Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have just Fabspeed X-Pipe for the 991.2 Base?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:35 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 66 Posts

Thank you everyone for posting Fabspeed X pipe video for base as I have been looking for one without headers.

I am debating between Fabspeed vs Tubi vs agency power.

Has anyone installed agency power exhaust as the price is between Tubi and Fabspeed and demo video below does sound great

Old 07-10-2018, 12:57 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alec great feedback, I like those matte black tips!

Aatish I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get the X-Pipe in, if you run into anything else my cell is 484 883 6197 give me a shout any time.

I sent a few PM's to you other fellow Porschephiles to chat about the exhaust options available. I look forward to working with you guys
Old 07-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
Alec great feedback, I like those matte black tips!

Aatish I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get the X-Pipe in, if you run into anything else my cell is 484 883 6197 give me a shout any time.

I sent a few PM's to you other fellow Porschephiles to chat about the exhaust options available. I look forward to working with you guys
Hey John!

Saved your number to my phone. Will be keeping in touch for future mods.
Should have the exhaust on by the end of this week (assuming things go to plan). Will have media shortly after.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:23 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish
Hey John!

Saved your number to my phone. Will be keeping in touch for future mods.
Should have the exhaust on by the end of this week (assuming things go to plan). Will have media shortly after.
Excellent! A cat upgrade and a tune would really get you rocking and rolling as a stage 2. Excited for the end of the week once you get that X-Pipe in : )
Old 07-13-2018, 11:50 PM
Aatish
Pro

Update time!

Finally got this thing installed, and I’m a happy person. I’ll do a separate post outlining going into detail with media soon....

In the mean time, I’ll just say I’m more than satisfied with the x-pipe alone. Really enchances the sound of the car, without being obnoxiously loud. Definitely gives the car more character. Idle is mean af. And those pops and crackles in sport mode are awesome.

I had the x-pipe slightly modified to allow for the tips to sit in a bit more; happy with the way it turned out. Will post more pictures soon, along with video comparing stock and x-pipe. In the mean time, here’s a teaser image of the tips I got.

-Aatish
Old 07-14-2018, 08:01 PM
Aatish
Pro

More pictures...
Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My 2 cents...

I wouldn't get straight pipe/ remove the cats. Removing cats is illegal for street driving and harmful to the environment. There are little to no significant performance gains, especially without an aftermarket tune. Stock 'porsche' cats are not restrictive once you see inside them. I've had plenty of experience with aftermarket 'high flow' cats, which have e a smaller honeycomb size, but larger diameter holes. They do open up the sound a bit, however they don't last long at all. 1-2 years of daily driving and you codes, and eventually check engine light...you'll only read 'first impression online' and never hear from the owner 2 years later (assuming they kept the car). I highly recommend people who actually drive their cars daily and put plenty of miles on it to not touch the factory cats. I have never raced my car, but people at VIR report they burn out aftermarket cats quickly and even manufacturers don't recommend/ warranty them for track duty (catless is better suited for that).

I also have plenty of experience in tinkering with mufflers/exhaust. The aftermarket stuff is lighter weight which can lead to a performance gain, but its also thinner metal that degrades much faster. Fitment and build quality is never as good as the stock 'Porsche' system...tips not lining up or sticking out too far is common. The sound gained is typically more bass and you lose higher freqs by going with larger diameter pipes (used to reduce back pressure and in theory in increase performance). There are performance gains, but they're at the top end of RPMs and sometimes you actually lose a bit at lower RPMs. It sounds great in youtube videos revving inside garages or under bridges, but the reality is often not that. The aftermarket systems WILL drone more than stock when cruising down highway or in certain rev ranges. The 'no drone' claims are fantasies...there is reason cars have mufflers and why the manufacturer mutes the sound - the stock system is nearly perfectly designed with resonators to eliminate drone and the aftermarket system are completely designed to be louder...nothing more annoying about a car than a droning exhaust.

In summary your experience my vary, but IMO, the stock system will be the most worry free and best 'Porsche' sound experience. The PSE in my 991.2 sounds great and just loud enough to not be annoying on a daily basis. The standard system sounds very similar, but slightly less bass, volume, and not as many pops in sport mode. If you want more sound, just rev it out more and the money you spend on gas is saved by not spending 2-7k on an aftermarket exhaust system. Of course people have different 'wants' and will dream about a loud(er) exhaust...I guess there is no stopping them from scratching that itch and learn the hard way.

Oh and typically no one will want your loud droning exhaust car when trading in or selling, so you better save the stock system.
The following users liked this post:
Hashbrown (02-10-2023)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Excellent review Aatish, thanks for posting up your feedback! It looks excellent and I am happy you are enjoying it as much or more than we were expecting
Old 07-19-2018, 11:12 AM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aatish

More pictures...
any videos? Thanks
Old 07-19-2018, 11:23 AM
AutoquestMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sali1980
any videos? Thanks
I might be meeting up with a buddy of mine this weekend with a base running a X-Pipe. Any requests for the video?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Aatish
Pro

Originally Posted by sali1980

any videos? Thanks

Hi there!

Working on it. Got stationary footage comparing stock and X-pipe only. Was hoping to get some GoPro mic footage today, but rain and work is getting in the way. Will try and get some footage of that tomorrow or this weekend. Will stitch together the stationary footage once I get home later tonight and hopefully post it shortly after.

-Aatish

Old 07-20-2018, 01:14 AM
Aatish
Pro

As promised, quick video comparison of stock and X-pipe only. Will take an in motion video when I get a chance.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:11 AM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Awesome video and very useful! Thank you so much.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 AM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So you've had your Fabspeed exhaust for a couple of months now. Are you still happy with it? How's the sound while driving vs idling (btw, thank you for clip)? Any issues with engine fault lights or drone sound at any particular rpm? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my 991.2 C2 non-PSE car and appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thank you and awesome car. Scott
Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by USGooner
So you've had your Fabspeed exhaust for a couple of months now. Are you still happy with it? How's the sound while driving vs idling (btw, thank you for clip)? Any issues with engine fault lights or drone sound at any particular rpm? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my 991.2 C2 non-PSE car and appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thank you and awesome car. Scott
You also might want to look at the agency power exhaust. I put one on my 2017 along with catless pipes and love it. To me it sounds a little more aggressive than the fabspeed.

Quick Reply: Anybody have just Fabspeed X-Pipe for the 991.2 Base?