Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Series 911 More Comfortable To Drive Than 997 Series Car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 03:04 AM
Slapshot1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 Series 911 More Comfortable To Drive Than 997 Series Car?

I've been considering purchase of a 2012 (997.2) Carrera 4 GTS. However, what I started out wanting was a great sport touring car. I wanted performance, but also real comfort. The difficult part is, there aren't a lot of those, and most are made in Great Britain and Italy and either cost way too much, aren't reliable or well made, or all of the above.

I have ended up looking at Porsche cars because I know how well designed and built they are, and their reliability. A couple friends, longstanding and significant members of the local Porsche club have advised me against buying any 997 series because they are simply too track oriented, and advised me to wait until I can afford a 991 series Carrera 4S saying they can be set up for a much greater degree of comfort for daily driving.

Am I getting the right information? This car would be a daily driver at least seven months of the year. Thanks for any help with this.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:26 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's more comfortable.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:38 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Comparing 991 with 997 the 991 is more comfortable. Just like the 997 is more comfortable over the 996.

The 997 is certainly not (to) track oriented and will also make a fine daily driver. Assuming you are not stepping into a GT3 (RS).
Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Would disagree with your friends. A 997 is no way track oriented at all....assuming normal Carrera models.

Having said that, no doubt the 991 is more comfortable. The longer wheelbase smooths out the ride. There is more sound deadening and more interior space.

Now, having said THAT, it's not a Lexus or a Mercedes. There is plenty of road noise, and it's still a sports car. You're going to feel the impacts, it's low to get in and out of, it has **** cup holders and a small trunk. So don't expect it to be like a 6 series coupé or anything GT oriented. It gets called the GT here as a tongue in cheek jab by the older Car crowd, but it's not a GT. It's still a sports car. For better and worse.

I think by your description you'd be better off in a 6 series, an E Class Coupe, an S5, maybe a Lexus RC. Those are GT Sports Tourers.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Would disagree with your friends. A 997 is no way track oriented at all....assuming normal Carrera models.

Having said that, no doubt the 991 is more comfortable. The longer wheelbase smooths out the ride. There is more sound deadening and more interior space.

Now, having said THAT, it's not a Lexus or a Mercedes. There is plenty of road noise, and it's still a sports car. You're going to feel the impacts, it's low to get in and out of, it has **** cup holders and a small trunk. So don't expect it to be like a 6 series coupé or anything GT oriented. It gets called the GT here as a tongue in cheek jab by the older Car crowd, but it's not a GT. It's still a sports car. For better and worse.

I think by your description you'd be better off in a 6 series, an E Class Coupe, an S5, maybe a Lexus RC. Those are GT Sports Tourers.
+1

I’ve owned a 996, a 997, and a 991. The 991 is the most comfortable by far. The 997 is a great car, but the interior is smaller, the design is dated, and the ride is not as nice as the 991.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 404 Posts

Comfort. It is all relative. My 991.2 is comfortable to drive but it is not a sport sedan or a highway cruiser. Nor is it quiet with lots of space for storage. Sure is fun to drive though.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:06 PM
Slapshot1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Thanks for your input. And I don't disagree with your conclusions. I've looked at all of them, and others. An SL63 AMG was a contender until I talked to five independent Mercedes repair shops and they told me that the price I paid for the car would be the cheapest part of my investment. An S5 isn't quite enough to satisfy me, its a very nice car, just a category below where I want to be. I did check out an R8, and thats simply too far performance oriented to be an every day car. I test drove two Lexus RC, and that was nearly the answer, but they have a performance issue with their transmission and drivetrain interplay that would rive me crazy, and has resulted in the sale of three cars I personally know of. A Lexus LC500 would probably be ideal, but they are out of my price range by a lot. I've also test driven two different Maserati Gran Turismos, and while I really enjoyed them, the mushy brakes, and some other things just make them a no go. As far as BMW 6 series cars, those have been universally considered the single worst class of cars BMW ever made. Even the M6's got trashed in reviews. Too big, too heavy, inadequate performance, and less than expected handling quality. And I'm a big BMW guy too, but no way would I go near a six series. And so, I ended up looking at Porsche 911's by default, with everything else simply failing to make the cut, and out of the great respect I have for Porsche design, build quality, performance and reliability. And I do understand they are hardly sports touring cars, I'm simply running out of options. And, agreed, either a 997.2 model now, or a 991 model a bit later, when I have more funding, may certainly not be an ideal option either. .
Old 05-30-2018, 05:20 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Between yesterday and today you could have just driven one of each, and then you would know. Might as well, there is after all no other way.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 PM
13mit
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slapshot1
Thanks for your input. And I don't disagree with your conclusions. I've looked at all of them, and others. An SL63 AMG was a contender until I talked to five independent Mercedes repair shops and they told me that the price I paid for the car would be the cheapest part of my investment. An S5 isn't quite enough to satisfy me, its a very nice car, just a category below where I want to be. I did check out an R8, and thats simply too far performance oriented to be an every day car. I test drove two Lexus RC, and that was nearly the answer, but they have a performance issue with their transmission and drivetrain interplay that would rive me crazy, and has resulted in the sale of three cars I personally know of. A Lexus LC500 would probably be ideal, but they are out of my price range by a lot. I've also test driven two different Maserati Gran Turismos, and while I really enjoyed them, the mushy brakes, and some other things just make them a no go. As far as BMW 6 series cars, those have been universally considered the single worst class of cars BMW ever made. Even the M6's got trashed in reviews. Too big, too heavy, inadequate performance, and less than expected handling quality. And I'm a big BMW guy too, but no way would I go near a six series. And so, I ended up looking at Porsche 911's by default, with everything else simply failing to make the cut, and out of the great respect I have for Porsche design, build quality, performance and reliability. And I do understand they are hardly sports touring cars, I'm simply running out of options. And, agreed, either a 997.2 model now, or a 991 model a bit later, when I have more funding, may certainly not be an ideal option either. .
You're looking at very different classes of cars. An M6 or any 6 series car is not even comparable to a 911 nor are the Lexus LC500 or Maseratis. All of those are much heavier, more sports touring style vehicles. And if you're looking for comfort on long drives, that's the type of car you should probably go with.

You mentioned you looked at a S5...why not a RS5? That seems like it would fit your bill exactly. Either that or even an RS7. Both have very decent power and are super comfortable to drive.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 970 Posts

Not sure about your price range, but what about an Aston Martin Vantage V8?
Old 05-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

I cannot speak to the comfort of the 997 because I have only autocrossed it, not really done any long trips on it. However, for the 991, I have done many weekend trips and have found it to be quite comfortable. If comfort is a priority, seek out a PDCC equipped car, stick with PASM instead of SPASM, and consider Bose over base and the get the wonderful Burmester if you can find one so equipped.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Received 1,098 Likes on 596 Posts

I just traded in a 997 C4S for a 991 GTS two weeks ago and I enjoy the 991 comfort and quietness but I miss the visceral feel of being in a smaller package that the 997 had. The 991 is a bigger car. The 997 more like a go kart. I know the 991 is faster and more capable but the 997 feels more connected especially with a 6 speed. The 991 certainly will be less fatiguing on long drives.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:04 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 404 Posts

I don’t mean to insult anyone but I can’t understand why folks would ask total strangers on a forum to help them decide to buy a 100k car. A test drive or several would resolve this easily. Either you like it and can live it or not. Same with options. Opinions all over the place and mostly unhelpful. Full of personal bias. Paint schemes, colors, options etc. are personal. Do the research and then decide what you want to buy.
FWIW, I bought my 991.2 4S with the colors and options I wanted with no input from anyone. Not even my spouse. That way I don’t have anyone to blame but myself.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:06 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Between yesterday and today you could have just driven one of each, and then you would know. Might as well, there is after all no other way.
Agreed. No other way to learn for yourself. I had a 996, 997.2 and currently have a 991.1. the 991.1 is significantly more “comfortable” than the 996 and 997.2, but that’s relative since we are comparing 911s. That said, you may drive a well maintained (no worn shocks, control arm bushings etc.) and love a 997.2 and think that is comfortable. I would just drive them.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,098 Likes on 5,261 Posts

991 Series 911 More Comfortable To Drive Than 997 Series Car?

Is water wet?

Quick Reply: 991 Series 911 More Comfortable To Drive Than 997 Series Car?