Sponsored by:

Dear Porsche,

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 10:50 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I can’t even bring my Porsche to a dealer for service without it being damaged.

I can only imagine the hell bringing a new mid engine corvette into a Chevy dealer.

I love how last month, the new corvette was “sold out” for 2020. This week, they announced GM is cutting the 2020 build qty by 20% due to the Union strike. But they are only cutting unsold cars dealers are buying on spec.

So..the car was not really sold out it seems.
My feeling is that service standards have declined as Porsche has moved further away from being a niche sports car maker and closer toward a mass market SUV manufacturer.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmk2:
porschedood5000 (01-30-2020), Porsche_nuts (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 11:06 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
My feeling is that service standards have declined as Porsche has moved further away from being a niche sports car maker and closer toward a mass market SUV manufacturer.
This is 100% factual. They service daily driver sedans and SUV’s day in and day out. Sports cars are an exception.

Last trip to the dealer with my Cayman:

1) None of service valets knew how to drive stick and neither did the service advisor. They had to page a tech that could drive the car.

2) The car went in detailed fresh out of the garage. I had worked on it that weekend and had it looking great. It was there a week. They kept it outside in the sun. It had rained. Birds decided to decorate it. The sun etched that into the clear nicely.

3) The platinum interior had grease on seats, door panel, carpet, floor mats, etc.

They called to service my T recently for the first free oil change. I think I will just take care of it myself.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:27 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ClassJ
This is 100% factual. They service daily driver sedans and SUV’s day in and day out. Sports cars are an exception.

Last trip to the dealer with my Cayman:

1) None of service valets knew how to drive stick and neither did the service advisor. They had to page a tech that could drive the car.

2) The car went in detailed fresh out of the garage. I had worked on it that weekend and had it looking great. It was there a week. They kept it outside in the sun. It had rained. Birds decided to decorate it. The sun etched that into the clear nicely.

3) The platinum interior had grease on seats, door panel, carpet, floor mats, etc.

They called to service my T recently for the first free oil change. I think I will just take care of it myself.
My solution to such problems is to take our P-cars to a local dealer's shop foreman's private shop.

We work on the cars together, work is done with the utmost attention to detail, and I go home satisfied.

If the cars need warrantee work, I text him directly and hand him the keys at the dealership. He does the work and hands the keys back to me. No one else handles the cars. Period.

It shouldn't take having a friend at the dealer to get this sort of service. That should be the standard.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:32 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

I wonder what Corvette service at a Chevy dealer is like these days.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

That’s a great setup. At this point all I can hope for is no need for warranty work.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:18 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Those are some sad dealers. I have not had these types of issues, great SA's, no damage and pick up service if I ever needed it, good loaners.
The following users liked this post:
ducktails (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 09:40 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

I wonder what Corvette service at a Chevy dealer is like these days.
I am sure it isn't too different than the service I had 10-20 years ago for my Corvettes. Fake wood paneling in the waiting room, waiting in line behind someone getting warranty work for interior trim pieces falling off their Cobalt or Cruz, and then explaining to the service writer that the driver's side window won't roll down. "No, the driver's side." "The front door or the rear door?" "No, the Corvette is a two seater, it only has two doors." "No, I don't need a tire rotation (different wheel sizes front to back, asymmetrical tires, it's impossible)." "You need to keep my car all day?" "Okay, I guess a loaner car would be fine." "Oh, you don't offer loaner cars."

I dropped off my Vette for service one time at 8 am for a scheduled appointment. I came back at 5 pm and they had not even moved my car to look at it. The service writer, in a low voice, said for me to take it to dealer XXX, they have a good Corvette technician. Never went back there.

If you find a place with a good Corvette tech, it isn't so bad. Service was certainly cheaper (and far less frequent) than Porsche, by a considerable amount.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:41 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

I am actually looking forward to EVs and lower service requirements and cost.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:56 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I am actually looking forward to EVs and lower service requirements and cost.
That’s funny. Trust me, no consumer, long term, will save anything on electric cars. Not on the cost of the energy source, service, car itself, etc.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:00 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Old 01-30-2020, 10:41 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

If you find a place with a good Corvette tech, it isn't so bad. Service was certainly cheaper (and far less frequent) than Porsche, by a considerable amount.
I agree!

Jason
Old 01-30-2020, 12:13 PM
sanghav4
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to seeing what effect the C8 has on converting the Porsche faithful.

Thank you to John Wright at Porsche of North Houston for helping to keep me in the fold with a 718 GT4 allocation.

Are others jumping ship to C8?
Happy for you! I hope there is a GT4 out there, with a PDK that will hopefully end up in my garage!
Old 01-30-2020, 01:04 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

I've had mixed results with the local dealer, too.
Four trips to sort out a tire replacement...from silver weights on my black rims, to left over glue residue when those were changed to black, to a loss of a weight which required rebalancing...

I pray that I don't need major service done. I'm out of warranty anyway so Hello local Indy shops...
Old 01-30-2020, 02:03 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

My local Porsche dealer just loves to tell me "no" - so, I now tell them "no, I won't have it serviced there."
Old 01-30-2020, 09:16 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sanghav4
Happy for you! I hope there is a GT4 out there, with a PDK that will hopefully end up in my garage!
thank you!

it is coming my friend, and you will be able to get your hands on one soon enough.

Quick Reply: Dear Porsche,