also any of you installing CC plates and if so which ones?
Old 08-05-2018, 08:11 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Checking in for any updates with those that have installed the Girodisc rotors and how this is working on track. I'm finally about ready to order parts and also wanted to see if anyone knows if the compound on the GT3 pads is actually different from the Carrera S pads? I'm thinking about running stock GT3 pads for both street and track as I'm only going to do 2-3 track days a year (famous last words) and don't want to swap back and forth.

Also, any issues removing the rear rotors with the internal parking brake? They were a major PITA on my GT350 so I'm hoping they are much easier to change on the Porsche. I'm probably going to run the Girodisc on the back as well.

I have Girodisc rotors on the front and rear, Pagid Yellow pads all the way around, and brand new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's and everything worked flawlessly on the track. I still think the weakness of the 991.1 S is the somewhat spongy initial feel of the brake pedal. I've checked a few other 991.1's and they are all the same. The Porsche mechanic told me this is "normal due to the over boosting of the brakes." Once you get through that subtle dead band the brakes are rock solid. Zero fade. When I changed out the rear rotors I did not have any problem with the rear drum brakes for the parking brake. The fit without adjustment seemed fine. After the job was done the parking brake works fine and all is good. I would just make sure you have the large Phillips screwdriver to take out the two fasteners that hold the rotor to the hub. I have a hand impact driver which helped get them out since they were a bit snug. Next time, I know I will have some of these Phillips screws handy to replace them. I put a dab of anti-seize on them when I put them back in to ensure they are easy to take out next time. Hopefully that's a long ways away.

I didn't move to the GT3 pads...the 911.1S Pagid Yellow pads worked fine. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Thanks. I have a hand impact and it came in handy when I installed some wheel spacers. The brake pedal is a bit spongy and I'm either going to run Endless or Castrol SRF brake fluid to see if that might firm up the pedal a bit.

Anyone else know if the GT3 and C2S brake pads are different compounds?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:05 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

ran 1 track event with girodisc on front and gt3 pads. Worked great. No fade, but am concerned about some type of noise that I’m hearing when I brake at high speed or when brakes get hot. Don’t feel anything in pedal. Just Sounds like grinding but it’s not really grinding, more like as if there is residue on discs, but doesn’t seem to effect braking performance (since I did good times around the track last time). Can’t describe better than that. I’m go try re-bedding them and will report back. Someone in this thread mentioned not to use oem gt3 pads on girodisc cause it leaves a residue. Wonder if this is what he was referring to.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:38 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

I'm not sure how aggressive the GT3 pads are but aggressive race pads can have a grinding sound to them. Hard to believe that a GT3 pad, or any other for that matter, could not be used with Girodisc rotors. They are iron like all the others. Pads typically leave deposits because they aren't bed in properly. Not sure if a GT3 pad needs to be bed but I'm sure it can't hurt.

Still trying to determine the difference in compounds between the GT3 and C2S pads.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:15 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure how aggressive the GT3 pads are but aggressive race pads can have a grinding sound to them. Hard to believe that a GT3 pad, or any other for that matter, could not be used with Girodisc rotors. They are iron like all the others. Pads typically leave deposits because they aren't bed in properly. Not sure if a GT3 pad needs to be bed but I'm sure it can't hurt.

Still trying to determine the difference in compounds between the GT3 and C2S pads.
Further support to the proposition that, perhaps, I need to bed them in properly even after a track event. Wish I could help about compound. I was sold just on bigger surface area of pad
Old 08-06-2018, 01:33 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

@mdrums and @zoiks are you using the stock brake lines in the rear with the 350mm Girodisc rotors? Any caliper clearance issues over the studs?
Old 08-10-2018, 05:21 AM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to the OP and others who have caliper studs and got the A1-032 hats- when you say you did not need longer studs, what stud length did you have initially? I have 85mm all around, and don't see how its possible i won't need longer studs by going from a 340mm to 350mm rotor, regardless of the size/shape of the hat. maybe I misunderstood...

For both the front and rear, when i tighten the caliper into place with a washer, I have maybe 2-3 threads showing... so not much left at all in terms of spacing.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:44 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by First991
to the OP and others who have caliper studs and got the A1-032 hats- when you say you did not need longer studs, what stud length did you have initially? I have 85mm all around, and don't see how its possible i won't need longer studs by going from a 340mm to 350mm rotor, regardless of the size/shape of the hat. maybe I misunderstood...

For both the front and rear, when i tighten the caliper into place with a washer, I have maybe 2-3 threads showing... so not much left at all in terms of spacing.
i have the regular 85 mm tarret studs and only have 350 in the front, but there is still room in the caliper for a larger disc and the smaller hat means you don’t need a space to move out the caliper to accommodate the larger disc.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:47 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 301 Posts

I just purchased Giro's, DS2500s and studs from Clark at Apex. He is telling me the front studs are the same as stock but the rears need to be 97mm. Haven't installed yet though.

Quick Reply: Girodisc Rotors