Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 991.2 - wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:43 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Love my .2 C2. To truly appreciate what all these cars are made of you need to track them. I was stunned by the performance of my car. Whatever or whenever you do next make sure you track it. Trust me it won't be a one off. Best to you on your decision.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Personally speaking I like the effort related to keeping it at the top of that band, feels more like a “sport” and just more involved and rewarding imo. And the sound is so raw and emotive with an X Pipe. One of the reasons the .2 base doesn’t feel much faster to me is because I’ve really gotten used to keeping the .1 in its powerband when necessary/desired, and the .2 making such relatively plentiful power at the low rev ranges renders it almost pointless to (safely) rev out in real world scenarios, so especially mixed with the more docile and less viscious exhaust character, it gives me less sensation. I remember it wasn’t until I looked at the speedo of the first .2 base I drove that I noticed it was picking up speed a bit quicker than my car does.

My 911 isn’t my DD though. So usually when I drive it, I drive it to DRIVE it. Thus why keeping RPM’s up is the main motive/best part. I also have lots of twisty roads around me. Otherwise when I’m in traffic with it, it’s comletely docile and I drive it like a granny. True Jekyll/Hyde.

If I put more miles on my car and drove it more like a normal person does (traffic to work, less twisty roads in my backyard, etc.) with more scenarios where I need to call upon low and mid range power (say, for a quick burst of power to brighten the day but not scream from the top of the hills) I completely get the merit of the 991.2. I just feel that EVERY car now has a boosted low-end torque heavy powerband. It’s kind of lost its novelty to me. But that’s just me. For whatever reason I enjoy more extremes. Either docile or screaming from the top of the hills.

I would love one of each too though.
Doesnt it get old repeating yourself multiple times in each thread? you might as well just post three dots each time because literally everyone knows exactly what youre gonna say
Old 06-19-2018, 11:14 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

We as Porsche drivers and enthusiasts are lucky to have so many great options. I am sure the 991.2 Carrera line is brilliant and a blast to drive but I will always be in the NA camp. It is too bad that Porsche stopped producing naturally aspirated Carreras due to the tightening of emissions standards. I feel lucky to have a naturally aspirated four seater 911 cabriolet in my garage. Those are going to be increasingly hard to find as the years go by. Now, Porsche NA enthusiasts are left to buy used Carreras or go big with the GT3 or GT3-RS which is not necessarily a practical decision if one is looking for a daily driver for under $150,000. I anticipate that the 997 and 991.1 Carreras will be sought after in the years to come, in part because of the glorious flat six NA engine that was perfected by Porsche over some 50 years.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:28 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
We as Porsche drivers and enthusiasts are lucky to have so many great options. I am sure the 991.2 Carrera line is brilliant and a blast to drive but I will always be in the NA camp. It is too bad that Porsche stopped producing naturally aspirated Carreras due to the tightening of emissions standards. I feel lucky to have a naturally aspirated four seater 911 cabriolet in my garage. Those are going to be increasingly hard to find as the years go by. Now, Porsche NA enthusiasts are left to buy used Carreras or go big with the GT3 or GT3-RS which is not necessarily a practical decision if one is looking for a daily driver for under $150,000. I anticipate that the 997 and 991.1 Carreras will be sought after in the years to come, in part because of the glorious flat six NA engine that was perfected by Porsche over some 50 years.
No offense but Porsche could have got along with emission standards using the NA just fine. Random and unrelated example being the Corvette (GM) using a gargantuan engine.

While people like to blame the Chinese and it is partially true that Porsche went with a sub 3000cc engine to avoid taxes/tarrifs, it's not entirely the reason why Porsche went F.I.

How is a brand like Porsche going to keep up with other auto manufactures making quicker and quicker cars using FI when NA flat 6's have their limit? So say they throw in a GT3 motor in the Carrera to keep it NA.. What's the GT3 going to use?

How would it look on Porsche if their beloved Carrera is getting out run by much lesser cars in terms of engineering and price?

The 3.0t is not some emissions/tree loving engine. It's a full performance engine that in nearly every way is better than it's predecessor. Sound is objective. While driving around a 3.8 with PSE and 3.0t with PSE I can't say that from inside the cabin they sound all that different. In fact the 3.0 has grown on me so much I can't unhear the lazy sound of the 3.8... Dare I say that the 3.4 sings better?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:29 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
No offense but Porsche could have got along with emission standards using the NA just fine. Random and unrelated example being the Corvette (GM) using a gargantuan engine.
Except for the one minor detail that a V8 would not fit in the rear end of the 911.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:31 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Except for the one minor detail that a V8 would not fit in the rear end of the 911.
Right.. The point is that GM is chugging along just fine with that V8 in terms of emissions.. You think Porsche can't with their NA flat 6?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Right.. The point is that GM is chugging along just fine with that V8 in terms of emissions.. You think Porsche can't with their NA flat 6?
Isn't that due to the fact that the Corvette shuts down 4 cylinders at cruising speed?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by pfan
Isn't that due to the fact that the Corvette shuts down 4 cylinders at cruising speed?
Yup, also some bogus 2nd gear lockout on manual cars.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

The 911 going FI was more about meeting EU emissions standards (and China), not the U.S.

The largest market (maybe for all practical purposes the "only" market) for the Corvette is the U.S., which has less stringent emissions standards than the EU (or ROW).

So comparing what GM and Porsche (or even VW) needs to do with their engines to meeting emissions standards isn't really a good starting point.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:46 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
True. However, the C7 Z51 I just sold was a 7M and never went into 4 cylinder mode unless in the Eco setting.......which I never used. It would routinely hit 28-29 mpg......the same as my 2017 C2S with PDK.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The 911 going FI was more about meeting EU emissions standards (and China), not the U.S.

The largest market (maybe for all practical purposes the "only" market) for the Corvette is the U.S., which has less stringent emissions standards than the EU (or ROW).

So comparing what GM and Porsche (or even VW) needs to do with their engines to meeting emissions standards isn't really a good starting point.
Okay, yeah not a proper comparison which I stated was irrelevant. You get the point. Porsche could have engineered an NA flat 6 to meet emissions if they wanted to.

Emissions is not the full reason. Re read the post.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:03 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Same, but it was more than the sound. The .2’s that I drove were without a doubt faster, smoother cars, and a much better DD than the .1 for sure, but they felt too refined to me. The base .2 I drove felt like a 911 Audi would make. But I was still really impressed with the cars. If they sounded better, I might have been tempted but there were too many things about the car that I don’t care for. Personal preference stuff though.
Porsche flatly stated that the 3.0 turbo was a move for emissions. Also low displacement to make it China market friendly (amongst other nations that charge for displacement, gas tax, etc.). Being they’re an EU manufacturer, they don’t play by the same rules as GM does with the Vette. Also, to make more power out of an N/A flat six you need more displacement than 3.0, compression and revs. Great for sound, not good for emissions.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 AM
phs0316
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure you understand there are different regulation in U.S and Europe..
Old 06-20-2018, 02:15 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

If Porsche had been so enamored with the FI engine, why didn't they just turbocharge the entire 911 line back in 1974 when they introduced the turbo? Porsche pushed the limits with the flat six NA engine in the 991.1's 3.8 L and in the 991.2's 4.0 L. As others have said in other threads, in order for Porsche to increase the power of the NA engine going forward, it would have to add cylinders - make it a V8 or a V10, for instance - which would be heresy in a 911. Not only would it add weight, it would be even worse from an emissions standpoint. Given the tightening regulations - particularly in the EU - Porsche's hand was forced to dump the NA engine from the Carrera line even though in real-world driving situations, the FI engine is not necessarily any more "green" than its NA counterpart. Fortunately, Porsche has also mastered engineering of the FI flat six since the mid-70's, so it was not hard for them to produce fantastic FI engines for the 991.2 Carrera line. Like it or not, FI is the new standard bearer in the 911, notwithstanding the GT division (and depending on what you read and who you believe, even that may change sooner rather than later).
Old 06-20-2018, 07:13 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Fortunately, Porsche has also mastered engineering of the FI flat six since the mid-70's, so it was not hard for them to produce fantastic FI engines for the 991.2 Carrera line.
True.

The inner me is telling me to get both.

The better half is telling me to sleep on the couch if I do.

Quick Reply: Drove a 991.2 - wow!