Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

T for daily.

GT4 everything else.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:19 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Interesting topic, as I had the same dilemma back in December. I went in pretty much intending to order a new T, but I drove a base 991 and then a GT4 back to back and there was no question in my mind what to get. I just love the NA. The only compromise with my GT4 as a daily are the carbon seats. Its kind of a pain to get in and out of, so its not good for errand running with multilple stops.

I think I would have loved the T just as much though, especially if built to my spec as I intended, but I do love the GT4!

Great photo and a gorgeous car!!!

Originally Posted by stout
Daily drove a GT4 for 2~ years, 15,000~ miles.
Been daily driving a .2 Carrera 7MT for the last 8~ months and 7000~ miles
Have tested both of the above on road and track in the course of work for Panorama and 000, and spent 800-1000 miles in Carrera Ts in France and CA.

Engine: 991.2 Carrera/T wins
991.2 Carrera/T wins hands down. GT4 3.8 had a flat spot from 3000-5500 rpm, where it "woke up." It felt turbocharged, in a way. The 3.0 does not feel turbocharged if you drive it like you would an NA engine, but has that "other dimension" if you short shift and lean on it. The 3.8 was great despite its flat spot on CA 91 gas, and made great noises, but the 3.0 is, imo, a more flexible, more powerful, and more satisfying engine in use. One is wonderful, the other an unexpected masterpiece in terms of output as well as character.

Transmission: 991.2 Carrera/T wins
The gearing in the GT4 is a fright pig. 82 in second, 112+ in third, and then 3500+ rpm all the way to LA in sixth. The **** should have said:

2-4-5
3-5-5

The 991.2 gearbox, on the other hand, has perfect ratios 1-4 for backroads, and then a super long 7th for long trips that typically drops me down to either side of 2000 rpm. It is hard to overstate how much nicer this is. The GT4 shifter is nicer, but not night and day nicer than the Carrera anymore, and the T setup closes the gap further.

Chassis: Tie, kind of...
For track work, GT4 wins handily. For fast road driving, Carrera wins. I'm a mid-engined guy, and the GT4 is excellent, but maybe not quite as interesting as the Carrera/T? I like the challenge/reward of the 911 a bit more down a backroad in this case. This logic won't hold if we were talking 987.2 Spyder vs 991.2 Carrera/T, but it does hold with the GT4. Maybe it's the R-compound tire grip, or something else, but the speed is a bit too "easy" in the GT4 on the street. On track, when dialed in, it is sublime...

Brakes: GT4, unless...
...you order PCCB on the Carrera/T. Of course, the GT4 could be had with PCCB, too.

Emotion: GT4 wins
I mean, just look at them. And then you drive them. The GT4 sounds like a race car when you're in (and on) it. Stepping out of the GT4 after nearly two years and into the Carrera, the latter felt like a sensory deprivation chamber. For a while. Then I started to notice it sounded great, too—it just didn't hit you over the head. The Carrera T is still nowhere near as loud as a GT4 inside (there's no engine under a cover RIGHT behind you with a glass hatch reflecting all of the powertrain back at you), but it is louder/more interesting sounding than the Carrera. Adding PSE to the Carrera would add some of that back in, but I have yet to regret skipping PSE. I am growing to like the level of noise in the Carrera. It's there when I want to listen for it, but goes away when I don't. When I got back into the GT4 to take it to the truck that carried it away, I couldn't believe how loud it was—and preferred the Carrera. But, if we are talking about emotion, the sounds, reflexes, steering response, grip, etc of the GT4 win out.

Living with the thing: Carrera/T
GT4 was a great car, with very strong "sense of occasion" and motorsport vibe, yet still usable every day. Would have likely been a keeper, but needed back seats. Also had mixed feelings about going to the market, dropping kids off, etc with a giant wing on the back—but the car was so good and such a tool that I didn't care if some folks thought I was a tool. All good. The Carrera still has a sense of occasion (it's a Porsche, and a really nice car), but skips the motorsport/paddock vibe for good and ill. Miss the two trunks in the GT4, but rear seats are priceless to this dad. Maybe more importantly, I feel like the Carrera/T (they're not that different in daily use) offer a greater breadth of ability. The GT4 is pretty one-dimensional but can be used as a daily. The Carrera/T is a fantastic car in every way for daily use, with few faults and none that don't befall the GT4 as well (the annoying e-brake, so-so ergonomics and PCM setup, etc)—it's 80-200% better than the GT4 as daily car (or maybe 40-100% better if you prefer really loud daily cars) while giving up very little when you're on one of those dream roads.

YMMV, but those are my impressions. I certainly don't hold them out as "truth" for someone else. We all have our preferences, and I'm pretty sure I would have kept my GT4 longterm if I didn't end up needing rear seats.

Currently working on parsing out the gap from Carrera to Carrera T for the next issue of 000 as we speak. Have my intro piece and sidebar written, but hate both. Back to the salt mines....
Great comparison and pretty much how I thought it would work out. Love the GT4 and the 911T. Like trying to pick your favorite supermodel!
Old 06-08-2018, 03:30 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there a reason for not considering a used/CPO 991.2 S?
Old 06-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,282 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Daily drove a GT4 for 2~ years, 15,000~ miles.
Been daily driving a .2 Carrera 7MT for the last 8~ months and 7000~ miles
Have tested both of the above on road and track in the course of work for Panorama and 000, and spent 800-1000 miles in Carrera Ts in France and CA.

Engine: 991.2 Carrera/T wins
991.2 Carrera/T wins hands down. GT4 3.8 had a flat spot from 3000-5500 rpm, where it "woke up." It felt turbocharged, in a way. The 3.0 does not feel turbocharged if you drive it like you would an NA engine, but has that "other dimension" if you short shift and lean on it. The 3.8 was great despite its flat spot on CA 91 gas, and made great noises, but the 3.0 is, imo, a more flexible, more powerful, and more satisfying engine in use. One is wonderful, the other an unexpected masterpiece in terms of output as well as character.

Transmission: 991.2 Carrera/T wins
The gearing in the GT4 is a fright pig. 82 in second, 112+ in third, and then 3500+ rpm all the way to LA in sixth. The **** should have said:

2-4-5
3-5-5

The 991.2 gearbox, on the other hand, has perfect ratios 1-4 for backroads, and then a super long 7th for long trips that typically drops me down to either side of 2000 rpm. It is hard to overstate how much nicer this is. The GT4 shifter is nicer, but not night and day nicer than the Carrera anymore, and the T setup closes the gap further.

Chassis: Tie, kind of...
For track work, GT4 wins handily. For fast road driving, Carrera wins. I'm a mid-engined guy, and the GT4 is excellent, but maybe not quite as interesting as the Carrera/T? I like the challenge/reward of the 911 a bit more down a backroad in this case. This logic won't hold if we were talking 987.2 Spyder vs 991.2 Carrera/T, but it does hold with the GT4. Maybe it's the R-compound tire grip, or something else, but the speed is a bit too "easy" in the GT4 on the street. On track, when dialed in, it is sublime...

Brakes: GT4, unless...
...you order PCCB on the Carrera/T. Of course, the GT4 could be had with PCCB, too.

Emotion: GT4 wins
I mean, just look at them. And then you drive them. The GT4 sounds like a race car when you're in (and on) it. Stepping out of the GT4 after nearly two years and into the Carrera, the latter felt like a sensory deprivation chamber. For a while. Then I started to notice it sounded great, too—it just didn't hit you over the head. The Carrera T is still nowhere near as loud as a GT4 inside (there's no engine under a cover RIGHT behind you with a glass hatch reflecting all of the powertrain back at you), but it is louder/more interesting sounding than the Carrera. Adding PSE to the Carrera would add some of that back in, but I have yet to regret skipping PSE. I am growing to like the level of noise in the Carrera. It's there when I want to listen for it, but goes away when I don't. When I got back into the GT4 to take it to the truck that carried it away, I couldn't believe how loud it was—and preferred the Carrera. But, if we are talking about emotion, the sounds, reflexes, steering response, grip, etc of the GT4 win out.

Living with the thing: Carrera/T
GT4 was a great car, with very strong "sense of occasion" and motorsport vibe, yet still usable every day. Would have likely been a keeper, but needed back seats. Also had mixed feelings about going to the market, dropping kids off, etc with a giant wing on the back—but the car was so good and such a tool that I didn't care if some folks thought I was a tool. All good. The Carrera still has a sense of occasion (it's a Porsche, and a really nice car), but skips the motorsport/paddock vibe for good and ill. Miss the two trunks in the GT4, but rear seats are priceless to this dad. Maybe more importantly, I feel like the Carrera/T (they're not that different in daily use) offer a greater breadth of ability. The GT4 is pretty one-dimensional but can be used as a daily. The Carrera/T is a fantastic car in every way for daily use, with few faults and none that don't befall the GT4 as well (the annoying e-brake, so-so ergonomics and PCM setup, etc)—it's 80-200% better than the GT4 as daily car (or maybe 40-100% better if you prefer really loud daily cars) while giving up very little when you're on one of those dream roads.

YMMV, but those are my impressions. I certainly don't hold them out as "truth" for someone else. We all have our preferences, and I'm pretty sure I would have kept my GT4 longterm if I didn't end up needing rear seats.

Currently working on parsing out the gap from Carrera to Carrera T for the next issue of 000 as we speak. Have my intro piece and sidebar written, but hate both. Back to the salt mines....
Great post, Pete! Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Spoke to a friend on the UK Macan Forum the other day. Your name came up and he spoke highly of you. (He's just got a 991.2 GT3 RS and has already put 1,000 miles on it!). He has persuaded me to buy my first copy of 000 when your T article is published. He said the magazine is the only one that he thinks is worthy of giving shelf space to!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:03 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Great photo and a gorgeous car!!!

Great comparison and pretty much how I thought it would work out. Love the GT4 and the 911T. Like trying to pick your favorite supermodel!
Thanks! For me, another big deciding factor is that the GT4s are still selling for more than MSRP two years later. Hopefully in 5-7 years when I am ready to move on, it will retain a higher percentage of its cost. The T might wind up being the same, but there is no way to tell on that one.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

As a future T owner i hope it holds value well. I just cant see it maintaining like a gt car, especially if they knock it out of the park with the 992, and make RAS and SPASM an option (which i think they will). The gt4 is gonna take a huge huge dump when the new ones come out with the 4.0
Old 06-08-2018, 08:52 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,255 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
The gt4 is gonna take a huge huge dump when the new ones come out with the 4.0
One can only hope...
Old 06-09-2018, 04:24 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
As a future T owner i hope it holds value well. I just cant see it maintaining like a gt car, especially if they knock it out of the park with the 992, and make RAS and SPASM an option (which i think they will). The gt4 is gonna take a huge huge dump when the new ones come out with the 4.0

As a current T owner, I hope so too. Although on target to cover around 16,000+ miles per year, I'm not expecting granite-like residuals on my T.

Not so sure about the GT4 values dropping like a stone though, when the 4.0 is released. I think that may be wishful thinking... The 991.1 GT3 prices are still looking solid, despite the introduction of the 991.2 GT3.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

It depends how many they make and whether they are unobtainium
Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Has a 992 T been confirmed, remember it was initially called a "parts car" by some.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

992 Carrera T definitely not been confirmed.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I really don't see them adding a heritage model to the normal lineup. Rather, it seems more logical that chassis upgrades will become more broadly available across the carrera lineup. I think this could impact the value of the 991T if you can spec a 992 exactly the same way minus the door straps/ gorilla glass/buckets. If this becomes true, those of us who didnt spec the buckets might experience lower resale values, despite a more limited buyer pool for bucket seats. At the end of the day, the ultimate factor on residual value will be mileage (which is not gonna be low considering the purpose of the car).
On the other hand, the two most important potential changes to the 718 GT4 (other than the 4.0 engine) would be RAS and FAL.... these would be game changers and would make it arguably the best daily/value in the lineup. It might take a few years, but the 981 could not compete if these chassis upgrades were made.

Last edited by Rennolazine; 06-09-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:23 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Having owned a GT4 and now a .2 991, there's zero question in my mind that unless track use was very high on my priority I'd rather have the 991T. And even then I might still opt that way. The turbo motor, the better interior and far superior PCM all make the car much more livable. Not to mention the transmission issues that plague the GT4.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by tstafford
Having owned a GT4 and now a .2 991, there's zero question in my mind that unless track use was very high on my priority I'd rather have the 991T. And even then I might still opt that way. The turbo motor, the better interior and far superior PCM all make the car much more livable.
Good to hear!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:45 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I could be wrong, but I think rennlist is more of a 911 community, so you'll probably get more 'get the 911' responses. I'm sure many will want to justify their purchase.

I've had a 981 and the GT4 is the gold standard of that generation. I personally didn't want the car because it has a MT and never actually drove one, but have read complaints about torque dead zones, knocking, and long gears; not established, but the theory deals with air starvation due to putting the 3.8 in the mid of chassis and long air scoops. Porsche gave it long gears to prevent it from surpassing their top dog 911. Some report that the power is lacking down low at a stop/slow speeds to the degree that its called 'hesitation.' A 3.4 (GTS, S) engine makes all the right noises and I don't think the power difference would be that obvious after you factor in the problems GT4 owners reported. The question for me becomes, why would you want a GT4? Perhaps an S or GTS model is good enough and these are also great cars. I know its kind of a moot point, but the MPG on a GT4 was so low that I actually had to stop and think...23 highway is really low by today's standards when a 991/981 can do 30 with similar power. Many GT4 owners report real MPG at 12-13 in city driving.

GT4 is a limited production/ rare car that seems some people bought for collection/value purposes. You find them with low miles, hardly used, and used for way over MSRP new. It kind of feels wrong to buy as a daily and seems owners don't really drive them much.

I'll admit that a cayman is a better 'sport/race car,' but at a trade off it is more noisy, tail happy, and twitchy. These aren't traits you want in a daily driver, but rather a third toy car. Both are noisy and fast, but the 911 is just ever so slightly more of comfortable GT car. The strength in cayman/carerra is that they aren't race cars, but rather fast normal/practical cars. I'd look into something like a locus for race/track use if you want more a thrill. I don't think a GT4 will satisfy in that regard.

I liked the NA noise in my boxster. It was a blast to drive, however you get used to the noise and become less enthusiastic about it. If I drove another car a few days, then got back into the boxster, the experience was refreshing...up until you get used to it again. I would NOT buy a car based on the noise it makes. People buy cars on emotion and noise = emotion...but some people also make poor decisions based on emotion too.

Many people see a cayman as a poor man's 911. I don't think normal people will be like 'ooo looks its a GT4'...they'll treat it no better than a base cayman. Only a porsche enthusiast will know what you're driving. Driving a 911 will get you more noticed (depends on where you live of course).

Funny thing is I test drove a 911 while owning a 981 some years ago. You can find my conclusions on P9 forums. The 911 'felt like a big car.' It didn't corner as well. It didn't feel as light weight or maneuverable. I didn't get it why someone would buy one. However given the choice today, I decided to buy a 911 because my preference has changed. I want a fast, stable, well handling GT car with small seats in the back for occasionally moving my kids. I don't want a noisy twitchy race car with lots of character. The current 911.2 has the balance just right IMO.

Quick Reply: New 911T or 2016 GT4?