991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 911T or 2016 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018 | 04:44 PM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

@ Pete: thank you very much for a great write-up: I really enjoyed the read Can't wait to compare the driving experience in the T with my 981 Spyder (my 997.1 GT3 maybe an unfair comparison because loaded with track-mods). May I ask what your view on RWS (in a manual T) is ? I liked it a lot in a 991.2 Targa GTS but was unsure with the T spec (finally I didn't spec it) because I thought it may take a little bit away from the challenge/reward thing I like with the 911. Also I thought diversity may be a good thing (under the impression the 911 driving dynamics come somewhat closer to the midengine dynamics if 911 is equipped with RWS - finally I have the Spyder for pure midengine fun). For a PDK equipped T it may be a different story as the RWS may compensate somewhat for the missing LSD. Would appreciate to learn your view on this - though not that it matters for my spec anymore as I'll pick up the T on Thursday :-)
Old 06-11-2018 | 05:08 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

IMO you get to pick two of: Epic looks, enjoyable as a daily, mid engine fun.

911: Epic looks, enjoyable as a daily
GT4: Enjoyable as a daily, mid engine fun
Exotics: Epic looks, mid engine fun

So it’s not really one being better than the other, more just picking what your priorities are.
Old 06-12-2018 | 03:46 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
@ Pete: thank you very much for a great write-up: I really enjoyed the read Can't wait to compare the driving experience in the T with my 981 Spyder (my 997.1 GT3 maybe an unfair comparison because loaded with track-mods). May I ask what your view on RWS (in a manual T) is ? I liked it a lot in a 991.2 Targa GTS but was unsure with the T spec (finally I didn't spec it) because I thought it may take a little bit away from the challenge/reward thing I like with the 911. Also I thought diversity may be a good thing (under the impression the 911 driving dynamics come somewhat closer to the midengine dynamics if 911 is equipped with RWS - finally I have the Spyder for pure midengine fun). For a PDK equipped T it may be a different story as the RWS may compensate somewhat for the missing LSD. Would appreciate to learn your view on this - though not that it matters for my spec anymore as I'll pick up the T on Thursday :-)
I think you're gonna love it. You may miss the "engine engine engine" character of your 997.1 GT3, although you will gain in other areas—flexibility and handling being very high among them. And overall performance.

I like RAS/RWS in the bigger/heavier/more complex cars—just as I do PTV—as it is transparent and makes them nimbler. I was impressed with RAS in the T after trying it back to back with a Carrera without it, and can now go either way. It's greater responsiveness/precision/agility/stability with RAS vs greater purity/honesty/challenge/reward without RAS. You can pick one, but the other has its rewards, too.

As I said...I don't think you're gonna be bummed. Just be ready for the T's charms to be subtle coming out of a GT car. Took me a few days (weeks?) to get the GT4 out of my system and appreciate the Carrera without the GT4 as my lens.
Old 06-12-2018 | 04:12 AM
Jim55
Intermediate

Every time you spec out the T that I would order ($126k-$135k) I start comparing it to a used 991.1 GT3 (great warranty to put lots of miles on) or low spec new GTS. I’m know I could spec the T lower but I like would like to get PCCB and the Carrera T interior with yellow stitching. A few more options and I’m around $130k again, which is close to the same range as a used .1GT3 or ‘17-‘18 base GTS.
Old 06-12-2018 | 07:34 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Originally Posted by stout
I was impressed with RAS in the T after trying it back to back with a Carrera without it, and can now go either way. It's greater responsiveness/precision/agility/stability with RAS vs greater purity/honesty/challenge/reward without RAS. You can pick one, but the other has its rewards, too.
Thanks a lot for sharing your conclusion, Pete Sounds like a matter of personal preference regarding driving dynamics rather than a make or break thing then - actually you are in good companion with your assessment on RAS: Walter Röhrl said he thinks it's great that Porsche made the RAS available on the T, adding that he's sure the car without RAS would be equally great
Old 06-12-2018 | 03:25 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

easy get a 997 gt3
Old 06-12-2018 | 05:47 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
As far as I know, yes.
This one right?
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram