Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of a Desirable PTS color on a Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 12:05 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Simply put, It’s like any other option (or lack thereof, that determines the msrp) and will have an effect/impact on resale value. In theory, 991.2 PTS cars should become more rare given the increase in the option price helping older PTS car values as well. How much a buyer is willing to pay for said options is an entirely different story.

My .02.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:05 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Well I would think the green should do alright on resale since it was a classic Porsche color and they don’t have any normal greens anymore.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

If you're concerned about resale, your build isn't going to fair well $$ dollar wise.

Total $$ depreciation will be more than say a standard colored Targa with a $140K build.

Want a build with lowest total $$ cost of ownership, look at Stout's car. He'll lose 1/3 of total $$ than you at resale with 99.9% of the enjoyment experience.

He has a better billionaire real estate friend than you
Old 06-03-2018, 12:10 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

STG: I dont disagree with you here. I certainly overbuilt my car to the point that my resale will be diminished because the build went so crazy.
Thats why I cant really concern myself with the resale, I just feel that the PTS option was the one choice that will help support the cars value.

The best cars for resale are the ones with the least options and base models. That has been established forever.
The best Diamonds are the ones that are big with many flaws as you get all the show and lower cost and get into the game with the flash and little cash.
Same with cars. A guy who wants a 911 and wants to get into the brand will buy the cheapest car to say/show he has a 911 and the vast majority of public just sees Porsche.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
STG: I dont disagree with you here. I certainly overbuilt my car to the point that my resale will be diminished because the build went so crazy.
Thats why I cant really concern myself with the resale, I just feel that the PTS option was the one choice that will help support the cars value.

The best cars for resale are the ones with the least options and base models. That has been established forever.
The best Diamonds are the ones that are big with many flaws as you get all the show and lower cost and get into the game with the flash and little cash.
Same with cars. A guy who wants a 911 and wants to get into the brand will buy the cheapest car to say/show he has a 911 and the vast majority of public just sees Porsche.

Logic and common sense prevail.

Enjoy your car!!
Old 06-03-2018, 12:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by oalvarez
Simply put, It’s like any other option (or lack thereof, that determines the msrp) and will have an effect/impact on resale value. In theory, 991.2 PTS cars should become more rare given the increase in the option price helping older PTS car values as well. How much a buyer is willing to pay for said options is an entirely different story.

My .02.

Correct. .1 cars will benefit.

PTS is as strong as ever. They'll be churning them out as much as they can and price $$ hasn't hurt demand. Look how many PTS Macans and Pannys you see too. It's getting more popular.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by oalvarez
How much a buyer is willing to pay for said options is an entirely different story.

Best comment yet
Old 06-03-2018, 12:23 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Well I would think the green should do alright on resale since it was a classic Porsche color and they don’t have any normal greens anymore.
I think so too.

ps: @PTS-BRG good looking Targa! Congrats,
STG
Race Director

Porsche should take lessons from BMW, Audi, and McLaren to name a few on easily executed custom colors.

They're really dropping the ball and just plain bad management
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

STG: You are correct that the PTS trend is strong, too strong. Thats why Porsche is trying to reel it in by making it twice as expensive in an effort to:

1. Make more profit per car
2. Keep the PTS as a "special" option
3. Lower the Demand and their workload and backlogs

Whether the new price has hurt demand is to be seen as not even ONE car has been shipped with the new price point yet.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:25 PM
STG
Race Director

.2 GT3's are all new PTS $$ which got increased before the Carrera's.

A good case study as I noted!!

The resale $$ advantage has been chipped away by Porsche benefiting. PTS cars aren't getting more than $15K when flipping.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:26 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

My friend ordered a .2 GT3 and his price sheet shows the old price. That one I might be able to post up as proof, or maybe a screen shot.. Hold on..

EDIT: He ordered a GT2RS in Chalk, not GT3 in PTS
Old 06-03-2018, 12:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Anyway, have a good Sunday guys. I'm outta here to do something more fun than discuss PTS.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I also spoke to the owner of the Dealership, who happens to not only be my good friend but, also a business associate in another business, who told me in his experience selling Porsches for over 20 years, the PTS cars sell quicker and for more money on the used/preowned market
By the way, let us know what the good friend says when the car has 10K miles or less on it in 1-2 yrs and time for a trade

"You know, colors like these have a more limited audience, sit longer, should have gone with black interior, car has too many options, you went nuts on bad resale options, competing against $140K Targa builds, blah, blah. The typical dealer story. We can offer you $105K on trade in for your next $180K++ Turbo S or 992 Targa. Both of which you're getting the only allocation left, and can only get a 1-2% discount, but these are very rare and have great resale. Porsche's only appreciate. It's all how you buy them, that's the secret. I've been doing this for over 20yrs friend

We'll see who you're calling "jerk off" then!

Billionaire friend, what could I have done with $60K in cash invested vs. buying my Targa??

You must have missed some of the conversation, don't waste money on cars if you want to build wealth. You must have been staring at the waitresses *** during that point.

I never buy new cars and stay away from high depreciating assets including ex-wives.

Last edited by STG; 06-03-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:22 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Want a build with lowest total $$ cost of ownership, look at Stout's car. He'll lose 1/3 of total $$ than you at resale with 99.9% of the enjoyment experience.

He has a better billionaire real estate friend than you
Ha. I'm just lucky I didn't have a hankering for a Targa, or a Cabriolet, or a C4S, etc. Not sure how the Carrera will do, but not expecting it to do anywhere near as well as my GT4 did—which certainly lost value because I actually drove the thing, putting 14,700~ miles on it before selling it to get the Carrera. No regrets on the GT4, and no regrets on a PTS Carrera. It's a privilege to be driving any of these cars.

Have a great Sunday!

Quick Reply: Value of a Desirable PTS color on a Carrera