Sponsored by:

Buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:03 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Buying out of state

I hate to write at negative post, but I need some outside input and perspective.
This spring the financial and spousal approval stars aligned and I started shopping for the next Porsche. I looked at new and used on the east coast, and spent time building the dream car on the configurator. I read HFS regularly, and one thing STG said hit home: used Porsches are so individualized, that the search really should be nationwide. Sure enough, I found the car, almost exactly what I was building on the configurator, but in CA, whereas I'm in CT. It ticked so many boxes, 2017 Carrera S, manual, Carrera Sport wheels, Night Blue, sport package, ventilated seats, and a bunch of stuff that was just gravy, like Burmeister, extended leather, etc, that I just didn't need to look further. The CPO deal, shaving off the first year's depreciation, and not having to deal with allocations/build and shipping time/tariff insanity made the car make a lot of sense.

With only 2K miles, CPO, clean carfax, tons of photos, and a salesman that was willing to photograph and video everything I asked for, I rolled the dice and didn't visit it in person. I felt I'd driven enough cars that I felt I knew what car I was getting. From that perspective, everything worked out. Two weeks after we started signing papers, the car was in my garage, and was everything I expected. 2K for coast to coast enclosed shipping FYI.

Here's the problem: Its been 60 days and I still don't have registration, license plates, a title, or anything that even proves I own the car. The CA dealer says they can't provide temporary plates without paying CA sales tax. After several phone calls with the salesman and the manager, its clear they use a service to register the car. That service lost some of the paperwork, but as of last week, they had mailed in the registration documents. They say the CT DMV would process it in 2 weeks. The manager was extraordinarily unsympathetic and his response was that he wished he never had to sell cars out of state. He said he's only making $2700 on the deal anyway. CT will provide 10 day temporary registration, but I don't have a title, and the dealer won't release it because of confidentiality concerns with the prior owner. In fact, with all the paper work in hand, after a couple hours in the CT DMV office one could walk out with the plates and be done.

Is this what I should expect for an out of state Porsche deal? The dealer got everything done as fast as possible before the money transfer cleared. The transport company couldn't be better, and it was clear they were working hard to get the job done and make the customer satisfied. The dealer recently has been minimally responsive and I'm left with expensive motionless garage art. How long should one let this go on? Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2018, 07:22 PM
rymorg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you should expect service to match the product in which you purchased and what you were promised. I recently purchased a 911 out of state (first porsche, first out of state purchase, purchased sight unseen) and everything went very smoothly. The car was in my driveway 6 days after I sent them the check. Only hiccup was that they forgot to provide the title that I needed for registration. I called and left a voicemail to my salesman on Thursday afternoon. They overnighted the title and it arrived by 10AM on Friday. In my opinion, a good dealer should be as cooperative before the sale as after.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:27 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
I hate to write at negative post, but I need some outside input and perspective.
This spring the financial and spousal approval stars aligned and I started shopping for the next Porsche. I looked at new and used on the east coast, and spent time building the dream car on the configurator. I read HFS regularly, and one thing STG said hit home: used Porsches are so individualized, that the search really should be nationwide. Sure enough, I found the car, almost exactly what I was building on the configurator, but in CA, whereas I'm in CT. It ticked so many boxes, 2017 Carrera S, manual, Carrera Sport wheels, Night Blue, sport package, ventilated seats, and a bunch of stuff that was just gravy, like Burmeister, extended leather, etc, that I just didn't need to look further. The CPO deal, shaving off the first year's depreciation, and not having to deal with allocations/build and shipping time/tariff insanity made the car make a lot of sense.

With only 2K miles, CPO, clean carfax, tons of photos, and a salesman that was willing to photograph and video everything I asked for, I rolled the dice and didn't visit it in person. I felt I'd driven enough cars that I felt I knew what car I was getting. From that perspective, everything worked out. Two weeks after we started signing papers, the car was in my garage, and was everything I expected. 2K for coast to coast enclosed shipping FYI.

Here's the problem: Its been 60 days and I still don't have registration, license plates, a title, or anything that even proves I own the car. The CA dealer says they can't provide temporary plates without paying CA sales tax. After several phone calls with the salesman and the manager, its clear they use a service to register the car. That service lost some of the paperwork, but as of last week, they had mailed in the registration documents. They say the CT DMV would process it in 2 weeks. The manager was extraordinarily unsympathetic and his response was that he wished he never had to sell cars out of state. He said he's only making $2700 on the deal anyway. CT will provide 10 day temporary registration, but I don't have a title, and the dealer won't release it because of confidentiality concerns with the prior owner. In fact, with all the paper work in hand, after a couple hours in the CT DMV office one could walk out with the plates and be done.

Is this what I should expect for an out of state Porsche deal? The dealer got everything done as fast as possible before the money transfer cleared. The transport company couldn't be better, and it was clear they were working hard to get the job done and make the customer satisfied. The dealer recently has been minimally responsive and I'm left with expensive motionless garage art. How long should one let this go on? Any suggestions?
I bought my car in NY and live in NH. They need to send a letter to the CT DMV saying the title is clear and the car has been released to the dealership. Then you show proof of the purchase from the dealership. By law the dealership must do this. You don’t have to pay CA sales tax to get this done. I paid no NY sales tax.
The dealer gave me 30 day plates and I got my new NH plates in 20 days.
I’ll get the exact description of the paperwork when I get home later if you want.

Many sales assocaites and dealership people are misinformed in these areas.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:39 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Because dealers often don’t hold titles (their finance company does) lots of shady stuff can happen.

At the very least, I would expect to see copies of the paperwork that was supposedly lost.

Every out of state deal I have ever done I did the paperwork myself.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:41 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
Because dealers often don’t hold titles (their finance company does) lots of shady stuff can happen.

At the very least, I would expect to see copies of the paperwork that was supposedly lost.

Every out of state deal I have ever done I did the paperwork myself.
if the dealers don’t have the title they don’t own the car.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:42 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpbmd

if the dealers don’t have the title they don’t own the car.
at the very least they need to have a letter from the title company saying the title is clear with no leins. .
Old 08-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

I bought my last C2S from a dealer in CT. and had it shipped to NC. Title service in CT. screwed up the paperwork. When it was delivered, I had a 30 day temporary CT tag. Because of the screw up, the dealer issued another. Don't know why they can'y issue you another, and for 30 days.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:46 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a similar issue with a 911 I bought out of Florida. A call to PCNA and a day or two latter had all paper work in hand. Give them a call in Atlanta.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:18 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not understand why these dealerships behave like they do. I am in CA....bought my Porsche unseen in Georgia. I signed all the documents....wired the money.....they sent me documents including the title. The car arrived with a temporary 30 day registration from Georgia. I .took the bill of sale, pink slip, and paid for tax/registration at the local DMV......and that was it. Why do they complicate this....You would think that they would be concerned about customers giving them bad reviews.
Abe
Old 08-11-2018, 08:42 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abe
I do not understand why these dealerships behave like they do. I am in CA....bought my Porsche unseen in Georgia. I signed all the documents....wired the money.....they sent me documents including the title. The car arrived with a temporary 30 day registration from Georgia. I .took the bill of sale, pink slip, and paid for tax/registration at the local DMV......and that was it. Why do they complicate this....You would think that they would be concerned about customers giving them bad reviews.
Abe
+1. OP this is exactly what you need to do. I did exactly that. Call the idiots at the dealership. They must give you the title. You bought the car. If they refuse then they ar committing fraud. (Selling a car they don’t own)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM
n8kruger
Racer

I'm glad it sounds like this isn't standard operating procedure. The problem is I gave the $9000 sales tax plus fees to the dealer to theoretically register the car already. I could ask for temporary plates but the doing it all myself ship has sailed. I will call PCNA Monday. Maybe BBB too.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:08 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n8kruger
I'm glad it sounds like this isn't standard operating procedure. The problem is I gave the $9000 sales tax plus fees to the dealer to theoretically register the car already. I could ask for temporary plates but the doing it all myself ship has sailed. I will call PCNA Monday. Maybe BBB too.
call your DMV. If you paid taxes on the car in CA maybe they can get those taxes moved to your state. Typically you pay the tax on a shipped car at the time of registration. This really sucks. Sorry man.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:28 PM
n8kruger
Racer

To clarify the tax $ was to be paid to CT
Old 08-11-2018, 10:38 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

I had a similar situation when I bought my Macan GTS in Florida in 2017. Everything was great, I paid for the Texas taxes at the time of purchase, plus $500 for the paperwork (overpriced, but got a great discount on the car) and they were supposed to process the plates, title, etc.

30 days later I still had no plates. I called them up, and they overnighted me another 30-day paper plate. Now, I REALLY wanted to have my real plates so I could move over my personalized plates, which I could not do until I had some real plates.

When the second paper plate was about to expire, I called and demanded an explanation. They blamed the company doing the paperwork, etc. I demanded my money back ($500) and to have my paperwork overnighted to me, so I could process the paperwork myself. After arguing back and forth, I simply said "no problem, I will make sure to rate the purchase accordingly on the Porsche survey" BINGO!!! I had a check for $500 plus my paperwork the next day.

I went to the DMV and within 15 minutes I had my plates, switched them over to my personalized plates and was done with it.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:42 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Call California DMV - Investigations asap. They 'll jump on this. The dealer has his license and bond at stake.

Quick Reply: Buying out of state