991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 991.2 - wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018 | 09:03 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

I’ve never driven a base .1, but have driven a base .2 pdk and own a .1s manual.

i definitely didn’t think the .2 base felt much of any quicker than my .1s. It sounded good imo, but was notably quieter than the .1S. Both with pse.

i would have been happy with either engine personally, both felt great and sounded good.

In the end the reason I didn’t like the .2 base is that you can’t get most of the performance options with it. I wanted pdcc, sport suspension, sport exhaust and aerokit. Now the Carrera t is interesting because you finally can get all the performance options with the base engine.

i am sure the .2S/GTS motors are very strong, but I didn’t feel like the base engine felt overly powerful.

in fact I’d say the better throttle response and sound made the 3.8 n/a engine feel more urgent.

but the base motor feels more like the 3.8L than it does say an S55 from an f8x m3 or something.

i wouldn’t be opposed to picking up a .2 gts in the future at all.

i do like the looks inside and out better on the .2 cars, if equipped with the aero kit / sport design pack
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:17 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Just out of pure curiousity, for the .2 drivers does it bother you that, even though the .2 is objectively better in every way, in every car that sees you the guy mansplains to his girlfriend, “oh that’s the crappy new one with the smaller engine for the Chinese market”?

Does it bother you when she answers "And still, you can't afford to buy one"
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:34 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by alex_c
Does it bother you when she answers "And still, you can't afford to buy one"
Is that before or after she commends his fine-husbandry by selecting a last-of-its-kind model with such excellent resale value?
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:34 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah, PDK alone changes the character drastically. No tracking here either, so some tenths or a few MPH here or there doesn't matter to me much. As long as it feels right (to some, that certainly feels right). Have you driven a base .1 with PDK? If so, how'd the auto aspect affect the characteristic compared to your car? It's nuts to see how many tenths PDK shaves off now, like half a second 1/4 or 0-60 in some instances. Regardless, I still get jealous when I hear an uncorked 911 being manually shifted.
Lol, trying hard aren't we? The time difference is in the launch. The difference is none to negligible in a straight line once moving and the acceleration part once moving and in between shifts may/should favor of the manual. I personally can essentially run same lap times with pdk or manual, but in straight line acceleration the actual feel or "driving characteristics" (once moving) would not be different . . . just a tad quicker pop into new gear with same acceleration force.
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:38 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, trying hard aren't we? The time difference is in the launch. The difference is none to negligible in a straight line once moving and the acceleration part once moving and in between shifts may/should favor of the manual. I personally can essentially run same lap times with pdk or manual, but in straight line acceleration the actual feel or "driving characteristics" (once moving) would not be different . . . just a tad quicker pop into new gear with same acceleration force.
LOL. Talk about "trying hard." I'm sure you're Andretti skills are sound, but no you're not shifting as fast as a PDK. Every shift into a new gear will pull back on a manual. Watch literally any vid of a 911 PDK vs manual, and you'll see considerable ground gained during shifts. And I'm talking pro drivers. But idk, maybe you're the fastest shifter in the world.

And for the record, I wasn’t referring to PDK affecting his take on the .1 vs .2, more so broadly referring to PDK’s affect on a car’s character in general. I feel my same car with PDK builds up speed noticeably quicker than it does driving a manual iteration.
Old 06-21-2018 | 10:25 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by K-A

LOL. Talk about "trying hard." I'm sure you're Andretti skills are sound, but no you're not shifting as fast as a PDK. Every shift into a new gear will pull back on a manual. Watch literally any vid of a 911 PDK vs manual, and you'll see considerable ground gained during shifts. And I'm talking pro drivers. But idk, maybe you're the fastest shifter in the world.

And for the record, I wasn’t referring to PDK affecting his take on the .1 vs .2, more so broadly referring to PDK’s affect on a car’s character in general. I feel my same car with PDK builds up speed noticeably quicker than it does driving a manual iteration.
PDK is like freakin' magic.

Sucker shifts so quickly!
Old 06-21-2018 | 10:30 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hurricane
PDK is like freakin' magic.

Sucker shifts so quickly!
Yes indeed and from what I hear sometimes the shifts disappear altogether.

Like magic...
Old 06-21-2018 | 10:34 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by K-A

Not talking about shifting as fast. That is not where time is gained or lost on a track with pdk with the average driver. I am talking track times on a road course.

As far as straight line, again it’s the launch. The 0-30 times have the difference. That difference typically remains same or lessens to 60 or in 1/4 mile. Nevertheless, when people are talking about the better low end acceleration characteristics of the .2 . . . that is the torque curve of FI versus NA and has zero to do with pdk.

On a race track and in theory, one loses about .2 seconds of acceleration, not time, on the upshift. That is countered by the impact of additional weight on acceleration, braking and cornering. There is not that many upshifts on most race tracks. Actual acceleration between up shifts (what the body feels "driving characteristics") will be same or nominally quicker in the manual.

Last edited by Doug H; 06-21-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2018 | 11:32 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug H

Not talking about shifting as fast. That is not where time is gained or lost on a track with pdk with the average driver. I am talking track times on a road course.

As far as straight line, again it’s the launch. The 0-30 times have the difference. That difference typically remains same or lessens to 60 or in 1/4 mile. Nevertheless, when people are talking about the better low end acceleration characteristics of the .2 . . . that is the torque curve of FI versus NA and has zero to do with pdk.

On a race track and in theory, one loses about .2 seconds of acceleration, not time, on the upshift. That is countered by the impact of additional weight on acceleration, braking and cornering. There is not that many upshifts on most race tracks. Actual acceleration between up shifts (what the body feels "driving characteristics") will be same or nominally quicker in the manual.
Yes, I agree the difference is largest to 30 (between .1 and .2) as the .2 gets out of the hole a lot quicker. Which is why I like to bring up the difference of 1/4 time (usually half a second between equal transmission and outfitted .1/.2’s), and trap speed (usually 3-4 MPH which is a smaller gap than the acceleration difference). In terms of HP, the difference isn’t massive, hence closer trap speeds and the .1 S Ring time not being too far behind a .2 S Ring time. Where we see the most solid gap is in pure off the line acceleration.

I do, however feel that the .1’s revvy powerband feels like it’s benefitted by PDK more than maybe some other models are, that’s just my opinion.

I think we’re sort of talking about two different things re: PDK performance. I’m talking about a 1/4 mile run where you’ll get at least 3 shifts if I’m not mistaken. Each one of those shifts will see the manual lose its momentum as the PDK car will increase its lead. Generally speaking, you often see PDK cars putting up nearly half a second advantages over equal manual cars.

That’s not to say I’m putting the manual down. Clearly I don’t care about every tenth or MPH as I state that to my perspective, a few tenths and a few MPH and a few to several seconds on the Ring don’t matter to me, hence why I don’t see the performance gap between .1 and .2 *that* large. I’m just saying that I feel like the performance difference between manual and PDK is pretty considerable *if* we’re having a discussion about every last tenth and every MPH counting. Othwerwise, I actually prefer manual. I love the way those rapid PDK shifts sound, but I’d prefer a manual.
Old 06-21-2018 | 12:58 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
Someone needs to make a 991.1 coping circle thread.

It's like a battle of power where in every thread waves of 991.1 defenders come out of the woodworks trying to feel better about themselves. Some blunt, some passive aggressive, some timid, some sarcastic, and some cheerleaders. Such a sad group.
Since you were so nice to generalize...maybe we are car enthusiasts who know the difference between real cars and mowers, and trying really hard to comprehend your slobbering love affair with shiny, nicely packaged fart cans. Feel free to enlighten us! Skip the torque, I pull 50mph in 1st gear and hardly need "more car."
In fact I bought a lesser car couple of weeks ago and got a speeding ticket...

Discuss what's left to discuss...

Old 06-21-2018 | 01:18 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Every new 911 every introduced has come with advantages, particularly, as a rule, being faster than the outgoing model. However, they’ve all come with lamentable tradeoffs as well. The delusional ones are the ones that pretend the new model renders the old obsolete and useless, not those who note the plusses and minuses to trading in for it.

Personally what tempts me most if I change out my 911 is a 997.2 GT3, even though I’m sure to some going to an older car is crazy. Everyone has different preferences, claiming that someone that isn’t attracted to the car you like could only be because they couldn’t afford it or need a support group or whatever else is only masking your own insecurities. If you’re truely 100% happy with your car, it shouldn’t matter what someone else thinks about it.
Old 06-21-2018 | 01:56 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

And here I thought this thread was getting boring.

Bemo to the rescue!
Old 06-21-2018 | 03:47 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by tse
And here I thought this thread was getting boring.

Bemo to the rescue!
You're welcomed.
I have a turbo car. I hate the damned thing and the wife loves it. As far as I'm concerned it exists to remind me why the other 3 NA vehicles that we have reign supreme.

We drove the new .2 car too. It was a "wow" alright but not in a good way.

To each their own...
Old 06-21-2018 | 03:57 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bemo
You're welcomed.
I have a turbo car. I hate the damned thing and the wife loves it. As far as I'm concerned it exists to remind me why the other 3 NA vehicles that we have reign supreme.

We drove the new .2 car too. It was a "wow" alright but not in a good way.

To each their own...
I’m the same way... when I’m driving and want to accelerate “just so” in an NA I can just move the throttle forward until it’s accelerating how I want... in a turbo I get there then it keeps giving more and I have to pull back and it’s a battle to get it to where I want. Hats off to Porsche for almost hiding it in the base but of course it starts coming back as you move up the range...

Some people love the way turbo cars drive and there’s nothing wrong with that, it just doesn’t interest me and I can’t figure out why that’s not ok to certain people on here.
Old 06-21-2018 | 04:14 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Okay, good to know. Now back on topic, the 991.2. Surely there must be a “I drove a NA Porsche - Wow!” topic somewhere on this forum ...

Last edited by Mark993TT; 06-21-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Drove a 991.2 - wow!