Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have just Fabspeed X-Pipe for the 991.2 Base?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 02:41 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
All good to have different views, except you're making everyone around you go to your church while poisoning them and their kids too. That neighbor next door, that family in a minivan behind you. That isn't an opinion, it's a fact. And for what? A few ponies? Quicker spool?

I get the desire for both. But...high-flow cats are a bit like speeding from time to time: still within the realm of reason, and a lot of folks do it. Catless is a bit like speeding all the time, blowing through school zones at 40-50+ mph. Your neighbors might look at you and shake their heads, while that nice officer who might give you a warning for speeding on a freeway or deserted road is likely to lock you up for the night.

As for sound, I'm in your camp and am thus curious about your thread and here to be constructive—so please don't view the above as angry...more as a vote for high-flow cats and/or mufflers as a better way to find what you're looking for. Old cars (like the one in my avatar) were dirty. New cars are in many cases faster, and MUCH cleaner. Why toss that out the window? I think you can achieve what you are after with exhaust alone (as your thread asks about) and/or high-flow catalysts. And I am interested to hear people with experience weigh in, too.

I think your thread is actually something of a trailblazer, as there are a lot of people who skipped PSE for reasons of cost or looks and wouldn't mind spending some money on a revised exhaust setup. Borla, Fister, Sharkwerks, etc all have a record of making Porsches sound better in the past, so it will be interesting to see if they offer something for the 991.2. I'm also curious about sound deadening changeover to the T stuff, which I hear is more extreme than the GTS setup.
Yes, I agree. And yes, extra ponies and quicker spool. No doubt it's releasing some nasty stuff into the air and it probably isn't that good for us...but there are a lot of things in life like that....
I don't view your reply as angry, and actually welcome it. As mentioned, let's try and keep this constructive and on track (a rarity it seems on this forum). I'll make a separate post on catless vs cat debate for us to duke it out properly

At the moment, Fabspeed seems to have the only product out there that affects the muffler portion for the non-pse cars. I was hoping somebody could provide feedback on there experience with just the X-pipe....but my hopes are not that high.
Guess I'll have to be the first lol.

Sidenote, if I remember correctly, the 993 Turbo motor was, at one point, the cleanest motor in the world. Dream car right there. Maybe some day. Sounds better than the 991.2 I got rn, that's for sure.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:05 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish
I'm quickly realizing this lol.
How is this being constructive as you later say? I normally don't say much about comments like this, but you had a great thread going, was enjoying it and learning. I too have been wondering if anyone has x-piped a 991.2. Keep us posted if you go this route, will be interested in your results.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:12 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WhipE350
How is this being constructive as you later say? I normally don't say much about comments like this, but you had a great thread going, was enjoying it and learning. I too have been wondering if anyone has x-piped a 991.2. Keep us posted if you go this route, will be interested in your results.
I lost track lol.

Back to constructive comments.

Trying to do research on how the stock muffler is designed. If anybody has any ideas or resources, please share.
My hunch is that the two inlet-pipes cross inside the dissipation chamber, creating what is essentially an X-pipe. Now, those pipes would most likely be perforated to allow slower moving exhaust gases to enter into the surrounding structure, hence muffling the sound at lower speeds. At higher exhaust velocity (or when I'm booking it), the nature of liquids in motion would keep most of the gasses from escaping through the perforation in the pipe, allowing for most of it to pass through the system.

Now, considering also that there are 2 turbo chargers, which as mentioned previously act as resonators, I would assume that an X-pipe alone probably won't do much in terms of making the car louder or that much more pronounced than stock (at least, not to the level that I am trying to achieve).

Totally an assumption, but basing this from what I've experienced in the past with BMWs. Soul Performance Products has a track back exhaust system for the PSE cars, however it's basically a straight pipe. Cats are bye bye. Not trying to do that (yet at least). But, I think similar style plumbing from the Cats back would be more effective at achieving a gnarlier exhaust note.

Hopefully we get some of the vendors to pick up on this thread and provide input.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

I'll crack open SolidWorks once I get some measurements...
Old 06-10-2018, 07:23 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm no greenie, but going catless (illegal) for 2/10ths and 2 mph on a 11 sec/120+mph car and better sound seems like a crap thing to do. You want to yank the cats for just the drag strip, I get that, but permanent bypass, really?
Old 06-10-2018, 07:44 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I'm no greenie, but going catless (illegal) for 2/10ths and 2 mph on a 11 sec/120+mph car and better sound seems like a crap thing to do. You want to yank the cats for just the drag strip, I get that, but permanent bypass, really?
Dieselgate is all good though.

It was .3 seconds in hotter temperature with no tune which is a significant difference.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:50 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Dieselgate is all good though.

It was .3 seconds in hotter temperature with no tune which is a significant difference.
No, Dieselgate was not all good. And ask Wolfgang Hatz, who is still sitting in jail. There are others. Whoever is at fault, it cost VW Group billions of dollars, and affected the health of millions of people (both customers of VW and their neighbors). One has to ask: Worth it?

Normally, rounding up makes sense...but not at the strip. So your gain per the slips shown was 0.261 second. At the strip, that's real. On the street, it's academic. While there wasn't a huge difference in temperature, you had a superior R/T on your slower run—tipping the favor further towards your setup. However, there may be other variables—however tiny—at work, as well (on different nights in different months: track surface, track temp, driver, barometric pressure, ECU mapping depending on recent quality of fuel and other parameters, heat soak, tires, tire pressures, etc.). Maybe one or more of those factors tips it one way, or the other.

Did you do more than one run on both nights?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:02 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did. They were the same thing over and over and over. 11.5 11.5 11.5 11.5. After modding it was 11.2 over and over but my trap speeds were climbing. I'm certain I would have dipped into 11.1 if it was in the 70s. The track began to empty out which meant lesser times between runs. Hotter tires would have hooked up some more as I had wheel hop/spin. A 15 degree difference is also significant which was not in my favor the second time.

Reaction time does not matter. The light can go green and you can sit there for a minute. It will make no difference as the time only starts when you take off.

Regardless, my post was in response to the doctor who said cat deletes do nothing for performance but make your car sound like crap.

On the street and especially on the highway theres a major difference noticed in the driver seat. With a tune this is going to be a 10 second car.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:31 PM
AutoquestMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aatish, I know these cars quite well I'll shoot you a PM to discuss.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:40 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish
At the moment, Fabspeed seems to have the only product out there that affects the muffler portion for the non-pse cars. I was hoping somebody could provide feedback on there experience with just the X-pipe....but my hopes are not that high.
Guess I'll have to be the first lol
I have been hoping for the same feedback on the X pipe .... and on the Tubi system which also keeps the base quad tip set-up. I'll pull the trigger on one of these in the next month or two.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Ryan52589
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

that is fabspeed xpipe only on my non pse 991.2 Carrera
Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan52589
https://youtu.be/lJOgniZa0cU

Thanks Ryan. It sounds like you have a valve actuator to turn the exhaust on. or am I mistaken? IF so, iIs this button integrated in the console or is it a fob? How do you like the sound?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:56 PM
Ryan52589
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Sound difference can be heard between normal mode and sport mode if you have sport chrono package. Sport mode leaves a little crackling and popping whereas normal mode does not
Old 06-12-2018, 12:19 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ryan52589
https://youtu.be/lJOgniZa0cU

You the man!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:28 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Can you prove your first statement? I can disprove it for you.
Here:
Bone stock GTS.. 11.5 @ 121 mph.. Roughly 75 degrees outside.
Add bypass pipes.. 11.2 @ 123 mph.. Temperature in the high 80's
Bone stock 991 Series 2 GTS 11.3 @ 125 (72f)

Quick Reply: Anybody have just Fabspeed X-Pipe for the 991.2 Base?