Sponsored by:

New 911T or 2016 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 02:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Having owned a GT4 and now a .2 991, there's zero question in my mind that unless track use was very high on my priority I'd rather have the 991T. And even then I might still opt that way. The turbo motor, the better interior and far superior PCM all make the car much more livable. Not to mention the transmission issues that plague the GT4.
This jogged a sum up for me that I forgot to include: When I ordered the Carrera, I added PTS and PCCB in part because I've always wanted a dark green 911 and in part because I hated cleaning the silver wheels on my GT4—and in part because I was concerned a base Carrera wouldn't "feel special" after the GT4, which always felt special. Would it be too consumer after such a focused car?

Turns out, those first impressions back in Tenerife held true: The current Carrera doesn't need PTS or PCCB to feel special. It is one of the subtly best cars Porsche has produced in a long time, and the fact it doesn't get a special name makes it more appealing to me in some ways. It's very under the radar, much the way a 1987-1989 G50 911 or X73-equipped 981 is. There are other examples from Porsche history, but not many, and I'm not sure any of them exceed the current Carrera for breadth of ability and resolution. You usually need "Club Sport," or "RS," or "GTx" in the name to get find this kind of sharp/keen. It isn't perfect—you can pick at the e-brake, the perceived size, it could be a bit more vocal, the PCM is nice, but its screen use is poor—but man it's close when those are the things you are picking at.

Still, though. GT4, a truly sublime car, or 991.2 Carrera? Still wasn't sure. Just sure I needed back seats.

Then came the fires last year, which ravaged Northern California and got to about 15 miles or so from our house, which is in a tinderbox. My better half called while I was in the library at the Porsche Archive, deep in research. "Don't worry, but…" is the worst kind of call when you're far from home. With kiddo, two aging parents, pets, photographs, and documents ready to go, she asked: "Anything else you want me to take?" I thought about it for a moment, and said, "Just two things: the 914 and the watch from Jerry Sloniger." "What about the GT4?" she said, surprised. I said, "Let it burn—it's replaceable, and you have enough on your plate."

Thinking back to the same equation now, I'm not sure I would have saved the 914 over the Carrera. The only thing that even makes me question that is the fact I've had the 914 for 28 years (most of my life)—but if I get away from the sentimental stuff, the 991.2 can be enjoyed all the time, for anything and everything—and with my wife and daughter. Also: A GT4 is highly replaceable, and looks good in almost any color they made. A 991.2 Carrera 7MT with good options in a good color might actually be quite a bit rarer. Add a rarely ordered color or PTS and it's a near unicorn.

And the T is that bit sharper than the Carrera....

Don't get me wrong: I loved my GT4 and it's a fabulous track day machine—and I probably would have driven it to 200,000 miles had I not needed back seats, addressing the flat spot and gearing in time but little else. But even I have been surprised by how much more satisfying this plain Carrera is as the weeks and months and miles have passed. As a friend who also sold his GT4 says, the GT4 is a great first, second, and third date. I think a little bit of that is the GT4's handling, which is a revelation where the 911's is a challenge-reward thing.

The 991.2 Carrera/T/S is also a fun first date—and the best daily driver I've ever had. Its sporting character is always there when you want to access and explore it, but its breadth of ability is stunning. I don't miss the GT4, and I am a mid-engined guy. YMMV, and you cannot go wrong here, but that's my experience.

Last edited by stout; 06-09-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Friendly hijack of this thread.

What about a GT4 vs 2014/2015 GT3?

Weekend car, and track day's ~10 days a year.

Is it worth the 30-40% premium for the GT3? The GT3 is well below MSRP and the GT4 is only slight below.
I would go with the GT4. Only because I would be concerned with the oiling issues long term of the 991.1 3.8 GT3. However, if you plan to only keep it a couple of years, then go for the GT3 hands down. It has 10 years from in service date of warranty on the engine.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:44 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

My biggest car guy mistake was selling my GT4. Go for the GT4. It is a care to keep forever.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmk2
My biggest car guy mistake was selling my GT4. Go for the GT4. It is a care to keep forever.
^ What did you replace it with?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow Pete, your praise for the T PTS-unicorn or not makes me think about test driving one.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:07 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

stout, a new Carrera GTS.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:14 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Easy choice for me. GT4. Better yet, the Spyder.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

stout, a new Carrera GTS.
Innnnnnnnnteresting.

Not gonna be a popular view here, but the .2 GTS, while amazing in many ways (particularly in performance terms), didn't grab me. Maybe I need to spend some more time with the latest GTS, but my takeaway was, "yes, better/faster/etc," but also heavier feeling/somehow not quite as playful. But if you ask me between GT4 and .2 GTS—based on my drives in both—I might go GT4.

Originally Posted by subshooter
Easy choice for me. GT4. Better yet, the Spyder.
Or better yet, 987.2 Boxster Spyder.

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Wow Pete, your praise for the T PTS-unicorn or not makes me think about test driving one.
It's pretty famazing. Unless, that is, you are 100% opposed to forced induction. Even then, it's pretty good, but if we get into matters of philosophy over experience, well, there is no car that will cross that bridge.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:48 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Owning the GTS feels like owning a grand touring car compared to the GT4. It is much faster that the GT4. It is more comfortable than the GT4. It is even a more beautiful thing to look at.

However, it does not handle like a GT4. It doesn't stir the soul like a GT4.

GT4 is truly something for the ages. For me, a car that could stay in my garage forever.

There is no substitute for Porsche's mid-engine layout.

If you are reading Porsche, give us an unabriged version of the GT3RS motor in the Cayman platform. Make what your founder intended. Progress.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
It's pretty famazing. Unless, that is, you are 100% opposed to forced induction. Even then, it's pretty good, but if we get into matters of philosophy over experience, well, there is no car that will cross that bridge.
Used to be with 3 NA C2Ss and GTS..Now with a TTS not so much Seriously, feels like I should look at them. I love MTs, so it would be more fair to drive a PDK. Do you think what you have said would still stay, if PDK?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Owning the GTS feels like owning a grand touring car compared to the GT4. It is much faster that the GT4. It is more comfortable than the GT4. It is even a more beautiful thing to look at.

However, it does not handle like a GT4. It doesn't stir the soul like a GT4.

GT4 is truly something for the ages. For me, a car that could stay in my garage forever.

There is no substitute for Porsche's mid-engine layout.

If you are reading Porsche, give us an unabriged version of the GT3RS motor in the Cayman platform. Make what your founder intended. Progress.
Yep, hear you—though I think the Carrera/T just avoid some of that Grand Tourer feel I also perceived in the GTS. Great way of putting it. And I mean the Carrera/T just avoid it. Might be as small a thing as the rear width and a bit of weight.

Not sure the GT4 platform is ready for the 500-hp 4.0, but I'd sure like to try it. Maybe it would be a little out of hand, much the way the CGT was. If so, sign me up. In the meantime, I'd settle for either the 991.2 3.0 Carrera drivetrain (which won't fit) or a totally unhinged 3.4 based on the last GT3 3.8 engine with shorter gears 1-5 and a longer 7th.

The 385-hp 3.8 always left me a bit cold. Wonderful? Yes. But the chassis outshone it by some measure...
Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Used to be with 3 NA C2Ss and GTS..Now with a TTS not so much Seriously, feels like I should look at them. I love MTs, so it would be more fair to drive a PDK. Do you think what you have said would still stay, if PDK?
Feels like you should, then. For sure.

Drove a T with PDK and RAS, and man what a treat of a car. PDK just goes sooooooo well with that engine. Yet, I would never order it, personally. The latest 7MT is just such a joy around town and all the time—even just ever so slightly snick-snicky in a good way. Makes the car more interactive, which is what I place a premium on in a street car. And the T's shorter-throw 7MT is nicer still....

What do you have to lose? I love the 991.2 Turbo/S, but every time I drive a Carrera/S/T I wonder, do I need more in or from a street car?
Old 06-10-2018, 10:07 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

GT4 would benefit from a few improvements:

1. A true 4.0L RS motor
2. True wide body. I could even live with an old-school bolted up fender flare set.
3. PDK
4. more carbon fiber to reduce weight
5. more appropriate gearing

Many of us would be willing to pay significantly more than the first generation car for such a thing.

thank you all for reading the obvious

Last edited by dmk2; 06-10-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:26 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
. . .every time I drive a Carrera/S/T I wonder, do I need more in or from a street car?
I agree 100%
Old 06-10-2018, 11:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,776 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Any 911 is better than any Cayman/Boxster.

Quick Reply: New 911T or 2016 GT4?