Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 991.2 - wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 04:22 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

My experience after driving both is that the sound advantage of the .1 N/A outweighs the power advantage of the .2 turbo (equal trims). Funny how much preferences and perceptions vary.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:31 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

The dealership had a leftover 991.1S with the power kit that I test drove. I ordered the 991.2 C2 because of the torque. Having written that, there is something wonderful about keeping an NA engine in the power band and hearing that glorious exhaust note. It's a difficult decision, and as many have seen my writings before, I am considering and on the list to order the 718 Spyder with the detuned GT3 engine.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:09 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The .1 sound is nice but overrated at times. It's nothing Italian. My .2 sounds better with headers and bypass pipes. Plus it gained over 30whp. Win win!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:16 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
The .1 sound is nice but overrated at times. It's nothing Italian. My .2 sounds better with headers and bypass pipes. Plus it gained over 30whp. Win win!
Just like a pipe organ, the number and size of cylinders contributes to the note!
Old 06-19-2018, 06:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
The dealership had a leftover 991.1S with the power kit that I test drove. I ordered the 991.2 C2 because of the torque. Having written that, there is something wonderful about keeping an NA engine in the power band and hearing that glorious exhaust note. It's a difficult decision, and as many have seen my writings before, I am considering and on the list to order the 718 Spyder with the detuned GT3 engine.
Well said and agreed. And I personally think nothing beats the sound of a good atmospheric flat 6. There’s just something very unique to it.

It’s a good thing Porsche makes (or now, has made) such good N/A and turbo cars. To give “both sides” of enthusiasts the best examples of what they crave and desire.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:00 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 725 Posts

So I finally bit the bullet, took the afternoon off and test drove a 2017 .2 base/PDK/PSE to see what all the hype was about.

Coming from a tuned BMW 1M the power delivery was familiar and it felt much more responsive off the line than my .1 base MT.

The difference in power and sound did not sway me one way or the other as I was more focused on the PDK.

The shifting and intuitiveness in all modes was very impressive to say the least and I actually liked it for what it was but wouldn't give up the manual just yet.

As I approach Bemo's age I can easily see myself thanking the almighty for PDK.

Next step will be testing a MT .2 at which point I suspect I may not wait for the 992 as I cannot see a substantial improvement in figures for the price.

Peace.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:12 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
So I finally bit the bullet, took the afternoon off and test drove a 2017 .2 base/PDK/PSE to see what all the hype was about.

Coming from a tuned BMW 1M the power delivery was familiar and it felt much more responsive off the line than my .1 base MT.

The difference in power and sound did not sway me one way or the other as I was more focused on the PDK.

The shifting and intuitiveness in all modes was very impressive to say the least and I actually liked it for what it was but wouldn't give up the manual just yet.

As I approach Bemo's age I can easily see myself thanking the almighty for PDK.

Next step will be testing a MT .2 at which point I suspect I may not wait for the 992 as I cannot see a substantial improvement in figures for the price.

Peace.
I'm Canadian myself but no longer live there (southwestern ONT).

How hard, and how expensive is it to obtain a new 911? I can see the 992 making you guys pay out of the a$$. Insurance?

I dig the new interior of the 992 except for the cup holder (Seems American oriented~no offense).
Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

How hard, and how expensive is it to obtain a new 911? I can see the 992 making you guys pay out of the a$$. Insurance?

I dig the new interior of the 992 except for the cup holder (Seems American oriented~no offense).
The expense is not the issue (in Ontario anyway), it's whether the extra cost is worth switching to me personally (and when I take out a MT .2 it may very well be).

Insurance for the 991.1 is less than my BMW 1M was so no issues.

Now, inventory/allocation is another issue, I believe there are only 4-5 used 2017 .2 base models for sale and only 2-3 are MT within Canada currently (Auto Trader).

I'm a patient man and will wait for the right one.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:46 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

The only issue we have in Canada is allocation/availability. Hard to get a new car build slot if you want something special, and on the used market, if you want a MT, there just isn't much choice.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:39 PM
TimboCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

10000 miles in a base .1 and now 10000 in a base .2. If you stay in the top 1/3 of the rev range the .1 was no slouch compared to a .2. I grew weary of reving out the .1 to waken it, so did my local leo's. The .2 is exciting where the .1 was flat and after 8k the exhaust note seems louder. As good as the .1 no, but just right for me and the dead zone is gone. Except for a momentary elastic throttle off the line. I enjoy the .2 more overall. The .2 gets better mieage also, however I've rarely tried. The less loud car is also stealth and one can get away with much more. I was and would have been happy with the .1 if the .2 never evolved. I would still love to have a 997, and or 996, 993. All dream cars in my mind.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:51 PM
ncm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tse

Peace.
Will be interested to hear your comparo of the .2 MT base and the .1 MT base. Based on test drives, I thought the differences in drivability (clutch engagement, shifter accuracy, power band) were stark. But I wonder whether they'd have been less noticeable if I'd gotten used to the .1 MT.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by ncm
Will be interested to hear your comparo of the .2 MT base and the .1 MT base. Based on test drives, I thought the differences in drivability (clutch engagement, shifter accuracy, power band) were stark. But I wonder whether they'd have been less noticeable if I'd gotten used to the .1 MT.
Hah...great minds think alike, as this is exactly what I will be watching for...

From driving the PDK I suspect the difference in power band will be stark, the rest not so sure.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:04 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
10000 miles in a base .1 and now 10000 in a base .2. If you stay in the top 1/3 of the rev range the .1 was no slouch compared to a .2. I grew weary of reving out the .1 to waken it, so did my local leo's. The .2 is exciting where the .1 was flat and after 8k the exhaust note seems louder. As good as the .1 no, but just right for me and the dead zone is gone. Except for a momentary elastic throttle off the line. I enjoy the .2 more overall. The .2 gets better mieage also, however I've rarely tried. The less loud car is also stealth and one can get away with much more. I was and would have been happy with the .1 if the .2 never evolved. I would still love to have a 997, and or 996, 993. All dream cars in my mind.
Personally speaking I like the effort related to keeping it at the top of that band, feels more like a “sport” and just more involved and rewarding imo. And the sound is so raw and emotive with an X Pipe. One of the reasons the .2 base doesn’t feel much faster to me is because I’ve really gotten used to keeping the .1 in its powerband when necessary/desired, and the .2 making such relatively plentiful power at the low rev ranges renders it almost pointless to (safely) rev out in real world scenarios, so especially mixed with the more docile and less viscious exhaust character, it gives me less sensation. I remember it wasn’t until I looked at the speedo of the first .2 base I drove that I noticed it was picking up speed a bit quicker than my car does.

My 911 isn’t my DD though. So usually when I drive it, I drive it to DRIVE it. Thus why keeping RPM’s up is the main motive/best part. I also have lots of twisty roads around me. Otherwise when I’m in traffic with it, it’s comletely docile and I drive it like a granny. True Jekyll/Hyde.

If I put more miles on my car and drove it more like a normal person does (traffic to work, less twisty roads in my backyard, etc.) with more scenarios where I need to call upon low and mid range power (say, for a quick burst of power to brighten the day but not scream from the top of the hills) I completely get the merit of the 991.2. I just feel that EVERY car now has a boosted low-end torque heavy powerband. It’s kind of lost its novelty to me. But that’s just me. For whatever reason I enjoy more extremes. Either docile or screaming from the top of the hills.

I would love one of each too though.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
My experience after driving both is that the sound advantage of the .1 N/A outweighs the power advantage of the .2 turbo (equal trims). Funny how much preferences and perceptions vary.
Same, but it was more than the sound. The .2’s that I drove were without a doubt faster, smoother cars, and a much better DD than the .1 for sure, but they felt too refined to me. The base .2 I drove felt like a 911 Audi would make. But I was still really impressed with the cars. If they sounded better, I might have been tempted but there were too many things about the car that I don’t care for. Personal preference stuff though.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I had an Audi. In some ways it was more fun (immediate supercharged stage II power), and it had decent grip. But once you really start pushing the car, my Turbo S is a revelation and feels nothing like an Audi. In a real way, it feels the entire opposite of an Audi, which has the engine in the front.

I love the sound and the sound level of my car. I will get an exhaust mostly to get the turbos to spool quicker and harder, but I like my car to be quiet as I drive it about 95% street. So I am not out to show others how cool I am making crazy sounds and ripping **** up, quite the contrary: I don't want them to know I am there doing go-to-jail speeds and having fun.

Quick Reply: Drove a 991.2 - wow!