Sponsored by:

Drove a 991.2 - wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018 | 04:56 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Originally Posted by Bemo
You're welcomed.
I have a turbo car. I hate the damned thing and the wife loves it. As far as I'm concerned it exists to remind me why the other 3 NA vehicles that we have reign supreme.

We drove the new .2 car too. It was a "wow" alright but not in a good way.

To each their own...
I agree with “to each their own”, but why do you keep it if you hate it? Is it your car or your wife’s?
Old 06-21-2018 | 05:08 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

At this point, unless all of us intend to cough up 160K plus, the days of being able to buy a brand new NA Porsche 911 are gone for a while. Maybe for good.

Used cars are great, but they are exactly that, used and spec'd by someone else. Which in the case of Porsche's makes life really difficult if you are looking for certain options and colors. In my case, it was REALLY hard finding the right 991.1 S or GTS since I also wanted a manual trans.

Reality is that yes, the 991.1's are special.

BUT, having driven them back to back with the 991.2, and having driven a 981S for 30K miles, there is no doubt that there are some advantages to the new motor.

I wanted a new Porsche to replace the one I lost before I was ready to give it up. Looking at all options, the Carrera T seemed like the right choice.
Old 06-21-2018 | 05:30 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
Someone needs to make a 991.1 coping circle thread.

It's like a battle of power where in every thread waves of 991.1 defenders come out of the woodworks trying to feel better about themselves. Some blunt, some passive aggressive, some timid, some sarcastic, and some cheerleaders. Such a sad group.
Troll.
Old 06-21-2018 | 05:57 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Sad, but true. ;-)
Old 06-21-2018 | 06:34 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dewinator

I’m the same way... when I’m driving and want to accelerate “just so” in an NA I can just move the throttle forward until it’s accelerating how I want... in a turbo I get there then it keeps giving more and I have to pull back and it’s a battle to get it to where I want. Hats off to Porsche for almost hiding it in the base but of course it starts coming back as you move up the range...

Some people love the way turbo cars drive and there’s nothing wrong with that, it just doesn’t interest me and I can’t figure out why that’s not ok to certain people on here.
Modulate throttle?

Yeah, it really sucks having all that power on tap at all times no matter what gear or rev range.
Old 06-21-2018 | 06:51 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

I'll wait for the 992.

I drove a loaner 991.2 and wasn't ready to buy one as I have last of the non-turbo 3.4L cars. I like them and may keep it when I buy a 992. They do a great job at the price paid.

I am sold on Porsche service and just entered my 1969 911 into the Porsche Classic Service. I was very impressed with the knowledge of the service people.

My 1969 Porsche 911 is in for a few repairs at my local dealer.
Old 06-21-2018 | 06:56 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

^^^ Beautiful.
Old 06-21-2018 | 07:40 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
I'll wait for the 992.

I drove a loaner 991.2 and wasn't ready to buy one as I have last of the non-turbo 3.4L cars. I like them and may keep it when I buy a 992. They do a great job at the price paid.

I am sold on Porsche service and just entered my 1969 911 into the Porsche Classic Service. I was very impressed with the knowledge of the service people.

My 1969 Porsche 911 is in for a few repairs at my local dealer.
Perfect.

I’m the same way... when I’m driving and want to accelerate “just so” in an NA I can just move the throttle forward until it’s accelerating how I want... in a turbo I get there then it keeps giving more and I have to pull back and it’s a battle to get it to where I want. Hats off to Porsche for almost hiding it in the base but of course it starts coming back as you move up the range...

Some people love the way turbo cars drive and there’s nothing wrong with that, it just doesn’t interest me and I can’t figure out why that’s not ok to certain people on here.
Hear hear.
Every new 911 every introduced has come with advantages, particularly, as a rule, being faster than the outgoing model. However, they’ve all come with lamentable tradeoffs as well. The delusional ones are the ones that pretend the new model renders the old obsolete and useless, not those who note the plusses and minuses to trading in for it.

Personally what tempts me most if I change out my 911 is a 997.2 GT3, even though I’m sure to some going to an older car is crazy. Everyone has different preferences, claiming that someone that isn’t attracted to the car you like could only be because they couldn’t afford it or need a support group or whatever else is only masking your own insecurities. If you’re truely 100% happy with your car, it shouldn’t matter what someone else thinks about it.
Exactly.

I understand why people prefer the new one, or the older one. They both have advantages on a personal level. What bums me out on a personal level more than anything is how the 911 is being re-cultered going forward. All the comments like “I like that it’s quiet because it feels more stealth” or “civilized” or “won’t wake my neighbors up.” It starts to sound like a 550i board. A 911 should be brash, loud, a bit gritty, outwardly emotive and wake your neighbors up!

And the China marketification (they’re the ones above all that want cushy, serene missiles on wheels) only continues once you’ll see the 992, with it’s tech-lounge interior and Norelco nub and big gulp placeholder. Some people like more torque, quicker acceleration, awesome, more power to you. But considering the 911 has been a certain way for SO long, not to mention built its empire thanks to being that certain way, I just don’t get the hostility of some toward those who aren’t on board with or don’t enjoy what are stark changes to the character and lineage. Unless they need to convince themselves more than anyone.
Old 06-21-2018 | 08:45 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by K-A

And the China marketification (they’re the ones above all that want cushy, serene missiles on wheels) only continues once you’ll see the 992, with it’s tech-lounge interior and Norelco nub and big gulp placeholder. Some people like more torque, quicker acceleration, awesome, more power to you. But considering the 911 has been a certain way for SO long, not to mention built its empire thanks to being that certain way, I just don’t get the hostility of some toward those who aren’t on board with or don’t enjoy what are stark changes to the character and lineage. Unless they need to convince themselves more than anyone.

Candidly, Porsche had to change to forced induction, as has almost everyone, to remain competitive and on par performance wise in its price range. That is the primary reason for the change. Otherwise, mid level sport sedans would be smoking 911s in performance numbers. Sedans such as Alfa Romeo QV, ATS, CTS, M3, C63 are all posting comparable or better times that 991.1 Ss for less $$$s. Forced induction in the base models was the only way to keep the numbers competitive and the profit margins viable.

Lineage?

Porsche 911s have always been about the Turbo since the 70s both on the track (935/956) and off the track (930). The Turbo was always THE car to have, especially for those of us growing up and doing the HS thing in the 80s.

Higher education posters in the 80s always had the 930 and the hot girl . . . and I have been fortunate to drive Porsche Turbos as my dedicated daily drivers since the late 80s. Candidly, I have owned about 20 NAs, in addition to my Turbos, including heavily modified NAs such as my 90 Ruf conversion with about $60k dumped into the engine alone, but the NAs always left me wanting, never got driven much and were generally sold off quickly and with very little miles. I always grabbed the keys to my Turbos.

Porsche does forced induction well and does it right. I think they only held off putting forced induction in the base models this long so as not to impair the marketability of their pinnacle Turbo models.

Facts is, we are super lucky that we can now grab forced induction Porsches with forced induction performance for reasonable prices.
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:13 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

I agree. Porsche was one of the only brands that held tightly onto Turbo’s through the years for some models.

They just chose to make the last decade or so if “Turbo” cars auto transmission, AWD cruisers with exception of the GT2.

When Porsche announced the 991.2 Carrera, I generally felt that if any brand knew how to play with Turbo’s, it was Porsche.
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:15 PM
Randy M
Drifting

My '87 930 had a paltry 282 bhp...
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:18 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Randy M
Still a blast to drive I bet...
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:19 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by tse
Still a blast to drive I bet...
Just had to prepare yourself for the hit...
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:21 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Randy M
Lol, I know and 930s seemed wicked fast back in the day. I remover first racing my dad’s old 911 SC in 84 and that thing felt off the charts back then. I’d fall asleep waiting to get to the next corner in one of those now.
Old 06-21-2018 | 09:26 PM
basic666
Racer

lol here comes the monthly topic on rennlist. Glad to see the same OGs keeping this topic alive on a monthly basis.

The funny thing is, this was never about the turbos. Notice 99% of the people against the latest 991 are people with the .1s. Yea, not the owners of 997s or any previous gen that didn't have turbos, just the 991.1s.

The turbos are just the biggest difference people are trying to pull out of their asses so they can make themselves feel special, for owning a slightly older iteration of the car.

But in all honesty, like many others have stated in this thread, any 911 is a great car to own. Can't people just be happy without trying so hard to justify how special their car is to others who owns practically the same car??

Some people should really try hanging on the watch forums some times. There, everyone shows appreciation towards every model / year / iteration of watches under the same brand. Or even across different brands for that matter. Maybe this will happen here too when mainstream transportation have all turned into self driving electric boxes? Oh well, a man can dream

Quick Reply: Drove a 991.2 - wow!