Sponsored by:

Value of a Desirable PTS color on a Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:19 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
STG: Listen, if you want to discuss something like an adult and intelligently then stop writing like a jerk off.
I saw the posts you made on the Sticky thread and you behave like a child. I'm 50 years old, college educated and love interesting discussions.
Feel free to discuss this and enter your position supported by facts or even opinion. I would love to see other viewpoints.

I didnt pay for any seminar, I was having lunch with a bunch of successful Real Estate developers in NYC and this was a comment that stuck with me.
Obvious to you perhaps, but at the time it was very powerful to me.

Start making some intelligent comments then instead of behaving like a child yourself. 50 years old and college educated?? Great you're the average Rennlister. How does that justify any sort of expertise on this subject??

My comments on Mr. Sticky? Seriously??
Old 06-03-2018, 11:21 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 630 Likes on 344 Posts

STG: Hold on.. I am not discussing the value of a specific model and how it is selling for more or less than a different model.
I am discussing the resale value of a PTS vehicle vs an Identical non PTS vehicle. A .1 vs .2 GT3 is an entirely different discussion.

In your own words "They saw what PTS was doing at resale and now are taking the juice on that part. You're lucky to just recoup your cost on it."

So, what you are saying and correct me if I am wrong, is that Porsche saw that PTS cars were getting a premium on resale and decided to charge more to "take their juice".

I dont disagree with you. I cannot figure out why they would charge double for it unless they knew they could and that it was justified.
I think it has to do with the influx on demand for PTS, and the limited amount of manpower to do it. By charging more they hope to get less requests and limit the backlog.
The fact that the cars get more on resale isnt Porsches concern, I think they wanted to keep it more special, limit requests, limit backlog and of course, make more profit.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

In the case of PTS, the car is more valuable because A: it is more rare. B: there are less of them C: there is an increased cost associated with the PTS.
Being rare and being associated with an increased cost do nothing to value. Only being rare and wanted by more people than can have it brings increased value.

While there are some great PTS colors out there are will certainly bring a significant bump, there are honestly a lot of crap PTS colors too that will negatively impact resale. Yet these colors are just as rare and came with your increased cost.

And now with the doubling by Porsche to increase PTS prices, the cars with PTS will be even more rare and worth more on resale because of increased cost and lower production.
Sounds like extremely wishful thinking. I highly doubt PTS resale values will change much.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:27 AM
STG
Race Director

STG: Hold on.. I am not discussing the value of a specific model and how it is selling for more or less than a different model.
I am discussing the resale value of a PTS vehicle vs an Identical non PTS vehicle. A .1 vs .2 GT3 is an entirely different discussion.

PTS is getting no more at resale on .2 GT3's than they did on .1's when the price was 50% of what it is now.

My point, the resale on PTS will not increase as the option cost has increased.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:29 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Being rare and being associated with an increased cost do nothing to value. Only being rare and wanted by more people than can have it brings increased value.

While there are some great PTS colors out there are will certainly bring a significant bump, there are honestly a lot of crap PTS colors too that will negatively impact resale. Yet these colors are just as rare and came with your increased cost.Sounds like extremely wishful thinking. I highly doubt PTS resale values will change much.

Exactly. There are like 5 PTS colors that actually do well at resale. Most do no better or worse than standard color offerings.

I've seen plenty of PTS colors that sold less than a silver or black car.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:31 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Precisely.

Porsche didn't make many 930 Turbo Targa Slantnoses. A friend files these under "Rare, but who cares?" I suspect they're one of if not the rarest of the 930 variants. But until the recent Porsche madness (and maybe even today), I bet a Turbo Targa Slantnose wasn't easy to move—and went for less than a similar coupe or Cabriolet.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:31 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Dewinator: So you are saying that "great" PTS colors will bring a premium but, "crap" PTS will negatively impact sale. Is your personal opinion of what is great and what is crap what will determine if a car sells for more or less? I being facetious. My point is that if you can agree that a "great" PTS color demands a premium then the reality is that ANY PTS color will demand a premium because what one man thinks is crap another thinks is great. None of us all unanimously agree that a specific PTS color is great or crap. Whoever ordered that "crap" color certainly didnt think it was crap when he ordered it and paid a premium to get it, he thought it was fantastic. That being said, I may think certain colors are great and would be willing to pay a premium while you may look at the same car and be unwilling to.

"Sounds like extremely wishful thinking. I highly doubt PTS resale values will change much."

Maybe you're right. But if the cost of PTS goes from 7k to 14k (or whatever it is) then why wouldn't that increase translate into a higher resale for PTS? To me it only seems logical that if I wanted to order a "Miami Blue 2019" and the cost is 14k more, that I would certainly be willing to pay 7-14k more for a preowned in that very color if I was looking at used.

maybe thats just me, I dont know..
Old 06-03-2018, 11:35 AM
STG
Race Director

PTS-BRG

What is your build and what PTS color did you get??
Old 06-03-2018, 11:36 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

STG: You stated "PTS is getting no more at resale on .2 GT3's than they did on .1's when the price was 50% of what it is now."

But, not a single PTS car at the new price point has even sold yet and the vast majority of buyers of preowned dont even know the price has doubled.
It will take time for the marketplace to digest the new pricing before it translates into the preowned market. My guess is that in one year from today, the public will be aware that PTS costs $14,000 and it will translate into higher resale for preowned PTS cars.

My opinion on the subject..
Old 06-03-2018, 11:36 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

"What is your build and what PTS color did you get??"

Pepto Bismol Pink and I love it!!
Old 06-03-2018, 11:38 AM
STG
Race Director

"What is your build and what PTS color did you get??"

Pepto Bismol Pink and I love it!!

You're debating the point and obviously influenced your purchase. Post it then.

You haven't even done an intro thread.

We just don't want to read up on your custom DIY PTS key fob
Old 06-03-2018, 11:41 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

But if the cost of PTS goes from 7k to 14k (or whatever it is) then why wouldn't that increase translate into a higher resale for PTS? To me it only seems logical that if I wanted to order a "Miami Blue 2019" and the cost is 14k more, that I would certainly be willing to pay 7-14k more for a preowned in that very color if I was looking at used.
I ordered a dark green via PTS, and (obviously) would pay a premium for a used 911 in that color.

But I'm not sure the logic above tracks with reality in the resale market. By that logic, PCCB should add 50-100% of its option price to the price of a used car. While I could justify 50-100% of its option price on a used car, I would expect something closer to 0-25% from most buyers given what I've seen. YMMV...there is no crystal ball on this stuff, only anecdote and predictions.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:41 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Pepto Targa
Old 06-03-2018, 11:42 AM
STG
Race Director

STG: You stated "PTS is getting no more at resale on .2 GT3's than they did on .1's when the price was 50% of what it is now."

But, not a single PTS car at the new price point has even sold yet and the vast majority of buyers of preowned dont even know the price has doubled.
It will take time for the marketplace to digest the new pricing before it translates into the preowned market. My guess is that in one year from today, the public will be aware that PTS costs $14,000 and it will translate into higher resale for preowned PTS cars.

My opinion on the subject..

Yes, plenty of PTS cars are for sale and have flipped, and yes everyone knows what the new PTS $ is in these circles.

The average buyer is turned off by most of these colors.

Other than a few greens and blues, the rest of PTS isn't good for resale. Buy what you like and don't worry about building a car for the next guy.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:43 AM
STG
Race Director

Pepto Targa

???

What this? State the facts and stop the jokes you criticize me for.

Quick Reply: Value of a Desirable PTS color on a Carrera