Sponsored by:

911T Light Weight Glass - Defrost/fog, cleaning, and tinting

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911T Light Weight Glass - Defrost/fog, cleaning, and tinting

When I went to order my 911T I found out that the option to delete the light weight glass was not there for the 2019 model year. I was thinking of doing this cause I know from living the Northern region of the US, it's very useful having the defroster. So now I will be having the light weight glass regardless. I was wondering how the manufacturer gets around it, because I thought in some states it is a requirement on new cars. However, I could be mistaken.

I was wondering how the light weight glass would be without the defroster. I don't think there is any small fan back there blowing warm air... like a car from the 60's..

Anyways, random thoughts going through my brain then led me wonder about cleaning and care for these windows. I've heard they are hard like Gorilla Glass, but didn't know if they are more susceptible to scratching. Thoughts of cleaning with 0000 steal wool a no-no etc...

Then I was thinking of tinting the windows since I now live in Florida. Anyone heard any reasons not to put tint on the light weight glass?
Old 05-27-2018, 04:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Why would anyone use steel wool to clean glass?

Use dedicated glass only white terry cloth towels. Never washed with fabric softener. Make glass cleaner with denatured alcohol and distilled water. 1 part alcohol to 2 parts water. Spray cloth. Clean glass. Buff dry with second towel.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:29 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are Gorilla Glass. Why would a defroster be a requirement?
Old 05-27-2018, 04:45 PM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

0000 Steel wool is great for cleaning windshields. Especially here in Florida with all the LOVE BUGs or any bugs for that matter. It will not scratch regular glass. Every so often I clean with some soap and water and steel wool and my windshield looks as good as new for clarity. Sometimes I do my rear window to get rid up road grime.

If I remember correctly, in New York State it is mandatory for all new cars to have a rear window defroster. It is sited for safety is what I recall. I tried to buy a GEO Metro in 1994 without it to save money back when I wanted a new car to drive 90 miles round trip to college and not spend the $$$ on fuel.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered my T in NYS without a rear defroster. No issue. On the steel wool, bodyshops have been cleaning glass with it forever. Just make sure to rinse your paint VERY well. If a errant strand stays on the paint it will leave rust mark.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You could try the steel wool on your cellphone screen to be sure it’s safe for the gorilla glass. If you screw up the cellphone NBD. The lightweight glass is $4k to replace.

You could tint it, but that would double the weight.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:45 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why would anyone use steel wool to clean glass?

Use dedicated glass only white terry cloth towels. Never washed with fabric softener. Make glass cleaner with denatured alcohol and distilled water. 1 part alcohol to 2 parts water. Spray cloth. Clean glass. Buff dry with second towel.
A clay bar is awesome for cleaning glass. I have a Nanoskin mitt that is my go-to for glass.
https://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-au...ine-grade.html

Waffle weave microfiber towels are far superior to terry cloth for drying glass.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:01 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

My favorite glass cleaning cloth is this green Wypall:

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: 911T Light Weight Glass - Defrost/fog, cleaning, and tinting