Sponsored by:

Value of a Desirable PTS color on a Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:23 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Value of a Desirable PTS color on a Carrera

This topic came up in the HFS thread a few days ago. What do you think the value of a PTS color is over a regular color, given a 991 Carrera (non-GT) car? There have been a few for sale recently, and it seems asking price is around $10-13k over a comparable "regular" color. How much of that is affected by color desirability (say, Gulf or Voodoo vs pastel orange?). I would wager to say that a nice PTS color will at least hold it's PTS option cost, but is it too much to say that it derives a premium beyond that number? Are Carrera owners willing to pay a PTS premium? It seems that a PTS GT car will hold that $10-15k edge over a "regular" color.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:26 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I think you've summed it up pretty well

Yes, will hold it's option $ in a Carrera and same with GT cars plus a few grand more possibly. PTS $ has been jacked up quite a bit by PAG though to offset and $$ benefit at resale. Totally dependent on color though in both cases.

Classic blues and greens are tops.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

I think it will hold value as long as you don't go for sepia AKA sh*t brown
Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Not sure why, but I wouldn't pay a dime to get it on a Carrera but I'd love to have it on a GT car. Illogical but it's how I feel.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:49 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Rarer colors generally affect liquidity more than desireability/value. So you can get more for it, but you might have to wait longer for the right buyer who needs that color in order to to get it. If you must sell right now, you might take a hit.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Viper Green (on a C4 'S') is worth an extra $30K
Old 06-02-2018, 11:08 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

PTS Colors always command a premium of at least the (previous) cost of admission of 7k and usually close to 15k. It was the best deal on the Porsche menu as it was one of the only options that was guaranteed to hold its value and usually help the seller recoup 5-10k more than they paid for it. Porsche got smart and just jacked the price up for PTS 100%.

What will happen now is anyones guess. I am hoping that because PTS now costs 12k that PTS cars will command a 20-24k premium as they commanded a 10-15k premium when the cost was 7k. One thing or sure is that a PTS car equally equipped with a tock color will always be able to command more. If a buyer wants something unique they will pay up.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:49 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I wouldn't pay a premium at all. They are used cars at that point . .

But I absolutely would not buy a new one and select PTS with the idea of what is going to be the resale and even think about what happens when I sell it. Whatever happens at the next ownership just happens. I am not purchasing a new car for the next owner. Porsche or any other brand.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I must disagree. Everything I purchase, whether its a house, a car or a watch, I purchase with the thought that one day I will/might have to sell it. Thats just the way I am.
I consider what the resale might be and try to buy it "right". A billionaire Real Estate guy once told me "in any transaction, all of the money is made on the buy side."
Basically, buy anything at the right price and you can get out. Overpay and you are doomed.

In the case of PTS, the car is more valuable because A: it is more rare. B: there are less of them C: there is an increased cost associated with the PTS.

Just like the limited production Porsche vehicles, they appreciate greater and more quickly because there are fewer of them.

And now with the doubling by Porsche to increase PTS prices, the cars with PTS will be even more rare and worth more on resale because of increased cost and lower production.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:59 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I must disagree. Everything I purchase, whether its a house, a car or a watch, I purchase with the thought that one day I will/might have to sell it. Thats just the way I am.
I consider what the resale might be and try to buy it "right". A billionaire Real Estate guy once told me "in any transaction, all of the money is made on the buy side."
Basically, buy anything at the right price and you can get out. Overpay and you are doomed.

In the case of PTS, the car is more valuable because A: it is more rare. B: there are less of them C: there is an increased cost associated with the PTS.

Just like the limited production Porsche vehicles, they appreciate greater and more quickly because there are fewer of them.

And now with the doubling by Porsche to increase PTS prices, the cars with PTS will be even more rare and worth more on resale because of increased cost and lower production.
Your logic and info is so screwed up it's not even funny. Will respond later when I have time.

Name:  photo464.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  137.4 KB

Ask your billionaire friend if cars are good investments too.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:04 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
A billionaire Real Estate guy once told me "in any transaction, all of the money is made on the buy side."

Duh. Isn't this common sense?? How much $$ did you waste on that seminar?
Old 06-03-2018, 11:05 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I would love to discuss/debate this with you as I did quite a bit of research on the subject before ordering my car with PTS.
I also spoke to the owner of the Dealership, who happens to not only be my good friend but, also a business associate in another business, who told me in his experience selling Porsches for over 20 years, the PTS cars sell quicker and for more money on the used/preowned market and that the price you pay for PTS is easily covered and/or doubled on resale.

In simple terms, something that is more rare is usually more valuable. Of course a hot pink 911 would not be as easy to sell as a BLACK but, it would still technically be worth more because there are fewer of them and the cost associated with the PTS option. Finding a buyer would take time, but if someone wants a hot pink 911 then they will surely pay the premium to buy it rather than strip it and custom paint it.

its no different than Ceramic brakes, or leather or whatever.. if the option originally cost more then a vehicle with any such option is worth more on resale. How can this even be argued? Why do you think Porsche doubled the cost of PTS? Did the cost of paint or labor double?
Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

STG: Listen, if you want to discuss something like an adult and intelligently then stop writing like a jerk off.
I saw the posts you made on the Sticky thread and you behave like a child. I'm 50 years old, college educated and love interesting discussions.
Feel free to discuss this and enter your position supported by facts or even opinion. I would love to see other viewpoints.

I didnt pay for any seminar, I was having lunch with a bunch of successful Real Estate developers in NYC and this was a comment that stuck with me.
Obvious to you perhaps, but at the time it was very powerful to me.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:13 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Not sure why, but I wouldn't pay a dime to get it on a Carrera but I'd love to have it on a GT car. Illogical but it's how I feel.
Funny, and 100% as illogical (and maybe less intelligent, from a resale standpoint), I could do without PTS on a GT car where I felt strongly about it on a Carrera. Go figure...

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I wouldn't pay a premium at all. They are used cars at that point . .

But I absolutely would not buy a new one and select PTS with the idea of what is going to be the resale and even think about what happens when I sell it. Whatever happens at the next ownership just happens. I am not purchasing a new car for the next owner. Porsche or any other brand.
^ And there's the market reality when it comes to PTS.

The rarity of PTS speaks to how the market, in general, values PTS. Most people like the idea of "any color they want," but fewer are willing to pay extra for it. It stands to reason that such views will carry over, to a greater or lesser effect, upon resale. I'd never want to bet one way or the other on "greater or lesser," or make predictions.

Popular PTS colors may do well on resale. Other PTS colors may do okay, if the right buyer(s) come along or the car is otherwise highly desirable for some reason. Hot Pink or Sepia will likely be "sale-proof"...meaning hard to move at any price, even one under that of a black or silver car. I know which one I'd rather have, and it wouldn't be the PTS car. Then you have other factors, like miles, condition, etc .

I guess I view PTS the same way I view "fun cars": It's best to buy what you like and will enjoy.

Are you looking for price, or value? Both, you say? Know that they may be at odds with one another...
Old 06-03-2018, 11:15 AM
STG
Race Director

Have you seen resale on PTS 991.2 GT3's? They are selling for no more than the .1's and PTS cost has doubled.

Porsche is smarter than you and figured they would put the advantage in their court. They saw what PTS was doing at resale and now are taking the juice on that part. You're lucky to just recoup your cost on it.

PTS is getting bigger and more common. The special part of it is getting less and less.

PCCB?? 100% depreciation

A bunch of CXX leather? Like 90% depreciation.

Quick Reply: Value of a Desirable PTS color on a Carrera