991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

530WHP 991.2 BOOSTADDICT STAGE 1 REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018 | 02:35 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry to see this mess (and it is a mess). I'll agree with most here - put the car back to stock (if you can). It's a $$ lesson.

<soapbox>
I suspect that the engineers at Porsche who know something about the software on these cars would warn you off of flashing the ECU. This isn't like the old days (90s) where only a few static curves controlled timing and fuel-air ratios; there are now myriad feedback loops and real-time adjustments to combustion charges based on load and sensors. I'm not sure anyone outside of Porsche could even reliably alter the ECU software without causing problems somewhere in the software. Sure, a clever person can figure out where a few things are in the code and make adjustments - but without the original source (which I'd be surprised if Porsche shares) - what are the chances there are no side effects?

If you want 530 whp, buy a Turbo/Turbo S. That's why they make 'em :-)
</soapbox>
Old 05-28-2018 | 02:46 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Lets not turn this into a "dont tune" thread. For every nightmare story I can show you 3 tuned cars you would die to drive.
Bad apples exist in all businesses.

Paypal is a tough way to go, but they are historically pro buyer and anti seller. My advise would be to CALL THEM on the phone
and get a human supervisor on the line who can go to bat for you. Be calm and rational and ask for a freeze on the funds and return of parts.
Old 05-28-2018 | 02:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
I'm sorry to see this mess (and it is a mess). I'll agree with most here - put the car back to stock (if you can). It's a $$ lesson.

<soapbox>
I suspect that the engineers at Porsche who know something about the software on these cars would warn you off of flashing the ECU. This isn't like the old days (90s) where only a few static curves controlled timing and fuel-air ratios; there are now myriad feedback loops and real-time adjustments to combustion charges based on load and sensors. I'm not sure anyone outside of Porsche could even reliably alter the ECU software without causing problems somewhere in the software. Sure, a clever person can figure out where a few things are in the code and make adjustments - but without the original source (which I'd be surprised if Porsche shares) - what are the chances there are no side effects?

If you want 530 whp, buy a Turbo/Turbo S. That's why they make 'em :-)
</soapbox>
There I will disagree with you.

In any modern turbocharged car, there is always some compromise baked into the system. After all it has to work in a Maine winter and a Dubai summer without being retuned. There is also headroom.

Having said that, it's difficult to explore that space without making the car go wacky. It's easy to increase power while screwing something up. Much harder to make a tune that performs like stick but just has more
Performance. But it can be done.

That's why you go with a reputable tuner with a history of satisfied clients and handling issues. And you're gonna pay for it. You gotta pay to play.
Old 05-28-2018 | 02:55 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Going back to stock ASAP is good advice. You went with a less than honorable guy on an unproven tune. Look where it got you. Folks have been making Cobb crazy for the tune but they have waited to do the work needed to avoid these problems.
As far as tuning goes this is not a lesson on tuning but choosing a quality vendor, whether it be tune or any other part on your car. When Cobb is ready you shouldn't need to change turbos on an S to get the hp you want.
I have the Cobb tune on my TTS with no issues other than the car is faster.
This is a costly lesson to learn about doing research on what you chose to do to your car and from who you choose to buy from.
Old 05-28-2018 | 03:00 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC17_Rated
This isn't helpful at all. And if who I think it is it's par for the course.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
There I will disagree with you.

In any modern turbocharged car, there is always some compromise baked into the system. After all it has to work in a Maine winter and a Dubai summer without being retuned. There is also headroom.

Having said that, it's difficult to explore that space without making the car go wacky. It's easy to increase power while screwing something up. Much harder to make a tune that performs like stick but just has more
Performance. But it can be done.

That's why you go with a reputable tuner with a history of satisfied clients and handling issues. And you're gonna pay for it. You gotta pay to play.
I agree with this that is why if it sounds too good or looks like a great way to save money run as fast as you can. Go with the best and proven tuners that will stand behind their product and its install.
Old 05-28-2018 | 03:02 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC17_Rated
No. The lesson is this. Fast - Cheap - reliable.... pick 2.

And there is one area I was wrong... I guess we'll never know about additional lag in this tune since all you get is stumble... great compromise.
Actually it's pick 1 and that's reliable.
Don't get caught up on lag. Like I said I have the Cobb tune in my car and it did not create any additional lag. He picked a poor tuner that doesn't know what he is doing.
Old 05-28-2018 | 03:15 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

This is why people are waiting for the Cobb tune.

It's also too early in the game to be swapping turbos. Let others be the Guinea Pigs.
Old 05-28-2018 | 03:15 PM
soler18
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Actually it's pick 1 and that's reliable.
Don't get caught up on lag. Like I said I have the Cobb tune in my car and it did not create any additional lag. He picked a poor tuner that doesn't know what he is doing.
the tuning is the problem, as sticky admits many times , Alex@gintani tuned my car the same as sticky’s car which is a base model carrera, the problem is my car is a Carrera S which is causing the faults, I asked him for a refund since Alex would need to tune my car in person and dyno it and develop the Carrera S tune, sticky States on his forums the tune is for all models and works fine which is a lie and is breaking my car day by day...
Old 05-28-2018 | 03:29 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soler18
the tuning is the problem, as sticky admits many times , Alex@gintani tuned my car the same as sticky’s car which is a base model carrera, the problem is my car is a Carrera S which is causing the faults, I asked him for a refund since Alex would need to tune my car in person and dyno it and develop the Carrera S tune, sticky States on his forums the tune is for all models and works fine which is a lie and is breaking my car day by day...
You did not understand me. Tuning in general is not the problem poor unreliable tuners are.
You picked a tune/tuner that is still experimenting on cars and yours is one. They knew your car was an S from the start. You are getting BS from them. And why new turbos on an S car with 900 miles. If you were that anxious you should have gotten a TT.
Old 05-28-2018 | 04:23 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Penn4S
You did not understand me. Tuning in general is not the problem poor unreliable tuners are.
You picked a tune/tuner that is still experimenting on cars and yours is one. They knew your car was an S from the start. You are getting BS from them. And why new turbos on an S car with 900 miles. If you were that anxious you should have gotten a TT.
This.

Also lol @ the NA guys talking smack and making fun of guys with TT/TTS 911's.

Anyway, you have to blame yourself for all of this. You jumped the gun on something that has had minimal to no testing. This is why many of us waited for a true and tested tuner like Cobb. I personally haven't heard of GINTANI and a ton of these other tuners/shops.. People know who and what Cobb is. Do you think the common person/tuner cares about you or your car? If so, I have bad news for you. They want your money and publicity. Whatever else happens is all on you. The car scene is very douchey weird. None of these guys are even breaking a sweat over this and I bet you're getting laughed at. Learn to have trust issues.

Stop driving your car. Buy the Cobb. Go to a reliable local tuner. Done.. FYI Cobb is claiming well over 600whp reliably on your turbos.

or

Revert to stock, sell your parts and call it a day.
Old 05-28-2018 | 04:24 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

And there you have it.
Old 05-28-2018 | 04:47 PM
STG
Race Director

In all seriousness, things like this really suck. Wish guys would get on the boards sometimes and ask for advice first. So many times they come on only when there's been an issue. In all sorts of areas related to cars.
Old 05-28-2018 | 05:01 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

A sad story, but Sticky/Gintani have sounded dubious from the start. My 991.2 C2 is coming up on two years and I will probably eventually tune it, with the following conditions:

1) The factory warranty is up
2) A tune from a reputable tuner with a couple of years of experience and well-documented performance
3) Numerous, positive, first-hand customer reviews
3) Modest power expectations. I don't expect to my tuned base C2 to outrun a TTS. Taking my 370 hp to perhaps 450 will be more than enough.
Old 05-28-2018 | 05:47 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soler18
Alex@gintani tuned my car the same as sticky’s car which is a base model carrera, the problem is my car is a Carrera S
So you sent $6K to a guy on the internet who promised you 24 hour turnaround on a tune and parts that you knew he had only developed for a base Carrera even though you have a Carrera S, and you are surprised it didn't work out? Sorry but you two deserve each other. As my grandmother used to say, every pot has its cover.
Old 05-28-2018 | 06:03 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

After enduring sticky's obnoxious posts here, not too surprising to hear how easy he'd screw someone. Never trust a guy who gloats about how great he is and how he can do this and do that. OP, hope you get it all sorted out and get your car fixed right and got your money back.

Quick Reply: 530WHP 991.2 BOOSTADDICT STAGE 1 REVIEW