Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have just Fabspeed X-Pipe for the 991.2 Base?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by USGooner
So you've had your Fabspeed exhaust for a couple of months now. Are you still happy with it? How's the sound while driving vs idling (btw, thank you for clip)? Any issues with engine fault lights or drone sound at any particular rpm? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my 991.2 C2 non-PSE car and appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thank you and awesome car. Scott
Scott, put around 2000miles on the exhaust since I first installed it. Since then, the sound has definitely changed a bit, but for the better. Exhaust definitely seems a bit louder (I'd say 10%-15% more) than when I first installed it. The burbles in sport mode a more pronounce now, and it sounds a bit more defined than before.

No engine faults or codes (nothing hidden either, at least nothing from scanner shows). Slight drone in the lower RPMs (from 1200-2000). Nothing killer. Could get annoying if you drive in comfort in the city, but I don't mind it. Sport mode no issues with drone, except from proceeding from standstill when the engine is down low in the rev range. Again, nothing killer. No where near the level of drone I experienced with my old car and exhaust setup.

Cold starts are loud; once it ends the start cycle, it quiets down to a very nice rumble at idle. Sounds mean.
During normal cruising, car sounds like a flat six. I drive 99% of the time in Sport mode, so I get the added pops and burbles during deceleration, lifting, and downshift. This exhaust makes these noises much more pronounced than stock. Honestly, pleasantly surprised at how loud and nice this exhaust sounds with the stock cats. Will be interesting to see how it will sound catless.

So in short, yes I am still very happy with the Fabspeed X-Pipe. It exceeded my expectations in every way. 100% satisfied with my purchase.

If you do get the x-pipe, make sure you have the exit pipes shortened by 1/2in or so in order to have the tips tuck nicely into the rear bumper.
I'll try and get more videos of the exhaust out one of these days. Hopefully some of the car in motion.

Hope that helped!

-Aatish
Old 09-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aatish
Scott, put around 2000miles on the exhaust since I first installed it. Since then, the sound has definitely changed a bit, but for the better. Exhaust definitely seems a bit louder (I'd say 10%-15% more) than when I first installed it. The burbles in sport mode a more pronounce now, and it sounds a bit more defined than before.

No engine faults or codes (nothing hidden either, at least nothing from scanner shows). Slight drone in the lower RPMs (from 1200-2000). Nothing killer. Could get annoying if you drive in comfort in the city, but I don't mind it. Sport mode no issues with drone, except from proceeding from standstill when the engine is down low in the rev range. Again, nothing killer. No where near the level of drone I experienced with my old car and exhaust setup.

Cold starts are loud; once it ends the start cycle, it quiets down to a very nice rumble at idle. Sounds mean.
During normal cruising, car sounds like a flat six. I drive 99% of the time in Sport mode, so I get the added pops and burbles during deceleration, lifting, and downshift. This exhaust makes these noises much more pronounced than stock. Honestly, pleasantly surprised at how loud and nice this exhaust sounds with the stock cats. Will be interesting to see how it will sound catless.

So in short, yes I am still very happy with the Fabspeed X-Pipe. It exceeded my expectations in every way. 100% satisfied with my purchase.

If you do get the x-pipe, make sure you have the exit pipes shortened by 1/2in or so in order to have the tips tuck nicely into the rear bumper.
I'll try and get more videos of the exhaust out one of these days. Hopefully some of the car in motion.

Hope that helped!

-Aatish
Great feedback Aatish! I might add that I spoke with Joe F. at Fabspeed a few times about those tips and at this point I believe they have made the adjustments to the tip outlet pipes per your measurements. I wouldn't cut an extra 1/2 off the tip outlet pipes at this point, that may not end well haha.

Scott you'll love the new car and I expect even more so with the addition of the X-Pipe. When you are ready, give me a shout at 484 883 6197 and I'd be happy to chat with you more about it and get you taken care of
Old 09-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Thanks for the input.

On the N/A cars, the X-pipe helps a lot.
I drive a N/A 3.8 with FabSpeed X-pipe, it doesn't help a lot. The tone has changed but the sound level is pretty much the same. Power gains are marginal.

I have a non-working exhaust tip and that looks pretty bad... I trying to find ways to resolve it with some sort of Y pipe.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
I drive a N/A 3.8 with FabSpeed X-pipe, it doesn't help a lot. The tone has changed but the sound level is pretty much the same. Power gains are marginal.

I have a non-working exhaust tip and that looks pretty bad... I trying to find ways to resolve it with some sort of Y pipe.
On the N/A engines the valved makes quite an impressive improvement, the non-valved is much less notable until you combine it with headers or mufflers. I assume you have the non valved x-pipe, as that would leave one of the dual entry exhaust tips open without an exhaust pipe entering it. What would have been the ideal solution for you is to run their valved x-pipe. The sound would be the same as you have now, but with valves open it would bypass your side mufflers for a much more aggressive exhaust note and sound level enhancement. The additional exhaust exit would also serve to fill the blank entry on the rear of your exhaust tips. Fabspeed didn't originally have this solution for your car as I recently tested and confirmed fitment of the valved version on a Carrera S Non-PSE, with the valve control synced to the garage door buttons as the PSE button did not exist.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:54 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

I just recently installed an X-Pipe on my base Carrera 991.2. Very happy with the sound/tone. Just enough without being too obnoxious or annoying (I realize this is very subjective and everyone is different). My optional factory tips do stick out too far ... at least an 1/2" too much maybe even a full inch. I'm not even sure there is enough to cut off and still have enough remain for the tips to attach to???? I'll post up a pic tonight if anyone is interested.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:13 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
On the N/A engines the valved makes quite an impressive improvement, the non-valved is much less notable until you combine it with headers or mufflers. I assume you have the non valved x-pipe, as that would leave one of the dual entry exhaust tips open without an exhaust pipe entering it. What would have been the ideal solution for you is to run their valved x-pipe. The sound would be the same as you have now, but with valves open it would bypass your side mufflers for a much more aggressive exhaust note and sound level enhancement. The additional exhaust exit would also serve to fill the blank entry on the rear of your exhaust tips. Fabspeed didn't originally have this solution for your car as I recently tested and confirmed fitment of the valved version on a Carrera S Non-PSE, with the valve control synced to the garage door buttons as the PSE button did not exist.
You are correct... I should have contacted you instead of FabSpeed directly. ugh! I'm stuck with this thing now.

Any suggestions? I know I can buy the rest of the exhaust system (side cans) but I'm not ready for it. Should I just go back to the OEM center muffler?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:15 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You are correct... I should have contacted you instead of FabSpeed directly. ugh! I'm stuck with this thing now.
Well let's not jump to that conclusion just yet. Give me a call at 484 883 6197 let's chat about it
Old 09-18-2018, 03:41 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Hope that helped!

-Aatish
Thank you so much for the excellent feedback. Glad to hear you are happy with this mod to your car. My local Porsche guy (not dealer) recommended this. Nice to get a "real life" example comparing like car to like car. Best to you!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Scott here at Fabspeed. I am here if you have any questions, just want to make sure all is well. I spoke with John, he filled me in on your concerns. I will be reaching out directly as well.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by USGooner
So you've had your Fabspeed exhaust for a couple of months now. Are you still happy with it? How's the sound while driving vs idling (btw, thank you for clip)? Any issues with engine fault lights or drone sound at any particular rpm? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my 991.2 C2 non-PSE car and appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thank you and awesome car. Scott
Scott here at Fabspeed Motorsport. Feel free to reach out with any questions!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:24 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Have to go with some of the sentiments expressed here, taking catalytic converters off a vehicle for use in public roads is illegal. I also feel a moral responsibility to control emission from my vehicles.

Enjoy a sports car as much as the next person (2019 C4S 7M w/ Sport Pack, on order) but I can't condone even one person defeating the emissions on a car used on public roads.

Don't know how many here were even born or drove around in the time before emission controls, I did. Exhaust gases were bad and worse in traffic, in the city, the worst. Even when a/c became common, ventilation systems would suck in the exhaust from the vehicle in front of you. Putting on the re-circulation helped but cars aren't air-tight.

If you believe that converter removal is a personal choice, that it's your right, well, tell that to the driver and occupants of the car behind you when they get a load of your untreated exhaust coming through their vents.

Not "cat-bashing", just giving a different perspective as one's actions do affect others.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Scott here at Fabspeed. I am here if you have any questions, just want to make sure all is well. I spoke with John, he filled me in on your concerns. I will be reaching out directly as well.
Thanks Scott, yeah John is an awesome guy, very knowledgeable and a total Porsche buff!

The more I use it the more I'm fine with the tone and sound level. Fabspeed construction is ridiculously good, the piece looks like it belongs in a museum and now that I've put some hot miles the "burnt" color of the chrome makes it look even better. A+ on quality for sure.

The only issue I'm having is the useless exhaust tip. I need t find a way to make it look better. I'm thinking of making a cap or asking a shop to somehow center the side muffler outlet so I can use a single inlet to double outlet tip "a la 997".

If anyone has an idea please lay it down on the table!

The following users liked this post:
Rocketv (07-18-2021)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Scott, yeah John is an awesome guy, very knowledgeable and a total Porsche buff!

The more I use it the more I'm fine with the tone and sound level. Fabspeed construction is ridiculously good, the piece looks like it belongs in a museum and now that I've put some hot miles the "burnt" color of the chrome makes it look even better. A+ on quality for sure.

The only issue I'm having is the useless exhaust tip. I need t find a way to make it look better. I'm thinking of making a cap or asking a shop to somehow center the side muffler outlet so I can use a single inlet to double outlet tip "a la 997".

If anyone has an idea please lay it down on the table!
Thanks for the kind words Will, it was a pleasure chatting with you

If I had your same concerns about the tips, the easiest and most efficient method I can imagine is having the backside of the open tip inlet traced/measured. Then simply have a similar material to the tip cut to that trace welded to the backside of the tip. I wouldn't say a full weld would be needed, just a tack weld in a few spots should suffice. That would be a whole lot easier than modifying your exhaust outlet pipe to center on your dual entry tips, and support your ability to break the tack welds and use a valved exhaust in the future if you'd like to take things up a notch even further given you don't pursue a header or muffler upgrade. If you do pursue upgrading your mufflers in the future, you can get them made to come with a single inlet tip. More sound and improved cosmetics.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:01 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
Thanks for the kind words Will, it was a pleasure chatting with you

If I had your same concerns about the tips, the easiest and most efficient method I can imagine is having the backside of the open tip inlet traced/measured. Then simply have a similar material to the tip cut to that trace welded to the backside of the tip. I wouldn't say a full weld would be needed, just a tack weld in a few spots should suffice. That would be a whole lot easier than modifying your exhaust outlet pipe to center on your dual entry tips, and support your ability to break the tack welds and use a valved exhaust in the future if you'd like to take things up a notch even further given you don't pursue a header or muffler upgrade. If you do pursue upgrading your mufflers in the future, you can get them made to come with a single inlet tip. More sound and improved cosmetics.
Thanks John, I think I can actually make a cap and use a clamp instead of welding... Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Anybody have just Fabspeed X-Pipe for the 991.2 Base?